Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wouldn't mind if he joined the Defenders in the comics.
    Indeed. Watching The Defenders and Black Panther over the past couple of months has really made me want to see Shang-Chi play a more prominent role in both the MCU and the comics. There were just so many moments throughout the Netflix shows and movies where I've gone, "Damn, you know what? Shang could so totally fit in this scene."

The same thing could be said about the comics. Here's a guy who has ties and the respect of some of the most recognizable Marvel characters right now. Unfortunately, looking at upcoming Marvel comics solicits, I see that he isn't featured in marvel anything (I'm still crossing my fingers that he'll make a surprise appearance in Iron Fist season 2). This is a shame since he has so much untapped potential. I envision him walking side by side with Black Panther in a Wakandan palace, sympathizing with him about the challenges of inheriting a legacy. Or teaching his student Spider-Man Kung Fu on a NYC rooftop.

Instead, he's nowhere. He was definitely missing during that big splash page during the last issue of Defenders .

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would love for him to start getting a consistent supporting cast so that one day he can reach the same heights as black panther has
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He has a support cast. He needs a good run by a top notch creative team and solid marketing by Marvel to put him in the sights of the comics fans and the general public.
    What should his supporting cast be? What should be the solid marketing?

Bring back Leiko Wu as a proper MI-6 agent. Give him a new protegee to teach. Unleash the theme of a son who strives to fight off the machinations of a megalomanic father who has manipulated events throughout history. Have him get down and dirty with Triads in Hong Kong. Focus on cool villains like Zaran and the Cat. Take C-List villains like Razor Fist, Skullcrusher, and Shockwave and update them with badass looks. Take his other villains that are rooted in Orientalist trappings and add real East and Central Asian cultural influences. Finally, get every martial artist, assassin, sociopath and tough guy in the Marvel Universe (Mr. X, Taskmaster, Bullseye, Nuke, Crossbones, Batroc, etc.) and unleash them on Shang. And watch as they are all beaten, one-by-one, by a man of peace...who fights like ten tigers .

Again, just some ideas .

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think Greg Pak might be a good choice.
    Greg Pak showed a lot of great aspects of Shang's personality. I liked how Pak humanized Shang and added more layers of character. Here's a character who not only knows fighting, but also understands battle strategy. Plus, he doesn't mind singing karaoke. There has to be a writer who somehow is able to capture Shang's knowledge of the martial arts and Eastern philosophy without him sounding like a fortune cookie. We need someone who understands East Asian culture and history and can make those elements work within the Marvel Universe. We need someone who can make Shang relatable and real and not a one note, stoic Asian man.

Finding the right writer, that's a difficult question to answer.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think Greg Pak might be a good choice.
    I would read the hell out of that. He would be perfect. He wrote him so well in the totally awesome hulk

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He has a support cast. He needs a good run by a top notch creative team and solid marketing by Marvel to put him in the sights of the comics fans and the general public.
    Yeah but then his run ends and woof he's off somewhere else. I want consistency and commitment. I know he has what it takes to turn him into a star and I want to see more of that

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #62 Mar 1978
    China Seas Saga. Part 1 of 7. "Red Seas!"
    Shang Chi sets out on a perilous quest in search of Juliette.

As the Master of Kung Fu battles pirates on the high seas,

one of his deadliest enemies schemes behind the scenes.

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Jim Craig and John Tartag.

The Cat is cool!!!!

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I actually preferred the Cat to Shang Chi as a kid. Totally a visual thing - I loved the tattoo and much preferred his haircut/"costume".

One of my favorite fight scenes, ever.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

DOMINO #4
    • GAIL SIMONE (W) • DAVID BALDEON (A)
    • Cover by GREG LAND
    • SOMEONE’S ABOUT TO GET LUCKY…
    • …and it just might be Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu! If he plays his cards right, that is…
    • Domino’s search for answers about her past takes her to Hong Kong!
    • Will she stay on the straight and narrow? Or go right for the seedy underbelly?
    • 32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

Good for him .

I think its a good move for the character and curious to see how Ms.Simone handles him.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    DOMINO #4
    • Cover by GREG LAND
    • …and it just might be Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu! If he plays his cards right, that is…
    • Will she stay on the straight and narrow? Or go right for the seedy underbelly?

Lucky Shang (in more ways then one) .

All that aside, it's nice to see him get a prominent role in a book, even as Domino's possible new beau.

DOMINO #4
    • Cover by GREG LAND

This just made my day.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

finally, he gets to hook up with someone.

DOMINO #4
    • Cover by GREG LAND

I was pleasantly surprised to see this as part of the solicitations. Indeed, I've been somewhat despondent whenever I've looked in the Marvel solicitations over the past several months and not find Shang-Chi anything. It looked as though this month would be no exception, until I reached the bottom of the page.

I agree with the other posters here, I think this is a good move for the character as well as for the audience. Shang has had relationships in the past, so it's good to see that legacy continued. That adds a dimension to him, that he can be the best martial artist in the Marvel Universe AND a lover. Indeed, on a personal note, the Asian-American male in me appreciates this. After so, SO many years of Asian men being perceived as emasculated, unromantic, strangers who were always in the background and perceived as being creepy and unsettling, I can tell you it feels very good to see Shang on that cover. Plus, the issue takes place in my home away from home, Hong Kong? That makes my smile even bigger .

I'm a little cautious, though. Shang with Domino? Personally, I was hoping he'd hook up with Black Widow. I'm not too familiar with Domino. The relationship seems a bit random. Still, I'll see how Simone plays this out. In any case, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for this issue!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 04-17-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

It’s an incredible cover. I love it to pieces.

I’ve never thought of shang and neena before but now I see this art I can really see it working

Hey all. Just a quick question: has anyone been reading the new Shang-Chi TPB:

As someone who's always wanted to brush up on my Shang-Chi history, I decided to purchase this on Comixology. There are some misses with the TPB. Reading over the past issues, I couldn't help be realize how dated it was. The big issues, like the orientalism and "Yellow Peril" tropes are prominent. (Is it just me, or was Shang-Chi's coloring just a tad too yellow?) Terms like "Chinaman" and "chink" definitely would not fly today. Shang-Chi's characterization can be very "Spock-like" and straight forward. At times, his speaking does edge towards fortune cookieism. And the costume........ugh, definitely hasn't aged well.

HOWEVER, overall, even with the criticisms, I really am enjoying this TPB. Fu Manchu, while the epitome of the Yellow Peril, is a REALLY great character. Man, he definitely impressed me with his cunning, intelligence, and deviousness. Yes characters use derogatory terms, but the book makes it clear that these characters are the either backward in their thinking at best (like Black Jack Tarr) or just racist bad guys at worst. Shang never appears to be inferior or lower than any of the characters. Also, while he seems to self-narrate a lot, he also shows that he's very observant. He notices things and makes connections in ways that a lot people don't. That's something I hope shows up in modern depictions of the character. Fighting..............wow, I didn't realize how great the fighting could be! Though over 40 years old, I really enjoyed the fighting and action. Finally, I'm started to read the Moench/Gulacy portion of the book. Damn, these guys are starting to produce some really excellent stories! The writing and art are pretty cool.

So y'know what, this is a great TPB. Hopefully more of Shang-Chi's stories will become available.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Fu Manchu, while the epitome of the Yellow Peril, is a REALLY great character. Man, he definitely impressed me with his cunning, intelligence, and deviousness.
    He really is. He's one of the greatest creations of the pulp era, right up there with Conan.