Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Should WB/DC make a JSA (or Multiverse) film in response to Marvel's success?

I've been thinking recently that prior to the Crisis, DC was known for it's infinite Multiverse and how many heroes would travel to different Universes to team-up with the heroes of that Earth (i.e. JLA teams up with JSA, etc.). I acknowledge that Marvel also has a Multiverse, but DC was the superhero comic publisher to really popularize the idea of an infinite number of parallel earths (with Michael Moorcock creating the name Multiverse & being one of the first authors to have a series based in an infinite number of universes). Not only that but also DC's history is/was really engraved with the idea of multiple earths & there being Earths with their own set of heroes (the JSA on Earth 2, Captain Marvel on Earth S, etc.). That is something that Marvel can't claim since most of the stories (historically) are set on the same Earth nor does Marvel have legendary Golden Age heroes like the JSA.

I wasn't impressed by WB's casting (& creation) of a Flash film since the tv show is performing really well & is fairly popular, however thinking about DC's Multiverse & WB claiming that there will be no cross-over between the films & tv shows has compelled me to think that a good way for WB to counter-act Marvel's popularity would be to say that all the films, tv shows, games, comics, etc. all exist in the DC Multiverse but within their own Earth. If WB/DC were to make a JSA movie, they could say that the characters exist in the DC Multiverse that's occupied by the characters in the BVS film & in the other upcoming DC films. Even the new Shazam film could exist in it's own Earth within the Multiverse.

I believe if WB were smart, this is a route they could take. They could potentially become popular & gain some respect in regards to their characters & Multiverse. I believe if they were to take this direction, they would prove to be more ambitious & I believe from a fan standpoint, it would be really interesting.

Alternate universe stories are quite popular in live action as seen in the old Lois and Clark tv show and the old Smallville tv show. We will probably see a JL movie with the alternate universe Crime Syndicate. I don't know if the movie Darkseid will be from space or from another dimension. Also possible to do a JL movie with the anti monitor from a alternate universe : anti matter universe.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-13-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Whether it be a crossover with the Justice League, or not, I would love to see a Justice Society animated movie.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

It could definitely ... I'd like to see it!

I suspect DC and WB would put JSA on the table after their first batch of films, start building a larger/broader fanbase, etc

The JSA shouldn't be the stars but you could make a multiverse movie like crisis on two earths with the jsa
    although it will be hard to find a batman or superman in the group

You do know that they have said it a few times, right?

Sure, they didn't make a big announcement of it...but, WB/DC hasn't done with any of their CBM related news (Except for the comic con announcements).

Here's what Johns said:

Well, Arrow and Flash are the same universe, and we get a lot of great story out of that — especially when we have episodes that cross them over, but that’s also where our superhero universe lives. We look at it as the multiverse. We have our TV universe and our film universe, but they all co-exist. For us, creatively, it’s about allowing everyone to make the best possible product, to tell the best story, to do the best world.
    Last edited by Triple J; 01-13-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

a multiverse movie involving a big cast like the JSA would probably work best as a mini-series on cable. The concept of the multiverse is simple. It's just quantum effects causing the Universe to constantly slip. This guy demonstrated it in this video by causing an object he created to vibrate and not vibrate at the same time in a dark room with temps a little below absolute zero. I'm sure this is something the Flash can demonstrate in his movie or even the TV series since it has been hinted that there will be a 'Crisis' coming up.

The end of Marvel is nigh brothers and sisters! Glory to fatherland!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

They didn't properly celebrate Jay Garrick's 75th anniversary, so I doubt they'd do anything with the original JSA, or the modern Earth 2 for that matter.
    Vote Goat 2020
    "Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." --Jeffrey W Kramer

Quote Originally Posted by a. non View Post
    They didn't properly celebrate Jay Garrick's 75th anniversary, so I doubt they'd do anything with the original JSA, or the modern Earth 2 for that matter.
    He's not the important Flash though
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Jsa has already been replaced by JL since the beginning of the silver age.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The end of Marvel is nigh brothers and sisters! Glory to fatherland!
    Marvel's end would be a precursor to DC's end. We should hope both brands thrive and keep each other honest because a lack of competition results in inferior products.

BANNED

I don't think the general public, who this would have to appeal to, can handle much in the way of a multiverse other than "this is the universe where the characters are evil."

The average movie-goer doesn't really understand why Batman wasn't in the Avengers.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'd love a Multiverse inspired JSA movie but I can't see it having enough box-office potential to interest WB/DC regrettably.

Occasionally I have to try and explain the concept of a Multiverse to non comic-book readers. Many of them just don't get it. A simple but genius idea to people like us, absolute gobbledygook to them.

'What, you mean there's more than one Superman?'

"In response to Marvel's success" is a little too late at this point. Children are conceived and born faster than a decent movie would be made.