Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

pavane.jpg
    p.a.v.a.n.e.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Hey all, just wanted to mention that Shang finally made his appearance in Domino #4 today. Keeping it simple, I really dug his appearance. He showed some excellent Kung Fu skills and had a nice, romantic outing with Domino. (The tux scene, very much like Shang.)

I liked it mainly b/c of Shang's characterization. He's serious, but not out there fortune cookie. Plus, let's just say there were a couple of shout-out's and guest appearances from Shang's rogues.

Can't wait for next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Brian Level MKF...

brian level MKF.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Fantastic Member

Just picked up a few MKF for my series , issue 126 a b covers bleeding black , super issue , battle world 1 to 4 and max series 1 2 3 and 5. Started reading the first series on weekend and am now on issue 32 . Finally got some time. Really enjoying it so far . Gotta find a couple of recent series yet , deadly hands spider island and maybe daughters of the dragon .

BANNED

Master of Kung Fu #66 Jul 1978
    China Seas Saga. Part 5 of 7. "Two Rivers!"
    Shang Chi finds himself in mortal combat with the deadly pirate Kogar.

Meanwhile, the plot behind the mysterious crates thickens.

Story by Doug Moench. Art by Jim Craig, Mike Zeck and M. Hands.

It could have worked. Indeed, Brandon Lee was a good fit for that role, considering he's part Chinese, part Caucasian like Shang. Would it have done well though? Considering the movies that Marvel was producing during this time, like Dolph Lundgren as the Punisher or Captain America with rubber ears, yeah, a Shang-Chi movie would have gone into B-movie territory.
    "I am a man of peace."

Interestingly enough, there have been a lot of articles that Brian Cronin has been publishing on Shang. The latest one is intriguing as it tackles the sensitive nature of Shang's skin color.

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-golden-coloring/

In a lot of the old comics, Shang had a golden hue to his skin, which, for me felt odd. It did veer into Orientalist/racist areas. What's really interesting for me is how people noticed this all the way back then as well:

A reader noted, "I am really annoyed at the artistic representation Orientals are given and I hope this will be corrected in future series. Their skin is not that deathly yellow pallor; neither is it Caucasian, but a suitable mix must be found."
    And how Marvel was left with a conundrum due to constraints at the time:

There is a single, crucial fact that you should be aware of, Jim, in regard to our coloring of Oriental characters in this and other Marvel titles. You suggest a "suitable mix" between the shades we are presently using, as if it were within our power to designate precisely which hues and tones we would like to use; unfortunately it is not. Our printer offers us a predetermined selection of 48 different colors and shades, excluding black and white, which we have to work with.

Within those limitations, there are only about three tones which might approximate the skin hue of Orientals - the color we use on Sir Denis and other Caucasians, the pale yellow we use on Fu Manchu and others, and the bronze shade we use on Shang-Chi himself. As you can see, there's not exactly a wide variety to choose from, and therefore we have settled on what seems like the only possible color, under the circumstances. Hope this clears things up a bit for you on the subject?
    The response refers to how there was little variety at the time. I get that. I guess Marvel is trying to say that it made the best choice at the time. But still....

At the same time, perhaps I gotta check myself. Because the article does mention the skin color of other Asian characters in the past, including Jimmy Woo and how racist it appears. When I looked at it though, I couldn't feel disturbed by it. Again, maybe I'm being ignorant here. There could be a huge part of the puzzle I'm missing. As crazy as it sounds, though I'm Asian, I'm not too familiar with Asian skin tones.

Something to think about.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Interestingly enough, there have been a lot of articles that Brian Cronin has been publishing on Shang. The latest one is intriguing as it tackles the sensitive nature of Shang's skin color.

https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-golden-coloring/

In a lot of the old comics, Shang had a golden hue to his skin, which, for me felt odd. It did veer into Orientalist/racist areas. What's really interesting for me is how people noticed this all the way back then as well:

And how Marvel was left with a conundrum due to constraints at the time:

The response refers to how there was little variety at the time. I get that. I guess Marvel is trying to say that it made the best choice at the time. But still....

At the same time, perhaps I gotta check myself. Because the article does mention the skin color of other Asian characters in the past, including Jimmy Woo and how racist it appears. When I looked at it though, I couldn't feel disturbed by it. Again, maybe I'm being ignorant here. There could be a huge part of the puzzle I'm missing. As crazy as it sounds, though I'm Asian, I'm not too familiar with Asian skin tones.

