Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    It's a shame Shang chi has been demoted down to iron fist's ethnic friend especially when iron fist himself could have been a wonderful opportunity to diversify the marvel u but at least he might get a Netflix series out of it, which will be nice. There's a lot of potential there
    You've decided that. If he appears in the show he might have a crucial role, he could easily be the person who helps IF adapt to fighting in the real world. There are any number of possibilities beyond 'his ethnic friend'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Hi Mantis Girl 94,

What do you think of these scans from Master Of Kung Fu #48? (Published in 1976)

Always loved these panels. Very reminiscent of the underground lab scene from "Enter the Dragon!"
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    You've decided that. If he appears in the show he might have a crucial role, he could easily be the person who helps IF adapt to fighting in the real world. There are any number of possibilities beyond 'his ethnic friend'.
    Quite agreed. If the rumors are true, I'm pretty sure that Shang will have a crucial role and I certainly believe that subservience won't be one of them.

As for the potential appearance of Shang, I highly nominate Philip Ng to play the part:

Here's a guy who is Chinese American who has a been making a ton of waves over here in Hong Kong. Trust me, the guy has the real martial arts and acting skills to pull off a terrific Shang-Chi!
    "I am a man of peace."

Good to hear that Shang Chi will be featured after all.

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Gil Kane!!!

Master of Kung Fu Vol. 1 #32 (September, 1975) Cover Art by: Gil Kane & Mike Esposito

Phillip seems like an interesting choice

Hi all. Sorry that I haven't posted in a while, but over the past couple of months, there have been a lot of ideas that I've been thinking about concerning our favorite master of Kung Fu. Definitely like to hear your thoughts on them:

- Shang-Chi is a character who has the potential to be in great stories with a number of different Marvel characters. Indeed, the two which come to mind most prominently for me are Black Widow and Black Panther. Both of them have interacted with Shang in the past, but these encounters have only hinted at the possible stories which could be told.

Black Widow seems like a wonderful choice for a number of reasons. While both Shang and Natasha have espionage experience, I think what could make for a great story would be the shared upbringing. Both hardly had "normal" childhoods as both were raised at very young ages to be the best and deadliest in their fields. At the same time, Natasha has a more cold and calculating view on life while Shang is more compassionate and peaceful. While Shang despises games of death and deceit, Natasha unquestionably plays them. I'd love to see a conversation between these two.

The same could be said with Shang and Black Panther. Rereading some of Hudlin's Black Panther issues where Shang was a guest star, I was struck at how similar yet different Shang and Black Panther are. Yes, both are two of the best martial artists in the MU, but both are also linked to legacies and rule. T'Challa is the latest in the line of Black Panthers and kings of Wakanda, while Shang is heir to a secret criminal empire that spans centuries. Still, T'Challa, embraces his heritage. He acknowledges the nobility behind it, but also accepts the position's weight and burden. On the other hand, Shang runs away from his heritage and fights against it, wanting nothing to do with it. These two warrior sons of (in)famous legacies would certainly have a ton of things to talk about.

Any other characters you'd like to see Shang interact with?
    "I am a man of peace."

Chi, Fury, Natasha and Wu.
    MKF by GULACY.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

So who would make a really good villain for Shang? For me, I think we've got to expand Shang's villains list and I definitely think that Shang's villains should be made of some of the most bloodthirsty, cunning, violent, f'ed up mother&*()@$ in the Marvel Universe. This idea was brought up a couple of years ago, but looking at it now, I definitely see the story potential behind it. These characters would most certainly clash with someone like Shang, who is the complete opposite, a peaceful, compassionate, and fairly mentally balanced individual.

Thus, the villains I'd nominate for Shang would include characters like Mr. X, Daken, Bullseye, Nuke, Crossbones, Kraven, and Kingpin. I think these villains would underestimate Shang, and think that he's a tree hugging hippie. I definitely think Shang would prove them wrong. Yeah, he's a man of peace, but he's a warrior, a fighter, who fights like ten tigers .

Anyone else you'd nominate to be a Shang villain?
    "I am a man of peace."

I really would like to see Shang wipe the floor with Davos face.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Who else wants to see Shang exhibit more Kung Fu knowledge in the comics? We've seen Shang serve as a master to various characters, most famously Spider-Man. Thus, we know that he can teach is knowledgable in Kung Fu, but what Kung Fu does he know?

Personally, I would love for Shang to demonstrate more intimate knowledge of Kung Fu, because a Kung Fu master's knowledge can be vast. For instance, I'd expect Shang to be very familiar with the chi meridian points, the things that an acupunturist manipulates when they do acupuncture. Shang should definitely know something like this:

He could definitely know where to strike on the body to block or unblock someone's chi for harmful or healing purposes. Being so skilled, he should be able to do let's say a dim mak death touch and kill someone with one strike.

Furthermore, he should be able to do all the most famous of Kung Fu techniques. Though I believe it was done during one of his miniseries, I want to see Shang pull off a one inch punch in the comics. And whoever is at the end of that should be flying a least a 100 feet back :

"I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I really would like to see Shang wipe the floor with Davos face.

Good choice! Again, I can see the story potential between these two to be very compelling. Whereas Shang doesn't want power or glory, Davos is power hungry and wants to overtake a position of rulership in K'un L'un. It's not too far off to think that Davos would want to get Shang's father's forces and use them to takeover K'un L'un.

Writes itself, baby, writes itself !
    "I am a man of peace."

Just one final thought: what makes Shang's father

different from this guy:

Indeed, how does Ra's differ from Zheng Zu? Both are from the Orient, incredibly long lived, seek to rule the world, have an army of assassins, as well as share complicated relationships with their kids. How do you make sure that people don't think of Zheng Zu as a Ra's Al Ghul rip off?
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Good choice! Again, I can see the story potential between these two to be very compelling. Whereas Shang doesn't want power or glory, Davos is power hungry and wants to overtake a position of rulership in K'un L'un. It's not too far off to think that Davos would want to get Shang's father's forces and use them to takeover K'un L'un.

Writes itself, baby, writes itself !
    Man, I want to see Aja or Deodato drawing ti ASAP.

I reckon now that black panther has blown up in prominence, Shang chi will be next. It's all about finding the right creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Just one final thought: what makes Shang's father

different from this guy:

Indeed, how does Ra's differ from Zheng Zu? Both are from the Orient, incredibly long lived, seek to rule the world, have an army of assassins, as well as share complicated relationships with their kids. How do you make sure that people don't think of Zheng Zu as a Ra's Al Ghul rip off?
    I think it's the father/son dynamic. Batman and Ra's don't really see each other in that father and son way, more like a son in law whereas with Shang it's all about rebellion against the status quo. In fact, that's probably the most prominent difference. Zheng lu supports and upholds the status quo and ra's wants it changed