Page 104 of 402 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 6026
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    If we're only getting short runs, though, can Warren Ellis get Black Widow next?
    I'm still a little upset that they let Warren Ellis flesh out his ideas about Moon Knight from Secret Avengers, but they still haven't let him do the same for Black Widow. I'm convinced he still has more to say about her. He's just one of those writers that seems like he gets Natasha.

I wonder if Liu would be interested in doing a Black Widow graphic novel? If the YA novel getting a sequel is any indication, Natasha has an audience in bookstores, and the OGN seems like a good format to reach outside of the direct market. I know Liu has limited time for comics.
    That sounds like an interesting idea. Marvel doesn't seem to be doing OGNs of individual characters that much lately, but they do seem to have an eye on reviving their OGN line. It's a lot easier to sell audiences on a self-contained story vs. buying volume 3 of a character's third ongoing series. I hope Monstress does well enough that Liu has time for more comics projects. She gave a very coy answer when CBR asked her if she had any more work at Marvel she was doing, so hopefully she returns to Natasha someday soon. (Or, actually, Liu should return to Laura Kinney considering every writer at Marvel seems to have forgotten what kind of personality she has.)

Also, everyone remember to pre-order and pick up Monstress when it comes out!
    Last edited by responsarbre; 10-15-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That's been reported? That a follow up is already slated?
    I'd wager that's based on pre-sale numbers, if it's so, rather than an actual indication of peoples reactions to having read the book.
    It indicates for sure that based on name recognition alone Natasha is a viable and marketable character.
    Yes, they announced a sequel novel, Black Widow Two, at NYCC last weekend. I agree that it's based on pre-orders, but I think that's still a deal.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Awesome BW by Dave Johnson.
    bw 2.jpg
    bw.jpg

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    . He's just one of those writers that seems like he gets Natasha.
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

rod reis bw.jpg
    Rod Reis

mitch breitweiser bw.jpg
    Mitch Breitweiser

perez bw.jpg
    Ramon Perez

However long ago that Natasha's in-universe longevity was established, how often have there been retro Cold-War era adventures (50s - 80s) depicted?

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    However long ago that Natasha's in-universe longevity was established, how often have there been retro Cold-War era adventures (50s - 80s) depicted?
    I guess the longevity thing was first suggested in 1990, but wasn't really affirmed until the mid-2000s, and since then, the only real stories featuring Natasha spying in the past were Captain America and Bucky #624, and the Last Days story from Edmondson's run (which didn't really have much of a 50s-80s feel to it, anyways).

I would kill for a hyper-stylized, mod spy adventure story set in the 60s.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 10-16-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Yeah, Natasha's flashbacks, especially since that retcon, have been mostly about her origin (i.e. brainwashing/trauma in the Red Room) and not cool spying adventures. I think she's a more interesting character when the focus is on things she's done and not things done to her, and I think IC that's what Natasha cares the most about as well. (Not every flashback has to be as bleak as that Last Days one, though.)

Secret Avengers #20 is a sort of retro Black Widow story, but does anyone remember/know about Anya Derevkova? She only appeared in a Howling Commandos one-shot in 2009, but she was implied to be a WW2 era Black Widow. I'm not sure how this shakes out with actual Black Widow continuity, and the comic was released to build hype for Captain America: White (which, lol) and Anya herself, because she's in a Nick Fury story and not the protagonist, falls into a lot more of the Bond Girl stereotypes Natasha & Yelena subvert. But— it had John Paul Leon on art, which is always a good thing. I wonder if they might bring the character back, in conjunction with Dottie Underwood, maybe, who seems to be shaping up as Peggy Carter's nemesis. It could be she's too obscure, though.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Assemble!
    by pencilHeadno7

that bit on the gag reel was hilarious
    I surrender to the Contest

Yeah, Natasha's flashbacks, especially since that retcon, have been mostly about her origin (i.e. brainwashing/trauma in the Red Room) and not cool spying adventures. I think she's a more interesting character when the focus is on things she's done and not things done to her, and I think IC that's what Natasha cares the most about as well. (Not every flashback has to be as bleak as that Last Days one, though.)
    I really would like to see a classic series by Timm or Cooke.

Secret Avengers #20 is a sort of retro Black Widow story, but does anyone remember/know about Anya Derevkova? She only appeared in a Howling Commandos one-shot in 2009, but she was implied to be a WW2 era Black Widow. I'm not sure how this shakes out with actual Black Widow continuity, and the comic was released to build hype for Captain America: White (which, lol) and Anya herself, because.she's in a Nick Fury story and not the protagonist, falls into a lot more of the Bond Girl stereotypes Natasha & Yelena subvert. But— it had John Paul Leon on art, which is always a good thing. I wonder if they might bring the character back, in conjunction with Dottie Underwood, maybe, who seems to be shaping up as Peggy Carter's nemesis. It could be she's too obscure, though.
    I have that one shot. You're Encyclopedia Hrist.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Assemble!
    by pencilHeadno7
    Totally Scajo. Loved.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 10-20-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Another gem from Hrist's treasure.
    hrist website.jpg

BW by Walsh...
    walsh BW.jpg

For new readers...
    BLACK WIDOW: THE ITSY-BITSY SPIDER TPB
    Written by DEVIN GRAYSON & GREG RUCKA
    Penciled by J.G. JONES & SCOTT HAMPTON
    Cover by J.G. JONES
    Natasha Romanov has always led a life of adventure. First, she was a Soviet spy, fighting on the Cold War front line. She then defected to the West, eventually becoming a super hero and an Avenger. Natasha has earned a reputation as a consummate professional, coldly efficient and as deadly as her namesake. But now, her time as Black Widow may be running out. Yelena Belova, the new Black Widow, seeks to claim the mantle she feels was stolen from her Motherland. Anxious to prove herself by eliminating her counterpart, Belova will stop at nothing to achieve her goal. The battle of the two Widows rages from the deserts of the Middle East to New York's Upper West Side. And when the smoke clears, will either be left standing? Collecting BLACK WIDOW (1999) #1-3 and BLACK WIDOW (2001) #1-3.
    152 PGS./Rated T+ ...$19.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9602-0