Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
Maybe its because I grew up with the character and read many of the classic stories you guys have been posting scans of, but I'm not as worried about that angle

If....

The Shang we got at the end of MoKF might be the definitive version you are looking for.

By that time in the series Shang is fairly comfortable as a secret agent ( Shen Kuei would have called him assimilated) complete with cool car and pad as befitting a secret agent guy.

But he stopped being the walking fortune cookie that some of his earlier adventures made him.

I'm hoping MCU Shang is more like the Shang of the Monech/Gulacy/Zeck run.
Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. Reading the TPB of Shang released a couple of months ago, I realized that while there were moments of racial stereotypes this and Yellow Peril that, the story still held up. The action was still cool, and Shang himself wasn't too much of a stereotype. Rather, I saw him as being very thoughtful and observant. While other people were discriminatory towards him, he still seemed confident and aware that yeah stereotypes are bad. Plus, he and the series could be progressive at times. There were occasions where (gasp!) he showed affection towards a women and was allowed to be passionate. So, I still find the series to be worthwile, though it could be updated here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
So, should Shang's mother remain a European-American woman (kind of a reversal of Kung Fu's Caine's parentage; a trope to presumably make Shang more sympathetic to American readers)? Should this be a mystery for now?
That's a dilemma I had as well. How accurate do we go with Shang? If the movie goes this route, than Shang wouldn't be full-blooded Chinese. Rather, he's Hapa, and then may have to have a Hapa actor play him. Personally, I'm fine with either a Hapa or full-blooded Asian play him. However, I'm pretty firm on the actor playing Shang to have some form of Chinese descent. That Chinese descent has to be there.