Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I hope Leiko is alive

Hey all. I just thought I'd post more of my random Shang-Chi thoughts.

I've said in the past that I'd like to know more about the masters who taught Shang-Chi. I'm not too sure if they were covered in any of the old issues of Master of Kung Fu or Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. Still, I think there is a wealth of potential there. Who were these masters? How did they train Shang? Did they know who Shang's father was? Did they try to subvert Fu Manchu's attempts to turn Shang evil?

All of these are good questions to ask. As for who the masters should be, I definitely think it would be cool if one of Shang's masters was a woman. I'm thinking this master could be along the lines of Zhang Ziyi's character in "The Grandmaster." This person would be an elegant, refined, beautiful, but fierce warrior, like what we see here in this clip:

Would be awesome to see Shang pay his masters a visit.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

This was posted before, but it necessitates reposting. The cover to next month's Wolverine #8, featuring Shang-Chi and Iron Fist:

PAUL CORNELL (W) • Kris Anka (A)
    Cover BY STEVE MCNIVEN
    VARIANT COVER BY RYAN STEGMAN
    • Logan, Iron Fist, Shang Chi vs. an army of deadly ninja.
    • Three Months to Die – The title says it all!
    Here's hoping Shang shines brightly in this issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

Pretty sweet image from Secret Avengers!
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

Never did cared for Shang Chi too much of a Bruce Lee copy for my taste. That and I get tired of writers wanting to relive the glory days of their nostalgic youths of Bruce Lee movies by inserting him in the Marvel U.

What an odd message to leave in the Shang chi appreciation thread

I'm glad that Shang wears shoes/slippers regularly now. The 70s era when he seemed to be going barefoot wherever he went was... odd, in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Perhaps Leiko will be coming back after all...
    Easy. She didn't die in the first place. Because that sure didn't look like Leiko Wu.

I look back at that Gulacy image and I see that Wolverine: First Class image and they remind me of the type of character I like Shang to be. I don't really like how he's been in Avengers or was in the first issue of this new mini, but I love how he used to be. I hope he can return.

Invincible Member

A classic Shang piece of art here. Indeed, this image here is pretty significant since it was the first time I saw of Shang.

Even by today's standards, this art just rocks. It's simple and perhaps a little cliche. Audiences have seen martial art guys wielding nunchukus for decades. Still, when Shang does it, it's simply badass!

One thing that I liked about Paul's art is that during the fight scenes, you could see actual fighting techniques. A lot of times an artist will draw a martial arts master, but the fight will look like any other superhero fight.

I hope the first issue sold well

Shang Chi by Paul Gulacy...
    GULACY.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Amazing Member

I've said in the past that I'd like to know more about the masters who taught Shang-Chi. I'm not too sure if they were covered in any of the old issues of Master of Kung Fu or Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. Still, I think there is a wealth of potential there. Who were these masters? How did they train Shang? Did they know who Shang's father was? Did they try to subvert Fu Manchu's attempts to turn Shang evil?
    A few of his masters made appearances in the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu books, but the ones that showed up were all loyal to Fu Manchu. Despite his infamy, Shang's father was supposed to be an incredibly charismatic man who many viewed as being an avatar of righteousness, so it's no surprise that even many of Shang's masters would be fiercely loyal to him.

But on that note, I also think it would be nice to see more of Shang's training days. Obviously, many of his masters would be well versed in Chinese martial arts - Mizongyi, Hung Gar, Bajiquan, Tanglangquan, Shuai Jiao, you name it... but it would also be nice to see him fulfill his role of being a master of all martial arts by having him train under masters of Muay Thai, Greco Roman Wrestling, Western Boxing/Kickboxing, Silat, Brazilian/traditional Jujitsu, Judo, and various forms of Karate.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Never did cared for Shang Chi too much of a Bruce Lee copy for my taste. That and I get tired of writers wanting to relive the glory days of their nostalgic youths of Bruce Lee movies by inserting him in the Marvel U.
    That's like saying Captain America is too much a copy of your typical American action hero. Aside from being an Asian martial artist, Shang is very unique from Bruce Lee, and that's hardly an appropriate category to base all your judgement on anyway. He's as much James Bond as he is Lee's character from Enter the Dragon, and he was (and to a degree still is) a key Asian representative in comics. While you could argue he still falls under certain stereotypes, he's a statement against the Yellow Peril caricatures of his time as well as the hypersexualized representation of Asian females by characters like Psylocke.
    Last edited by Geno; 05-28-2014 at 12:19 PM.

This was posted before, but it necessitates reposting. The cover to next month's Wolverine #8, featuring Shang-Chi and Iron Fist:

Here's hoping Shang shines brightly in this issue!
    Damn lol. That will be 3 straight issues of Wolverine I'll be buying. #6 and #7 for Pete Wisdom and #8 for Shang Chi and Danny.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Pretty sweet image from Secret Avengers!
    Well said my friend. Shang-Chi + Deodato = GREATNESSS!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    What an odd message to leave in the Shang chi appreciation thread
    LOL. My thoughts as well.