Page 239 of 402 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 6026

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I bought Spiderwoman 17 because Natasha was in it. Does she appear in other issues in this series?

Spider Woman vol 5 #10 (few pages)

Spider Woman vol 6 #1 (one panel)
    Last edited by Winterboy; 03-30-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    This reminds me - what do Nat fans think about the Liu/Swiezcynski series? I thought The Name of the Rose was pretty good, if a bit disjointed, and I loved Daniel Acuna's art, but the last three issues were terrible.
    I love "The Name of the Rose", definitely my favorite Black Widow story. Daniel Acuña would be my top Widow artist if Phil Noto hadn't come along. Marjorie Liu's tone was pitch perfect and it has probably my favorite Nat/Bucky moments. Her encounters with Elektra and Lady Bullseye were pretty cool. And I really liked the Black Rose character.

I agree the story felt a bit disjointed, though. The baby stuff came out of nowhere and I wasn't impressed by the villain reveal.

The Swiezcynski issues, on the other hand, were just the kind of generic story that infuriates me. What a waste of those last three issues...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I love "The Name of the Rose", definitely my favorite Black Widow story. Daniel Acuña would be my top Widow artist if Phil Noto hadn't come along. Marjorie Liu's tone was pitch perfect and it has probably my favorite Nat/Bucky moments. Her encounters with Elektra and Lady Bullseye were pretty cool. And I really liked the Black Rose character.

I agree the story felt a bit disjointed, though. The baby stuff came out of nowhere and I wasn't impressed by the villain reveal.

The Swiezcynski issues, on the other hand, were just the kind of generic story that infuriates me. What a waste of those last three issues...
    Nat, though she's been sadly underserved in writing, has had some amazing artists - Acuna, Noto, and Samnee are all phenomenal talents. The relationships Nat and the rest of the cast have were really solid, agreed. The baby stuff was indeed what I was thinking about for the disjointedness - like...where did that come from? I mean, it's not a terrible idea, but the way it just plopped into the plot was super strange.

Yeah, the generic spyness (not to mention annoying narrator idiot) was not impressive. I still don't know why they didn't just call it a miniseries and cap it off at 5.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm currently re-reading Ales Kot's Secret Avengers and I still love the dynamic between Jess and Nat. And I appreciate the book a lot more the second read through. It's a lot of fun and a great story.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I'm currently re-reading Ales Kot's Secret Avengers and I still love the dynamic between Jess and Nat. And I appreciate the book a lot more the second read through. It's a lot of fun and a great story.
    The character interactions of that book were fun, but I was really put off by the memory erasure stuff.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Kot's run on secret avengers was my favourite thing ever.Three of my absolute favourite characters, the simplistic art and the hilarious dialogues fit just so well together.
    The character interactions of that book were fun, but I was really put off by the memory erasure stuff.
    The memory wipe thing came before Kot took over the reigns and before Jess joined I think.
    It was basically another comic entirely then.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    The memory wipe thing came before Kot took over the reigns and before Jess joined I think.
    Hmm. I think you're right - looking at it, Reverie (which is what I really hated) seems to have been by Nick Spencer. On the other hand, I do remember trying the next run of Secret Avengers, and was offput by how zany it was. My favorite Secret Avengers run was probably Warren Ellis's six standalones in the first volume (which was a bit too exposition heavy, but still more the tone I expected).

Hmm. I think you're right - looking at it, Reverie (which is what I really hated) seems to have been by Nick Spencer. On the other hand, I do remember trying the next run of Secret Avengers, and was offput by how zany it was. My favorite Secret Avengers run was probably Warren Ellis's six standalones in the first volume (which was a bit too exposition heavy, but still more the tone I expected).
    Hahaha fair enough. With Secret Avengers you expect some brooding spystuff after all instead of a comedy.

You are talking about the one with Cap, Valkyrie, Moon Knight and drawn by Deodato right? It was alright but i tend to don't read anything drawn by that guy more than once. Don't really remember what happened plotwise either.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Hahaha fair enough. With Secret Avengers you expect some brooding spystuff after all instead of a comedy.

You are talking about the one with Cap, Valkyrie, Moon Knight and drawn by Deodato right? It was alright but i tend to don't read anything drawn by that guy more than once. Don't really remember what happened plotwise either.
    Yeah, pretty much that is the tone I'm looking for.

Well, the Ellis run was six one-shot issues in a row, with a different artist each time. Deodato might have been one of them, but the first one was drawn by McKelvie. The plots are fairly typical Ellis - superscience with lots of exposition. But Nat's solo issue (#20) was really well done - having a mini timetravelling device, and really using that idea.

Well, the Ellis run was six one-shot issues in a row, with a different artist each time.
    McKelvie, Walker, Lark, Aja, Maleev and Immonen.

What a great list of artists.

...and Maleev really know how to draw Natasha...
    Last edited by Winterboy; 03-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Indeed! Maleev, I believe, is the one on Nat's solo issue.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

This reminds me - what do Nat fans think about the Liu/Swiezcynski series? I thought The Name of the Rose was pretty good, if a bit disjointed, and I loved Daniel Acuna's art, but the last three issues were terrible.
    Liu/Acuña's five-issue run is still my favorite. I'm a big fan of the sappy lyricism of Natasha's narration, the real attempt at a twist-filled spy plot, and the effort to reference parts of her past that hadn't been explored by other authors. No one else since has told a story that had to with either her time in World War II or her tenure in the Avengers in the 90s.

It's smart, stylish, and more than a little emotional, which is what I like in a Black Widow story.

I think the Swierczynski stories had the potential to be good, but the fact that the run was cut short and then forced into the Widowmaker crossover messed up the pacing and confused whatever was supposed to be going on in the story. I really liked the disguise gag at the beginning of his run, for example.

The second volume, aka the memory wipe book, was mostly written by Nick Spencer, but Ales Kot came on as co-author for the last five issues to help wrap things up and set up his own book, which I suspect is where the confusion is coming from. This also means that Kot is partially responsible for Yelena's awkward death scene

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Spider Woman vol 5 #10 (few pages)

Ouch! (10 chtrs)

Marvel must be getting some of these artists at a discount.

After re-read the Velvet series I can' t stop thinking about how cool Brubaker chronicling Natasha's untold tales (missions, honey traps...) could be.