Page 390 of 402 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400 ... LastLast
Results 5,836 to 5,850 of 6026

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Yes, I agree and probably feel even more ehhh with a more brutal Natasha. Not terribly interested in a female punisher if that’s their goal. Nat’s got enough history I don’t think she needs re inventing. Gotta side with Winterboy, a committed solid team would be so nice, and a commitment from editorial to withstand the vicissitudes of market would be such a gift.
    I'm okay with a more brutal Natasha if it makes sense for the character. I can totally see her going full out to save the lives of children being used for dark web smut films. But what worries me from reading the interviews, is it seems like the writers are mistaking 616 Natasha's moral code, mercy, and belief in redemption for MCU Natasha's remorsefulness and guilt, and in an attempt to do a 180 from Whedon's Natasha they're going to run right over 616 Natasha's characterization.
    Last edited by Whizbang; 10-08-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Even if it was planned ahead of time as twelve issues, had the book really taken off, I'm sure there would have been talk of extending its run - whether with Waid/Samnee or by bringing in a new creative team.

That was a seriously great series but the interest level from readers didn't seem to be there, sadly.
    From what I understand, the purpose of the series was to give Samnee the chance to be a co-writer. He was the one who wanted to do a Black Widow story, and so both Waid and Marvel went along with it with the understanding that it would be a limited run. I would need to look back at the press for series, but I'm pretty sure that it was always advertised as being a 12-issue series from the very beginning. As for bringing in a new creative team, you have to remember that the Samnee/Waid run ended right as SE was ramping up. Presumably, the decision to kill off Natasha was made fairly early in the planning of the event so it wouldn't make sense for Marvel to extend the series with a new creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Good solid story, of course. Vacuous, arbitrary miniseries, probably not. I actually want good stories, but many of them, that brings a commitment to the character over time. Same issue with the hodgepodge of Winter Soldier writings. Really tired of the one night stands we get from Marvel. Put her in the Avengers again or back in Captain America. The character well written elevates any series.
    Honestly at this point, I would be quite happy for Marvel to hold off on the solo series if we could get a dedicated, serious, well-written team book with both characters. Give me a Secret Avengers led by Natasha, with Bucky, Bobbi, and Sharon - actual spy characters and not any old character just randomly thrown into a spy book (or thrown in to align with the MCU *coughClintcough*).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Makes sense. She's been through a rough experience. I'm hoping for a Logan team-up.

CoughX-23teamupcough.

FLAVIANO BW.jpg
    "pic completely unrelated with the news that i'm gonna draw Black Widow, i just had it in my HD"
    Flaviano
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    FLAVIANO BW.jpg
    "pic completely unrelated with the news that i'm gonna draw Black Widow, i just had it in my HD"
    Flaviano
    Well, I like it a lot! The shadow on her face is awesome, and the spy-thriller-hiding feeling is perfect.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I like that too.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I like that too.
    Do you have more hope now?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Do you have more hope now?
    Man, I'm a huge fan of Black Widow.

I'm already anxious.

Yeah, it's me!

Man, I'm a huge fan of Black Widow.

I'm already anxious.

Yeah, it's me!
    I'm anxious too. But also really excited!

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm anxious too. But also really excited!
    I'll follow up Flaviano's twitter everyday!

Ultimate Member

The Soska sisters are known for their work in extreme horror films and are fans of grindhouse cinema. So a "more brutal" Natasha isn't surprising coming from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
    I'm okay with a more brutal Natasha if it makes sense for the character. I can totally see her going full out to save the lives of children being used for dark web smut films. But what worries me from reading the interviews, is it seems like the writers are mistaking 616 Natasha's moral code, mercy, and belief in redemption for MCU Natasha's remorsefulness and guilt, and in an attempt to do a 180 from Whedon's Natasha they're going to run right over 616 Natasha's characterization.
    This is my big worry. Reading the interview didn't give me a good feeling about this book, as it feels like they're gonna overcompensate on the "softer" MCU version by going full on brutal and lacking in morals/empathy, and that's just not Natasha either. Just because she had no issues killing people, and will do what it takes to get the job done, doesn't mean she's apt to just go on a murder spree and kill anyone and everyone that gets in her way.

I hope future interviews make it sound more layered, but right now I am not liking the sound of this solo.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I usually feel like it's the MCU version that's been pulling the comics character in a more aggressive direction. IIRC, they didn't start calling Natasha an assassin in recap blurbs and solicitations until The Avengers came out and Tony called both Natasha and Clint "world-class assassins" in his elevator speech to Loki.

I think it's cool that Marvel got the Soskas on this project. I haven't watched their stuff but I have a passing awareness of them as being cult-favorite grindhouse directors. I think it's cool that Natasha is important enough to hire people who are famous outside of comics to write.

My only real concern is that their stated approach sounds a lot like The Things They Say About Her, or really just like Natasha becoming The Punisher. I'm not really into that, since it isn't Natasha's capacity for violence in and of itself that interests me. But I'm hoping that there's more to it than that.

BANNED

I'm hoping for a Spider-man Team-up moment in the new Black Widow series....I mean who else knows about CLONES better than him.