Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Was Secret Avengers the last time Zheng Zu made an appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Was Secret Avengers the last time Zheng Zu made an appearance?
    I believe so, yes. He was also mentioned in the Shang-Chi limited series last year.

Hoping that Zheng Zu becomes a major player in the Marvel Universe, especially after the Shang-Chi Secret Wars tie-in. I like the notion that was brought up in the Secret Avengers series that he has constantly been changing his identity over the years. That neatly ties into the idea that he has been behind the scenes, manipulating events and pulling strings. Secretly hope Marvel reveals that Zheng was a key player in the Marvel Universe for centuries, and on par with Doom, Red Skull, Apocalypse, or Hydra. We just never knew it because he was just too damn clever .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I would like to see Zheng Zu become a bigger villain in the Marvel universe. I get bored seeing the same villains getting used over and over again.

Did anybody like the Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu max series?I just bought the tpb

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Did anybody like the Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu max series?I just bought the tpb
    I think it was good enough. At the time (around 2002 or so), there wasn't a lot of Shang-Chi anything on the stands, so the mini was passable. I think the best way to describe it would be high-end convenience pizza. It wasn't that bad. There were a couple of really good moments here and there (of which I'll get to in a minute), but it could have been better.

Still, I definitely dug Shang and Leiko's escape from the castle. Shang proved himself to be kinda BAMF there. I definitely dug the whole Shang/Clive Reston/Leiko love triangle, as well as the moments between Shang's father, Shang, and Shang's replacement. Still, I found the art to be a little dated and kinda silly. If you look at some of the characters, like Spitzer's men, they seem to be Cobra rejects from a 1980s episode of G.I. Joe. Also, the last fight between Shang and his replacement seemed a little blah.

But I do find myself going back to it from time to time. It's alright.
    "I am a man of peace."

Amazing Member

Frank Barbiere tweeted this image of Shang a couple of days ago. Seems like he'll be making another appearance in Avengers World soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Frank Barbiere tweeted this image of Shang a couple of days ago. Seems like he'll be making another appearance in Avengers World soon.
    Cool. Will be sure to be on the lookout for this!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I think it was good enough. At the time (around 2002 or so), there wasn't a lot of Shang-Chi anything on the stands, so the mini was passable. I think the best way to describe it would be high-end convenience pizza. It wasn't that bad. There were a couple of really good moments here and there (of which I'll get to in a minute), but it could have been better.

Still, I definitely dug Shang and Leiko's escape from the castle. Shang proved himself to be kinda BAMF there. I definitely dug the whole Shang/Clive Reston/Leiko love triangle, as well as the moments between Shang's father, Shang, and Shang's replacement. Still, I found the art to be a little dated and kinda silly. If you look at some of the characters, like Spitzer's men, they seem to be Cobra rejects from a 1980s episode of G.I. Joe. Also, the last fight between Shang and his replacement seemed a little blah.

But I do find myself going back to it from time to time. It's alright.
    Thanks,I thought the escape was done very well.Here's to hoping he finds a way in the Netflix universe.I'm hoping he shows up in Iron Fist as supporting character.Maybe he can get his own show afterwards.

Has anyone talked at length with Sung Kang about Shang Chi?

Amazing Member

Sung Kang's a great actor, but he's not exactly fit for the role of Shang-Chi. He tends to come off more "western" and, while witty, has never really pulled off the seriousness that someone like Shang-Chi needs. I maintain if a live action film or series is ever made based on the Master of Kung Fu, Daniel Wu is the perfect gentleman for the role - Proficiency in martial arts, superb fluency in English and Chinese, and having a suave aura about him.

Mighty Member

I know this is just an unlettered preview but I am just not as excited as I wanted to be about this series:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...-marvel-comics

I can't wait for this. Shang chi has so much potential. I started to read that recent mini series of his but for me it didn't quite hit the spot

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I know very little about Shang (one of the few Marvel 70s properties I never quite explored - strange since I like martial arts), but I'll be picking up that Battleworld mini because it's like instant Shaw Brothers flashback for me.

Looking forward to it
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    I know this is just an unlettered preview but I am just not as excited as I wanted to be about this series:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...-marvel-comics
    I hear ya, tao. When I first saw the art, I thought it was a little messy. After all of our discussions about seeing Deodato or Aja having another round with Shang, the art could be better.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, the story potential looks cool. I'm digging the fact that Shang might join up with Callisto and the Morlocks/New Mutants. That certainly piques my interest!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 04-21-2015 at 05:56 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all, thought I'd remind you that we won't have to wait until next month for a Shang-Chi story. Hell, there's one coming out tomorrow!

Rest of the preview is at the following link. Looks like it will deal with how Shang was able to take control of the Origin Site and produce the Army of Shang:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...el-comics-2015

Initially, I was a little wary of the preview, as it looked a little fortune cookieish and Eastern mystic stereotypes. However, thinking the matter (and because it's Shang), I thought the opening narration is pretty powerful. As a Chinese Buddhist, I know the significance of the lotus and the Zen-like question of "What lies behind your fist?" Plus, I always wanted to know more about Shang's thoughts, so this could be a good character building issue. Here's hoping!
    "I am a man of peace."