Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do You Think J.K. Rowling could be convinced to write a Superman book?

Since Superman is vulnerable to magic I think this would be a good fit.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

If JK Rowling was ever going to write comics, I think she'd stick to her own world.

And no shade to Superman, but given her tastes and writing preferences I think she'd choose Marvel.

I highly doubt it.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

No. It's very unlikely she has any nostalgia or affection for superheroes, which is usually the main thing that gets seriously big named writers involved. I don't even think she's ever cited having read any comics before.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    And no shade to Superman, but given her tastes and writing preferences I think she'd choose Marvel.
    This should be interesting. Why?

Superman at his core is pretty similar politically to a lot of her views.

would I want to read a JK Rowling Superman book should be the question...
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    This should be interesting. Why?

Superman at his core is pretty similar politically to a lot of her views.
    Just that she is a character writer and Superman is more of an ideal than a character, plus she really prefers writing ensembles (with the exception of her crime novels) and Superman is kinda solo for the most part.

I could see her maybe writing Justice League or X-Men or Avengers or something but not a isolated standalone character like superman.

I think with a big enough truckload of money, anyone could be convinced to do anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think with a big enough truckload of money, anyone could be convinced to do anything.
    Providing they didn't already have a crap ton of money, which JK Rowling does. Money won't sway her.

Providing they didn't already have a crap ton of money, which JK Rowling does. Money won't sway her.
    Yeah, I think she is back up to billionaire (USD$) status after donating a big chunk of her wealth to charity.

If bribery is your tactic, it's going to have to be a big truckload of cash.

BANNED

Lois Lane is a character that I can see JK being interested. I can also see her doing a story involving heavily the trio lois, Superman and Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I think she is back up to billionaire (USD$) status after donating a big chunk of her wealth to charity.

If bribery is your tactic, it's going to have to be a big truckload of cash.
    I think it is easier convince her about challenges than money. she already has enough and is not her main motivation
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-13-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Just that she is a character writer and Superman is more of an ideal than a character, plus she really prefers writing ensembles (with the exception of her crime novels) and Superman is kinda solo for the most part.

I could see her maybe writing Justice League or X-Men or Avengers or something but not a isolated standalone character like superman.
    This. I don't think she and Supes would be a good fit, something like X-men would be more suited for the type of story she wrote in Harry Potter. I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Simmons write a Superman story though.
    Last edited by The World; 01-13-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Incredible Member

Still bummed about Orson Scott Card not getting the chance to publish a story for Adventures of Superman because of some silly SJWs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Still bummed about Orson Scott Card not getting the chance to publish a story for Adventures of Superman because of some silly SJWs.
    Yeah, it wasn't just a few SJWs, it was a ton of people beyond a couple loudmouths on Tumblr or Twitter. OSC is a guy who is actively spending the money he makes on making life harder for gay people, a man who actually wakes up in the morning to try and make the world a little worse. Not many people really want to be supporting that, if Ender's Game bombing at the box office didn't clue you in.

His comics also tend to be kinda lame, so you're not missing much, unless you were that big a fan of such classic comics as his Ultimate Iron Man or Dragon Age.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 01-13-2015 at 04:42 PM.

BANNED

Are you somehow under the impression Superman doesn't have a supporting cast?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I doubt DC would ever spend that kind of money on anyway to write any sort of comic book, ever. Really comic book writer has never been the most well paying, there may be a few people who can make a comfortable living, but its not really a big money making career. Also comic books are becoming the least important part of the comic book industry, compared to other media adaptions, DC is not going to shell out a ton of cash to get a super famous writer on something that is very niche, I.E comic books.