Something to think about.
    well, at least modern printing processes allow for much more nuanced diversity in skin tones.

I always felt Shang-Chi would make a good tv series or movie. After seeing Mile 22 and both of The Raid movies I think Iko Uwais would make a great Master of Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    I always felt Shang-Chi would make a good tv series or movie. After seeing Mile 22 and both of The Raid movies I think Iko Uwais would make a great Master of Kung Fu
    post a pic of this person.

so I think it's way past time for Shang to at least be in cartoons and video games. with ninjas being a reliable villain henchman trope, I'm surprised he's not made any appearances yet anywhere. That sucks, really. It's not like you have to have a reference to Fu Manchu anymore. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    post a pic of this person.

so I think it's way past time for Shang to at least be in cartoons and video games. with ninjas being a reliable villain henchman trope, I'm surprised he's not made any appearances yet anywhere. That sucks, really. It's not like you have to have a reference to Fu Manchu anymore. Sheesh.

Could Iko be the next Shang? We'd be splitting hairs here, but I don't feel he'd be the right fit. He has the talent, to be sure, but, well, personally, I do feel that someone who is of Chinese descent (and better yet half Chinese, half Caucasian) should play the role of Shang. Iko is Indonesian. Say what you will, but Shang has Chinese ethnicity, and I'd want someone who has that same ethnicity to play the role.

As for appearances, it was pretty cool how Shang was getting into the orbit of Amadeus Cho a couple of years back. He's also appeared in Domino's title. But yeah, I agree, it sucks looking at the solicitations every month and not seeing Shang appear anytime soon .
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

Marvel Studios Developing Shang Chi Film for Phase 4

The Rising and Advancing of the Spirit!!!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 12-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Let me be the first to congratulate the Shang-Chi Fans (especially Long)! I'm glad you guys are getting a chance to see your favorite character brought to life. Hopefully, this new development brings some interesting Shang-Chi Comics.

I am very happy for you in spite of what it may mean for Iron Fist.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Talking Happy 45th Anniversary 616 Shang-Chi!!! 1973-2018

Special Marvel Edition #15 Dec 1973
    "Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu!"
    Shang-Chi confronts five fighters on his way to Fu Manchu's inner sanctum, while Fu Manchu watches on a video monitor.

He remembers: his father, Fu Manchu, sent him on his first mission at 19 years old.
    He would assassinate Doctor Petrie, a Westerner who opposed Fu's plans, "the most evil man alive."
    Once in Mayfair, he found Petrie asleep and wondered how such an old man could contain such malice.
    Petrie awoke; Shang-Chi struck. He turned to go.

Denis Nayland Smith, in a wheelchair, faced him with gun drawn.
    Shang-Chi slapped the gun out of his hand. He turned to go.

Smith began to weep for Petrie. Shang-Chi was stunned. Smith explained the true nature of evil: Fu Manchu,

a megalomaniac with a global network of assassins, a genius with a rejuvenating potion,
    a dreamer with the goal of bringing the glory of China's imperial age to the whole world.
    Fu captured Smith in Burma and gave him to Tak, a sumo wrestler who mangled him. Smith pulls up his trouser leg....

Shang-Chi visited his mother, an American, at their home in Honan.
    She knew he would eventually learn the truth about his father but hoped it would not come so soon.

Shang-Chi went to his father's international headquarters.

In the present, Shang-Chi faces the last of the five fighters: Tak.
    To end the grueling battle, he seizes Tak's topknot and heaves him through a door.
    He finds a laboratory and hints of the monstrosities his father has created.
    One of them, an enhanced gorilla, almost ambushes him. He knocks it down a flight of stairs.
    "Excellent, Shang-Chi," says Fu Manchu. He lays out his vision for Shang-Chi and invites him to join the great work.

"Father ... you speak with absolute assurance, completely convinced that your
    vision is the only proper way ... and, like all men who speak thus, you are mad."
    He turns to go. "When next we meet, it will be as implacable enemies."

He steps out of his father's China and into a New York City street.
    "I have lost a father," he thinks, "and in all the world, I can never find another."

Written by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. Art by Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom.