Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What's the deal with Bruno from DKR?

What is Bruno from DKR supposed to represent?

In a college-level English literature sort of a way?

I doubt there was no further depth than just "here is a topless neo-nazi" so what is the deal? Does she represent something, or someone, or a way of thinking? Is she a counterpoint to something or a hidden warning? Is she a message about '80s cop shows? Is she a heavy handed political satire of somone famous at the time?

Context = [I'm pretty bad at reading into things, and understanding metaphors and symbolism and semiotics and all that jazz. I'm a pretty face-value kind of guy and it takes me a lot of extra reading to understand things like Final Crisis completely. Could someone just come out and tell me, or speculate... what is Bruno supposed to mean?]

A badly designed female neo nazi supervillain is pretty much all you are going to get especially since Miller isn't using her much

Other being one of the worst 'villains' ever created I doubt she has much depth, that is, other than her cup size.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Bridget Neilson

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

She was also in All Star Batman and Robin as Joker's henchwoman

Invincible Member

I think "Here's a topless neo-nazi" was pretty much all Miller was going for. Maybe you could look at her as an example of the "punk rockers are all violent street criminals" trope you saw alot of in the 80's, but Miller isn't spoofing the trend, he's participating in it.

She's really just another example of how the society in general and the younger generation specifically was going to hell in a hangbag. I guess maybe you could look at her in the context of that line earlier about Joe Chill...something about "He was sick and afraid when he pulled the trigger, but these are his children, a purer breed..." Suggesting that the older criminals were petty and greedy men, but the new generation was inherently evil and pathological.
    Not only is the woman a bank robbing nazi, she's got her ta ta's out to boot!

Dieter.jpg

This is the only other time I remember seeing her.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Back in the 80s, I had trouble figuring out if Bruno was a woman or a man with a rack. (Look, I was 8 when TDKR came out.)

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Bridget Neilson
    Lol, yep. That's all I could think about.

Frank Miller just wanted to draw swastika pasties.

Incredible Member

So its not some hidden critique on gender inequalities of silver age comics? or a secret insult to an actress on the 60s Batman tv show? or a callback to the 40s era comic books where people might fight nazis for real? or a "hey comics aren't for kids anymore" point?

I always assumed it was some important point-making metaphore that I wasn't smart enough to read... not that it was litterally just a topless nazi terminator woman.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think "Here's a topless neo-nazi" was pretty much all Miller was going for.
    I think Miller likes topless neo-nazi women. He put one in Ronin as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Back in the 80s, I had trouble figuring out if Bruno was a woman or a man with a rack. (Look, I was 8 when TDKR came out.)
    In TDKR I assumed she was a woman. In ASBAR I vaguely remember a line that suggested she was a transexual - which makes going by the name "Bruno" a bit odd.

Extraordinary Member

Carrie Kelley also thought Bruno was a guy.

Amazing Member

I wondered myself, but I thought maybe he was just putting her in there as filler.

Maybe It`s some kind of Miller`s way of trying to criticize how ridiculous some villains in comics books are while also criticizing the absurd 80`s fashion and culture in general. Don`t know seems like something Miller would do.

Or....he just put it there because it would be edgy?

Heck if I know, never lived in the 80`s