Page 373 of 402 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 6026
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    The slow trickle of info about the potential Black Widow movie project is gradually getting me excited, which is probably a bad idea since it hasn't been acknowledged yet, and it could get dropped like the Lionsgate movie or Inhumans.

And, just like when people were suggesting a movie all those other times (read: after every other movie she was in), naysayers are crawling out of the woodwork with a lot of the same arguments. I think the worst one that I keep seeing in the comments sections is that Scarlett Johansson is "too old" now. Aside from being a hilarious example of public misogyny that we could possibly think of a 33-year-old actress as "too old" (never mind all of the older actors in the MCU who are in the middle of continuing franchises), it's not even a downside to have an aged Natasha in a movie. Her age was central to the plot of Itsy-Bitsy Spider, and formed part of the contrast with Yelena. I think Devin Grayson even said that she wished J.G. Jones had drawn Natasha to look older.

Yeah, the books themselves don't fit into the 616 at all, and the tie-in comics seem just to function as extensions of the books. It's not out of the question at all to see elements of them adapted into Natasha's stories, but the obstacle is to find a writer that would have an angle where Ava would fit. The addition of Red Widow as a POV character makes sense if you're trying to write a Young Adult novel about Natasha, who isn't the type of character with a lot of typical YA storylines. But the comics are a different story. It might be more likely that a teen team like the Champions would introduce her, since she fits into that space more easily.
    Why would the comics be a whole other story in finding a place for Ava to fit in though?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Why would the comics be a whole other story in finding a place for Ava to fit in though?
    I don't think it's really out of the question at all, since the spirit of the Red Widow story is pulled from a lot of Natasha's existing stuff: her interactions with people like Rikki Barnes and Sally Anne Carter and Laura Kinney, and her sense of duty when it comes to saving children.

But like I said, Red Widow was fashioned to be a YA entry-point into Natasha's world. The comics don't really need to bother with creating a YA entry-point; they can just go straight into James Bond spy-fi or the gritty black-ops stuff or even street-level superhero work without having to worry about finding the angle that makes it work in the Young Adult genre. Moreover, I don't think a teen legacy character fits in with the tone of story that a lot of writers seem to want to write for Natasha. Sally Anne Carter from Homecoming is probably the closest antecedent to the Ava Orlova thing (a young woman who was saved by Natasha who looks up to her and kind of follows her around), and I think that making Sally into some kind of legacy superhero taking after Natasha is probably the last thing that Richard K. Morgan ever had on his mind.

But I'm not opposed to a story direction that would allow for it. I just think it's inherently a little tricky.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 06-24-2018 at 06:55 PM.

A less auspicious Natasha appearance?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I don't think it's really out of the question at all, since I the spirit of the Red Widow story is pulled from a lot of Natasha's existing stuff: her interactions with people like Rikki Barnes and Sally Anne Carter and Laura Kinney, and her sense of duty when it comes to saving children.

But like I said, Red Widow was fashioned to be a YA entry-point into Natasha's world. The comics don't really need to bother with creating a YA entry-point; they can just go straight into James Bond spy-fi or the gritty black-ops stuff or even street-level superhero work without having to worry about finding the angle that makes it work in the Young Adult genre. Moreover, I don't think a teen legacy character fits in with the tone of story that a lot of writers seem to want to write for Natasha. Sally Anne Carter from Homecoming is probably the closest antecedent to the Ava Orlova thing (a young woman who was saved by Natasha who looks up to her and kind of follows her around), and I think that making Sally into some kind of legacy superhero taking after Natasha is probably the last thing that Richard K. Morgan ever had on his mind.

But I'm not opposed to a story direction that would allow for it. I just think it's inherently a little tricky.
    I think it's possible to fit Ava in with the typical spy stuff Natasha is known for just as Laura Kinney can appear in the gritty stuff and in fact is more suited for that sort of thing. You just need to be very smart about it. One could see it like Natasha saving Ava and then bringing her to S.H.I.E.L.D where they train her to be a child soldier.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

I need to redo some illustrations from digital reissues of Tales of Suspense for the writeups.org Black Widow character profiles, but in the meantime here's a bit of decoration for the thread from this era.

Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Gorgeous Black Widow by Steve Epting.

epting BW.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    I need to redo some illustrations from digital reissues of Tales of Suspense for the writeups.org Black Widow character profiles, but in the meantime here's a bit of decoration for the thread from this era.

I think that this is one of the ugliest image of Black Widow ever created, and every image created of her ever after has been sexier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post

It's always fun to see oldschool stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

epting BW.jpg
    That truelly is gorgeous.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think that this is one of the ugliest image of Black Widow ever created, and every image created of her ever after has been sexier.
    Aw, I love the classic art! Though didn't she have black hair at this time?

Classic Clintasha melodrama.jpg

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    Aw, I love the classic art! Though didn't she have black hair at this time?

Classic Clintasha melodrama.jpg
    Since she is a spy I account that black hair as a wig perhaps.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

epting BW.jpg
    Fantastic, thanks
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Since she is a spy I account that black hair as a wig perhaps.
    In the letters for Amazing Adventures, editorial explained it as Natasha dying her hair black:

As for that panel from Tales of Suspense #52, though, as best as I can tell, she really did have reddish hair in the interiors of that issue (even though it was black on the cover). I think there was a slight bit of color confusion in her first couple of appearances that led to some back-and-forth. Here's what I've been able to piece together:
    Tales of Suspense #52 cover: Black
    Tales of Suspense #52 interior: Red
    Tales of Suspense #53 cover: Red
    Tales of Suspense #53 interior: Black
    Tales of Suspense #57-Avengers #76: Black
    Amazing Spider-Man #86-now: Red

In the letters for Amazing Adventures, editorial explained it as Natasha dying her hair black:

As for that panel from Tales of Suspense #52, though, as best as I can tell, she really did have reddish hair in the interiors of that issue (even though it was black on the cover). I think there was a slight bit of color confusion in her first couple of appearances that led to some back-and-forth. Here's what I've been able to piece together:
    Tales of Suspense #52 cover: Black
    Tales of Suspense #52 interior: Red
    Tales of Suspense #53 cover: Red
    Tales of Suspense #53 interior: Black
    Tales of Suspense #57-Avengers #76: Black
    Amazing Spider-Man #86-now: Red
    You're right! I just remembered her hair being black in the classic run, but I dug out my trusty Marvel Masterworks Invincible Iron Man vol. 2 and despite the cover her hair is red in that first issue, I just completely forgot since it's black in all the rest. I did remember reading that the black hair was dye, though, which absolutely makes sense. It's cool to read the old letters, though. Thanks!

Some of my favorite hair styles.

short hair.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Does anybody know if Black Widow still has her cat? I loved her whole thing with Liho in the 2014 run.
    Also love Phil’s Noto in general.
    Last edited by Gambit, King of Thieves; 06-26-2018 at 09:22 AM.