Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

issue 3 tomorrow

Anyone like the new issue?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I'm more curious as to whom the masked individual behind Razorfist is. I almost want to say that's Midnight Sun...

Sadly, I thought issue 3 was no more impressive than the past issues. That reveal at the end only slightly balanced out everything else that was horribly wrong.

Shang-Chi vs. the White Dragon should not have lasted half as long as it did, and Shang shouldn't have needed Skullcrusher's assistance in crushing White Dragon. Now, if the artwork for the fight actually lived up to the awesome cover, that slight may have been forgivable and I'd accept that White Dragon simply got a boost in credibility. As it stands, the fight was just all-round disappointing.

Shang deserves so much better than this mini

I have a question for the long-time Shang-Chi fans on here. Would love to read the original series, but I don't have the money (or space) for the whole collection. What are some of the top stories from the original run (arcs or done-in-ones) that you guys would recommend?
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Hey all. Sorry that I haven't been posting in this thread. Unfortunately, obligations at work have taken a lot of my time. Still, I've certainly been thinking about Shang. Here are some thoughts:

- In regards to people's sentiments regarding the mini-series, yeah, I've been disappointed. I've made that clear in my reviews of the issues. Though there have been a few moments (indeed, JUST a few) in this series, I am disheartened to see how this might be the last Shang Chi centered anything for the forseeable future.

- Though some posters disagreed with me in the past, I do feel that Shang would make a great choice for the new Chinese team, The Ascendant. Personally, I think he could be the voice of conscious for that team. Being so open-minded, Shang could bring worldly perspectives that the Chinese would not consider. At the same time, being so open-minded, Shang could probably see the validity of some of the S.P.E.A.R.'s more questionable actions. I'd love to see how Shang would deal with having to keep dreaded Ascendant secrets from his teammates in the Avengers. Also, would love to see a sparring session between him and The Monkey King.

- I've mentioned in previous posts that I think that Shang would make an excellent mentor. This was hinted about a year ago in the Avengers Annual, when it was shown that he helps down and out youth. More recently, we've seen Shang serve as a guide to Wolverine (who, granted, isn't as "Best in the World" as he used to be). Still, I'd love to see Shang teach others. It would be cool to see him teach the kids over at Avengers Academy or the Jean Grey School. Half of them would probably like him because of his Zen demeanor. The other half would probably think he's full of it. Wealth of story potential right there!

- Finally, I'd REALLY love to see Shang go into full on battle mode. I mean, I want to see Shang, swords in each hand, yelling a battle cry, and mowing down a huge, nasty horde of Hydra, A.I.M., Hand, Ultrons, vampires, demons, and/or zombies. Honestly, I want to see him do this:

He'd probably think something deep and profound while in the midst of it, like "Violence. Serenity. One."

Oh yeah, that'd would be awesome.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

tumblr_m8f60eB3vV1rb9xcho1_500.jpg

Yeah, we've posted this pic numerous times in the past. Still, Shang SHATTERING a guy's leg with just one kick? Pardon my language, but that's f'ing sick !
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    tumblr_m8f60eB3vV1rb9xcho1_500.jpg

Yeah, we've posted this pic numerous times in the past. Still, Shang SHATTERING a guy's leg with just one kick? Pardon my language, but that's f'ing sick !
    That is by the ever so talented David Aja. I would love a mini written by Brubaker and Drawn by Aja. That would be vanglorious.
    Last edited by taozen; 08-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Felt I should just repost some of the pics from the old Shang Chi appreciation thread:

Pretty cool fight between Zaran and Shang on the streets of NYC's Chinatown from the old Marvel Knights series:

Shang teaching Spidey:

Shang taking out a knee:
    "I am a man of peace."

Mighty Member

I for one have been so disapointed in this series. The story is just meh and the art is worse than meh. I knew there was going to be a problem with this series for me when Crossbones was taken down so easily in the fist issue.

