Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

I have this issue. The interaction between Shang and Elektra is straight up awesome.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    A bit too much of a pretty boy for my tastes. I like http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1248798/?ref_=tt_cl_t6 . Sure he's Viet but his kung fu was pretty impressive even vis-a-vis Tony Jaa.

I like Donnie Yen but he's getting long in the tooth for Shang. Jackie Wu Jing is great but I don't think he really speaks English. I really like Daniel Wu as well, he speaks perfect English since he's from California but his martial arts skills are okay at best.

But mostly I just hope they get a real Asian guy for the part and not cop out and hire some Eurasian kid who'll be easier to digest for American audiences. Knowing my luck and Hollywood they'll gender/racebend him to a Eurasian chick. Is Maggie Q available they'll ask.
    Eddie Peng does tend to look a bit too "pretty" for my tastes as well, but it makes him a bit more marketable both in North America and China. He's also fluent in English, and has some decent martial arts experience (both your over-the-top Hong Kong cinema stuff and MMA). He's also a fairly good actor. I always thought Daniel Wu, Will Yun Lee or Andy On could fit the role as well. In Daniel Wu's case, Shang's character would be virtually identical to his character in AMC's Into the Badlands, and Will Yun Lee has already played as villain and anti-hero in Elektra and The Wolverine respectively. Johnny Nguyen, while I would agree could fit the role to a degree, simply doesn't have the acting pedigree that Disney/Marvel seems to be going for with their casting. Wu Jing's English is bearable, but certainly not what would be expected of Shang-Chi who, surpassing all tropes and stereotypes, speaks perfect English in the comics. Donnie Yen is a bit old now, but either him or Collin Chou would be perfect as The Cat, I think. Chow Yun Fat or Ken Watanabe would be good as Fu Manchu/Zheng Zu, and Leiko Wu could be passably played by Maggie Q, Shu Qi or Jamie Cheung.

One thing for certain is there's no shortage of Asian actors/actresses in this day and age who can take up these roles, but whether or not they will actually cast them (let alone produce a Shang-Chi film) is questionable.

Relevant to this thread:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/iqkg/

BANNED

Default Elektra, Shang-Chi and Natasha? WIN!!!

All three are perfect for any of the Marvel Netflix series
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 11-03-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    All three are perfect for any of the Marvel Netflix series
    Yeah. Just happy it appears the Iron Fist, Marvel's Orientalist Avenger's TV series is cancelled. He'll get a TV movie though.

My dream!

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    ....Now, that's a damn good t-shirt! Maybe they ship to Hong Kong .

Also, I've seen they are reprinting the old Master Of Kung Fu series. Looks nice. Maybe it'll be available on digital? In any case, I'm in the mood for some 70's Kung Fu/espionage action. I'll take a look.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Amazing Member

And amidst the absence of Shang-Chi news...

BANNED

I`m finally getting the whole collection!

Fantastic Member

Yes, the news that the old MOKF color series is going to be reprinted starting in Summer 2016 is definitely the best news I've ever heard in some time - superb. I had thought the series would never be reprinted due to the copyright issues with the S. Rohmer estate (they own some of the characters that were in these comics).

Shang Chi, Leiko Wu, Nick Fury and Black Widow by Gulacy.
    MKF by GULACY.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

That is gorgeous. Makes me wonder when we'll get a Shang chi movie or tv series

Just thought I'd add my two cents on something. I recently had lunch with a friend of mine from Mainland China. As we've been talking about how to enter into the Chinese market on these boards as of late, I asked her opinion about how Marvel could gain the attention of the Chinese audience. When I told her about Marvel's attempts of Chinese superheroes that are run by the Communist Party and spout off Communist slogans, she laughed at that. This isn't the 50s or 60s anymore. Chinese isn't all about Mao of Communist slogans. The idea of a CCP sponsored superheroes who defended China against evil threats seemed strange to her, mainly because these things are not what the Chinese audience is interested in (she's a mid-20s woman who isn't that interested in superheroes, so take that view with a grain of salt).

So I thought I'd take a different approach. I told her about Shang-Chi. I told her the story of Shang, how he was raised by a father who wanted to save the world. To do so, he taught his son to be a master in all forms of Kung Fu. I then told her how his father didn't want Shang to help him save the world, but rather conquer it. And so, Shang fights against his father and his evil plans.

She was DEFINITELY interested in that story. For her, it was unique and different, something that was unexpected. And I think that the Chinese audience (and hell, how about every other audience out there too) would find that appealing as well.

So yeah, Marvel, here's hoping we get to see a new Shang something in the "All-New, All-Different." Indeed, I'm a little miffed that Shang hasn't made an appearance yet!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    ....Now, that's a damn good t-shirt! Maybe they ship to Hong Kong .

Also, I've seen they are reprinting the old Master Of Kung Fu series. Looks nice. Maybe it'll be available on digital? In any case, I'm in the mood for some 70's Kung Fu/espionage action. I'll take a look.
    Yes, it is a GREAT t-shirt

BANNED

My dream!

Your dream must come TRUE!