Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default The Forgotten & The Forsaken: Awesome characters sadly unremembered or demoted

This thread is both to inform about and honour interesting comic book characters and superheroes that have sadly fallen to the ravages of time, narrow-minded editorial or because they didn't sell, even if they were sound in writing/depiction.

The idea came from this article about Agent Carter

Given that this is a new thread, I will make the first step

Louise Grant
    also known as
    Blonde Phantom

An initial thought to get into the right mindset: It is actually fairly difficult to make a female character look both bad@ss AND gorgeous and yet still keep the balance between the two, particularly given the means (both technical and financial) of the time and the commercial niche (it was cheap pulp fiction with pictures, not any recognized form of higher art at the time)

Now feast your eyes upon this

BlondePhantomGOLDENAGE-b8cb7.jpg

I kid you not, had I been a 8-14 year old boy in that era, I would have devoured this comic, looking at Louise Grant like a cool big sister I sadly don't have. (To give a frame of reference, I was born in 1986 and I an elder and a younger brother, no sisters)

PS: most of the characters appearing here will likely by ladies given the inspiration for the thread, however men are welcome too I also started the thread in Marvel Comics, because the inspiration for it and the first depicted character are both from Marvel. Don't be afraid to write about DC characters. If the mods don't agree, we can still open a sister thread over in the DC corner.
    PPS: I deliberately made only links and only spoke the barest of the character to encourage readers to add with comments, thoughts and discussion. So post away
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Did anybody ever tell you that your writing style really matches your location?

How about 1944's Miss America from Timely (Marvel) Comics:

825613.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Am...Marvel_Comics)
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Since I happen to have a great deal of Generation X-related bias, I'm going to have to point out three characters from that twenty-year-old comic book. Sorry if twenty years is not long enough to make a proper assessment, lol...

Penance a.k.a. Hollow. Talk about squandered potential. Most writers just didn't know what to do with her or just don't care to deal with the headache.

Emplate. He sucks out the bone marrow of young mutants to survive, turning them into his mind-controlled slaves in the process. How does he NOT make more appearances in youth X-Men titles...?

Synch. Everett Thomas, all around nice guy with a certain kind of wisdom, natural born leader and a flexible power with a cool rainbow aura. Mutants who can use the powers of other mutants tend to be headaches for writers, so of course they had to kill him off when they realized they weren't going to use him anything else beyond Generation X. Sigh.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    How about 1944's Miss America from Timely (Marvel) Comics:

825613.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Am...Marvel_Comics)
    Very nice, keep them coming and feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Also, the characters needn't all be from the earliest era of comics. Those from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and even 00's are good, too.

Edit: Ninja'ed: Very nice, go into details and don't be afraid to fanboy/girl out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Very nice, keep them coming and feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Also, the characters needn't all be from the earliest era of comics. Those from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and even 00's are good, too.

Edit: Ninja'ed: Very nice, go into details and don't be afraid to fanboy/girl out a bit.
    Hehe, cool.

I wish I knew more characters of the older forgotten eras, but I only started reading comics in the '90s and never really bothered to go back... ^_^;;
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

Cardiac; Monica Rambeau; Luke Cage circa 1986 - 1992 and 1994 - 2002; Blade circa 1979 - 1992;

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Hehe, cool.

I wish I knew more characters of the older forgotten eras, but I only started reading comics in the '90s and never really bothered to go back... ^_^;;
    Same here, same here. The thread hopefully becomes self-sustaining, my interest is simply in getting readers a chance to talk and share about their hobby
    Last edited by Platinius; 01-13-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you from the magical year of 1940, the one, the only, the original Vision! An alien law enforcement officer named Arakus, hailing from another dimension entirely, the Smoke World. He only came to earth to aid us due to pleas sent by radio to the stars by our very own scientists. He could generate illusory images, fly, create ice and extreme cold, and teleport wherever there is smoke. That'll teach villains to not puff on a cigarette... Had he endured in publication he would have been more the Martian Manhunter than the Martian Manhunter is today.

1942292-aarkus_the_vision_mystic_comics_70th_anniversary_special_1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_(Timely_Comics)
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you from the magical year of 1940, the one, the only, the original Vision! An alien law enforcement officer named Arakus, hailing from another dimension entirely, the Smoke World. He only came to earth to aid us due to pleas sent by radio to the stars by our very own scientists. He could generate illusory images, fly, create ice and extreme cold, and teleport wherever there is smoke. That'll teach villains to not puff on a cigarette... Had he endured in publication he would have been more the Martian Manhunter than the Martian Manhunter is today.

I don't even...

Wow, lol.

So... the current Vision took his visual cues from this guy...? Or is it just a case of them liking a certain look / name and deciding to reuse it? XD
    Prεtty Pεnny

BANNED

Reusing is common.

Now we visit upon a partner of the Original Human Torch (Jim Hammond) who befriended the android, worked with him, and shared the first kiss. A judo and karate master with many friends in the scientific and military community. She wields a ray gun that can shoot a lasso, a heat beam, or serve as a flashlight... 1948's Sun Girl.

228124-19599-117536-1-sun-girl.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Girl_(Marvel_Comics)

Now we visit upon a partner of the Original Human Torch (Jim Hammond) who befriended the android, worked with him, and shared the first kiss. A judo and karate master with many friends in the scientific and military community. She wields a ray gun that can shoot a lasso, a heat beam, or serve as a flashlight... 1948's Sun Girl.

D'aww, poor 1940s Sun Girl. Sound like there's an opportunity to introduce her on Agent Carter, though, given her martial arts, scientific, and military aspects.

At least the alias got reused:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Selah_Burke_(Earth-616)
    Prεtty Pεnny

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post

D'aww, poor 1940s Sun Girl. Sound like there's an opportunity to introduce her on Agent Carter, though, given her martial arts, scientific, and military aspects.

At least the alias got reused:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Selah_Burke_(Earth-616)
    I would totally love to see her and Jim Hammond in a few episodes of Agent Carter.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Betty Dean!

I thought of her while watching Agent Carter, and am keeping my fingers crossed that she'll appear in the show.

She's a police woman (in the 30s!) who attempts to capture Namor by playing the damsel in distress.

She went on to playing an important role in convincing Namor to fight the Nazis, as well as was the person responsible for stopping Namor and Torch from fighting. During the 50s, she and Namor had many adventures together fighting aliens, giant robots and monsters -- and commies! In the Silver Age, she agreed to be the guardian of Namorita, who took Betty's married named as her own.

She was a great female character of the Golden Age, though she had no super powers.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Dude! He showed up recently in the Invaders book. Seemed pretty cool.