Shang Chi is a character that has a lot of potential. He was reared by his father to be this unstoppable deadly killer and he turns his back on that for a different purpose. What did Shang Chi go through in his training? His father had to rear him to be a socialpath in order to kill without feeling. Shang should have a dark side that he keeps under control. There really needs to be a Shang Chi year one or "First Season" type series so that it can be explored.

Back ot the series. It is a shame that Shang finally gets a series and its terrible. I want to support the character but I do not want to support bad storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I for one have been so disapointed in this series. The story is just meh and the art is worse than meh. I knew there was going to be a problem with this series for me when Crossbones was taken down so easily in the fist issue.

Shang Chi is a character that has a lot of potential. He was reared by his father to be this unstoppable deadly killer and he turns his back on that for a different purpose. What did Shang Chi go through in his training? His father had to rear him to be a socialpath in order to kill without feeling. Shang should have a dark side that he keeps under control. There really needs to be a Shang Chi year one or "First Season" type series so that it can be explored.

Back ot the series. It is a shame that Shang finally gets a series and its terrible. I want to support the character but I do not want to support bad storytelling.
    I hear ya. As probably the only poster here who was able to find some redeemable qualities in the miniseries, I'm still going to admit that it could have been so much better. While the references to the old Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series, David Carradine's Kung Fu, aspects of Chinese culture, and flickers of character development make it tolerable, the art just sours the whole story.

As for your idea, hell yeah, I think there should be further development on Shang's backstory. I too liked to see what his training was like and who he was before he became this calm and collected warrior. Part of me feels that he was some arrogant, brash punk who'd get into a fight with anyone who looked at him the wrong way. Moreover, those who trained Shang would be equally interesting. As has been mentioned previously, the masters who taught Shang were devoted to Fu Manchu. Still, I think there had to be at least one master who didn't buy into that and instilled some compassionate values into Shang. I think I mentioned this before, but I'd love it if this master was a woman. To me, that would throw the whole "wise old Kung Fu man" stereotype out the door.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-14-2014 at 06:29 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Holy crap, would love to have this on my mantle!

"I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Just some more random thoughts on Shang-Chi:

We've talked about Shang's father, Zheng Zu, in the past. I've said before that there's a wealth of story potential, considering the long-lived nature of Zheng Zu. If his backstory is every more fully developed, I think it would be cool to see his interaction with the other dominant players in Asia. For example, back in Secret Avengers, the Prince of Orphans said that he once met Shang's father. To me, that means that Zheng Zu had some knowledge of the Immortal Weapons and the Cities of Heaven. I think it would be cool if Zheng Zu actually tried to invade or takeover K'un L'un. Maybe Zheng Zu learned (or stole) techniques for immortality in K'un L'un.

Another pairing I'd like to see is Shang's father and the Hand. Indeed, historically, China and Japan have had dealings with one another for centuries. Each has tried to invade the other at one point in time. To me, it would be awesome to see Zheng Zu and the Hand jockeying for power in East Asia. I could easily see the Hand trying to establish a foothold in China, only to have Zheng Zu and his forces fight them off. Conversely, I could see Zheng Zu trying to extending his influence all over Asia, with the Hand blocking his progress in Japan. Hell, better yet, maybe the two groups worked together on a plot to conquer East Asia, only to be stopped by a former Iron Fist!

Damn, there are endless possibilities!
    "I am a man of peace."

I've said that I'd like to see Shang travel the world and train with some of the best martial artists on Earth. He could go to Wakanda to train with Black Panther or study assassin techniques with Elektra. Reading GotG over the past couple of days, however, I'd really dig a Shang Chi in space story. Yeah, yeah, it's a little far fetched and out of left field, but I think he could increase his knowledge of the martial arts by training with characters like Mantis or Gamora, who are the two best martial artists in the Marvel Universe. I like he and Mantis would most definitely hit it off well, while Gamora would probably try to cut his head off.

Kung Fu hilarity in space! Make it so!
    "I am a man of peace."

Did anybody like today's issue?