Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Mike Deodato Jr.!!!

Mike IS Shang-Chi.

Speaking of Bruce Lee, I'd love to see an artist latch onto the fact that Lee was an accomplished dancer and give Shag Chi a moment or two on the dance floor, just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    To me, Bruce Lee is essential to Shang Chi. Prior to Lee, the vast majority of Hong Kong kung fu films were period pieces, set in the past. They were usually tales of dueling philosophies of kung fu, with a spiritual hero and a greedy villain, or bandits preying on the weak, or similar basic good vs evil themes. Bruce Lee is one of the first "modern" kung fu heroes, and certainly the most successful. For years after his peak, Hong Kong was dedicated to replicating his films and formulas. Lee's films were (mostly) set in the present, as was his breakout role of Kato, which was a huge hit in Hong Kong. Enter the Dragon is his masterpiece, though Game of Death was supposed to top it, until his untimely death. He is a modern Chinese man who is taking on killers and criminals, but for his own motivations and with more modern techniques. Previous films revolved around elaborate scenes of technique and counter technique, until the hero gains the upper hand or unleashes a super-technique. Lee's philosophy centered around fast strikes, a varied attack (based on fighting ranges) and devastating power. You don't see as many long exchanges as much as you see him plow through multiple opponents, on his way to the bigger guns. Game of Death has him take out the grunts to get to the mysteries at the different levels of the building, each of which he has to defeat. The ultimate mystery opponent is at the top, the giant fighter (Kareem Abdul Jabbar). It was that modern kung fu hero that informed Shang Chi, more than any other influence, especially under Moench. Moench and Gulacy took Shang out of the pajamas; but, were forced to put him back. However, they used every opportunity to put him in more modern attire. The Si Fan were in modern uniforms and used high tech weaponry. Only Fu Manchu remained in traditional robes.

No, you still need that Bruce Lee template of modern kung fu warrior, who employs techniques from all disciplines, based on what works best for the situation. That was the center of Jeet Kun Do. Bruce was truly one of the pioneers of the mixed martial arts fighter, which is ably demonstrated at the beginning of Enter the Dragon, when he fights Sammo Hung. He uses grappling techniques as well as traditional kung fu strikes. There were grappling-based forms of kung fu; but, they weren't as prominent as the striking forms. Bruce trained with Gene Le Bell, a pro wrestler and champion judoka (AAU Champion) in submission grappling techniques, well before Gracie jiu-jitsu became known. He also combined boxing footwork and combinations with traditional kung fu strikes and kicks. He was a dancer and understood the value of movement to avoid an opponents attack and set up a counter-attack. That's Shang Chi, in the best of creative hands (and it doesn't get better than Moench and Gulacy).
    You definitely raise good arguments regarding the influence of Bruce Lee on Shang. And I'm certainly aware and supportive of the Bruce Lee component. While I would want him to maintain that foundation in the Chinese martial arts (as well as display it more often), I definitely envision Shang exhibiting those qualities of Bruce Lee, like his openness to other styles. Most certainly he should be learning non-Chinese and modern hand-to-hand fighting techniques. I think we saw glimpses of it during Secret Avengers when he was sparring with Cap, when he seemed to be more of a MMA fighter than a traditional Kung Fu one:

I'd like to make this quality work within the Marvel Universe. I see Shang training in Wakandan martial arts with Black Panther or Hand techniques with Elektra. I would like to see Shang maybe not confined to a specific uniform, but more modern clothing. And yes, having him do cha-cha like Bruce would add more character and dimension to him, make him seem less stuffy.

Still, what I mean by not being a Bruce Lee pastiche is not having him always look like Bruce Lee. For instance, during the Secret Wars miniseries, he sported longer hair and a beard:

Or perhaps he can have something more stylish and modern:

He would still have the attitude, mentalities, and skills of Bruce, but the physical appearance would just be different. I suggest this because the appearance of Bruce Lee is just so well-known and copied in other forms of media. People are already familiar with it and used to it. It's not as eye-catching as it once was.

So, I think just a slightly different appearance would get people to notice Shang.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Yeah, I can dig that look. Reminds me a little of how they used to model Tony Stark on John Holloway but then the movie came out and they started to model him more and more on RDJ

Dated clothes but still awesome!

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Dated clothes but still awesome!

Dated now; but, contemporary then. It was a step up from walking around barefoot, in the pajamas.

In the Mordillo storyline, Gulacy actually put Shang in a red jumpsuit and black boots, that looked pretty good (think SHIELD uniform-style jumpsuit). His intention was to make that Shang's regular fighting suit; but, the powers that be said he had to stay in his previous outfit.

So when will the character make his debut in animation, a video game, and also in live-action? It's way past time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So when will the character make his debut in animation, a video game, and also in live-action? It's way past time.
    Oh yes, absolutely. As mentioned a couple of posts before, we might be seeing Shang in an Iron Fist role, though it's still up in the air as to whether or not that is actually happening. I still like to know what's happening in the Marvel comics proper. A couple of years ago, Shang was making prominent appearances in Avengers, but now, well, nothing. .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

You know who would be great to get if they go with suave Shang Chi? James Chen. If they go with the more traditional martial arts Shang though they should go for Jay Chou

I would like to see Shang in a updated version of Secret Avengers.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm so ready for the Omnibus next week!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm so ready for the Omnibus next week!!
    Cool!

Fingers crossed for a brand new ongoing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I would like to see Shang in a updated version of Secret Avengers.
    Maybe he will get a solo in the new marvel now?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Oh yes, absolutely. As mentioned a couple of posts before, we might be seeing Shang in an Iron Fist role, though it's still up in the air as to whether or not that is actually happening. I still like to know what's happening in the Marvel comics proper. A couple of years ago, Shang was making prominent appearances in Avengers, but now, well, nothing. .
    There was that Deadly Hands mini, but it was underwhelming. I almost wonder if that was another protect the trademark thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Maybe he will get a solo in the new marvel now?