Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Did anybody like today's issue?
    Yeah, I got it. As I mentioned previously, I said that I would stick by the miniseries no matter what, and so I read the last issue. The issue seemed a little "WTF?" especially considering what was done to Leiko. her resurrection seemed equal parts Carried and "kinda out there." Though readers' initial fears that Leiko would be gone permanently have been put to rest, I am a little unsure what to make of the new Leiko.

Aside from that, I wasn't super impressed. Yeah, Sons of the Tiger and Daughters of the Dragon appear. So does Black Jack Tarr. Midnight Sun gets taken by the spirits of Triad bosses. Ummm, alright. All of that, plus the writing was decent, but the art, as usual brought it down.

HOWEVER, there were some crumbs of the story that I did like. As I previously mentioned, I always wanted Shang to use some tradition Chinese weapons, and hey, he got to hold a Chinese spear. His jump kick seemed pretty cool. However, what I liked the most was when Shang stood in between Midnight Sun and Leiko. It was apparent that Leiko had gotten some new supernatural, freaky deaky powers. I found it pretty boss that regular Shang stood up to her and tried to convince of the error of her ways.

SO yeah, a lot of people (and they wouldn't be wrong) would say that this miniseries was pretty bad. I, however, being the forever hopeful Shang-Chi fan, always found at least something throughout the series that made Shang cool and memorable.

Here's hoping one day that Shang still has some better stories ahead of him.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Yeah, I got it. As I mentioned previously, I said that I would stick by the miniseries no matter what, and so I read the last issue. The issue seemed a little "WTF?" especially considering what was done to Leiko. her resurrection seemed equal parts Carried and "kinda out there." Though readers' initial fears that Leiko would be gone permanently have been put to rest, I am a little unsure what to make of the new Leiko.

Aside from that, I wasn't super impressed. Yeah, Sons of the Tiger and Daughters of the Dragon appear. So does Black Jack Tarr. Midnight Sun gets taken by the spirits of Triad bosses. Ummm, alright. All of that, plus the writing was decent, but the art, as usual brought it down.

HOWEVER, there were some crumbs of the story that I did like. As I previously mentioned, I always wanted Shang to use some tradition Chinese weapons, and hey, he got to hold a Chinese spear. His jump kick seemed pretty cool. However, what I liked the most was when Shang stood in between Midnight Sun and Leiko. It was apparent that Leiko had gotten some new supernatural, freaky deaky powers. I found it pretty boss that regular Shang stood up to her and tried to convince of the error of her ways.

SO yeah, a lot of people (and they wouldn't be wrong) would say that this miniseries was pretty bad. I, however, being the forever hopeful Shang-Chi fan, always found at least something throughout the series that made Shang cool and memorable.

Here's hoping one day that Shang still has some better stories ahead of him.
    Agreed 100% friend Tien.

Shang Chi and Leiko Wu deserved a better outing than this mini series.

Like yourself, I too will await a truly stellar outing for the Master of Kung Fu in the not too distant future.

Ultimate Member

I actually had it in my hands today then put it back cuz I hit my budget and wanted to try a couple of new titles. I figured Deadly Hands will probably there next week but the smaller titles might not be. So I'll get it then. I don't mind spoilers for this title...what's this about a resurrection?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I actually had it in my hands today then put it back cuz I hit my budget and wanted to try a couple of new titles. I figured Deadly Hands will probably there next week but the smaller titles might not be. So I'll get it then. I don't mind spoilers for this title...what's this about a resurrection?
    Yeah, it turned out that Leiko, who was killed off in the first issue of the mini, actually was brought back to life. Here are some preview pages:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23084

Come to think of it, Leiko has her moments. It was pretty cool to see Leiko rip the blades off Razor Fist's arms.
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it turned out that Leiko, who was killed off in the first issue of the mini, actually was brought back to life. Here are some preview pages:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23084

Come to think of it, Leiko has her moments. It was pretty cool to see Leiko rip the blades off Razor Fist's arms.
    Hmm...interesting

Here's the thing though, it felt like it was setting Leiko up as a new foil for Shang, but what are the odds we're going to see that story any time soon?

Ultimate Member

Not to mention the fact that the whole "love interest goes crazy/evil/drunk with power" thing is such a tired cliché that it's eye-roll worthy.

Felt I should just repost some of the pics from the old Shang Chi appreciation thread:

Pretty cool fight between Zaran and Shang on the streets of NYC's Chinatown from the old Marvel Knights series:

Shang teaching Spidey:

Shang taking out a knee:
    I love that fight against Zaran so much!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

It's no secret i'm a huge Daredevil fanso I would love to see another character I like a lot added to the Defenders team up on Netfix.Do you guys like Shang's chances?

Ultimate Member

It's no secret i'm a huge Daredevil fanso I would love to see another character I like a lot added to the Defenders team up on Netfix.Do you guys like Shang's chances?
    I wouldn't mind seeing him. I guess it's up to TV licensing deal which Marvel characters can appear vs being on Agents of SHIELD?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing him. I guess it's up to TV licensing deal which Marvel characters can appear vs being on Agents of SHIELD?
    I wouldn't mind him being on AOS either.

I'd like to see him show up on the Netflix shows. Especially if one character eventually gets to "graduate" to a feature film, and there's room for a new show.

Amazing Member

...now if only Shang had an Ultraman helmet.
    Last edited by Geno; 09-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post

...now if only Shang had an Ultraman helmet.
    Did he win this time?

Did he win this time?
    Oh yeah, he won!
    "I am a man of peace."