Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Maybe its because I grew up with the character and read many of the classic stories you guys have been posting scans of, but I'm not as worried about that angle

If....

The Shang we got at the end of MoKF might be the definitive version you are looking for.

By that time in the series Shang is fairly comfortable as a secret agent ( Shen Kuei would have called him assimilated) complete with cool car and pad as befitting a secret agent guy.

But he stopped being the walking fortune cookie that some of his earlier adventures made him.

I'm hoping MCU Shang is more like the Shang of the Monech/Gulacy/Zeck run.
    Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. Reading the TPB of Shang released a couple of months ago, I realized that while there were moments of racial stereotypes this and Yellow Peril that, the story still held up. The action was still cool, and Shang himself wasn't too much of a stereotype. Rather, I saw him as being very thoughtful and observant. While other people were discriminatory towards him, he still seemed confident and aware that yeah stereotypes are bad. Plus, he and the series could be progressive at times. There were occasions where (gasp!) he showed affection towards a women and was allowed to be passionate. So, I still find the series to be worthwile, though it could be updated here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So, should Shang's mother remain a European-American woman (kind of a reversal of Kung Fu's Caine's parentage; a trope to presumably make Shang more sympathetic to American readers)? Should this be a mystery for now?
    That's a dilemma I had as well. How accurate do we go with Shang? If the movie goes this route, than Shang wouldn't be full-blooded Chinese. Rather, he's Hapa, and then may have to have a Hapa actor play him. Personally, I'm fine with either a Hapa or full-blooded Asian play him. However, I'm pretty firm on the actor playing Shang to have some form of Chinese descent. That Chinese descent has to be there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Interesting news about the MCU movie with Shang Chi.This should be great.
    I am hoping that this news means that a new Master of Kung Fu comic book will be made by Marvel as well because of synergie.
    I would like to read a new Shang Chi comic book by Peter David or Chris Clameront.I think they bring a tone of humanity to the characters they write that would be awesome to the Shang Chi characterisation and Steve Epting,Patrick Zircher or Ron Garney on the art duties.

Amazing news !!! I can't wait to see Shang Chi in the MCU and what a big budget martial arts movie by them look like.

I don't know if it's a marketing stunt with this news (I don't think that the case), and I'm sorry if that have already been posted, but there are two weeks ago, we have learnt that the great Stan Lee wanted Brandon Lee in Shang Chi role !!!:

https://www.inverse.com/article/5113...son?refresh=90

Apparently, Stan were friends with Linda (Bruce widow and Brandon mother) and Brandon lee, and wished to have him this role, that would have been amazing, he would have been perfect.

For the movie in the MCU, I think Marvel really need to find a new face, and someone extremely good in martial arts, I think an actor with some training and stunt double could be complicated for this kind of role, it will be a martial movie, they should hire a martial art actor; sadly I don't see nobody who can play him, ironically in the late 80's/early 90's we has 3 perfect actors with Brandon, Jet Li and Donnie Yen for this role; Jackie was maybe already a little too old, but that could have been really cool with him too, in the 80's he would have also been perfect.

I want something like this amazing fan trailer:

Marvel have done an amazing jobs with the fights sequences in their movies and tv show, for this movie they should push that to the max, they want an asian director, my choice would be Tsui Hark, and Stephen Chow, specially him, I think he have great potential to make a serious martial art movie.
    Last edited by Bolo; 12-05-2018 at 03:27 AM.

If they want an actor with some real presence and gifted in martial arts, Max Zhang could their Shang Chi, although he may be quite old for what they want. Stephen Chow is passionated about martial arts. I mean, Kung fu soccer was more about kung fu than it was about soccer. And Kung fu hustle was a vibrant love letter to old martial arts movies. The could hire Sammo Hung as fight choreographer, since he's as good with modern fighting as he is with more traditionnal martial arts. Not to mention he always manages to make wing chun look amazing.

Just want to say, I've been catching up on the old MOKF series on Comixology. Up around issues 30 or so now, and I have to say, it's a great read. It reminds me a lot of those Choose Your Own Adventure stories as a kid in terms of the plots and stories. I definitely feel that it's trying to continue the character of Bruce Lee from Enter the Dragon by having Shang as this spy who works for MI-6.

What's really interesting has been the letters section. I was very shocked to see who was reading Shang-Chi back in the day. Holy crap, you mean to tell me Ralph Macchio, former editor at Marvel Comics, was a fan of Shang-Chi? Pretty awesome. The name that really sticks out however has got to be William F. Wu. For those who don't know, Mr. Wu is a very prominent Asian-American writer of science fiction, fantasy, and crime fiction. He wrote a very definitive book on the Yellow Peril phenomenon in American media, as well as shed light on Asian-Americans in comics. I find it fascinating to read Mr. Wu's thoughts on Shang-Chi and his characters. It's like reading the beginnings of the Asian-American movements for better representation in media that are baring fruit today. Doing more research, I found out that Mr. Wu actually had a correspondence with MOKF writer Doug Moench, both in public and private. I heard the rumor that someone like Leiko Wu was actually based off of Mr. Wu.

In any case, really digging these old MOKF books.
    "I am a man of peace."

Will this thread be rebooted soon?
    "I am a man of peace."