Page 56 of 402 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The Red Room is a key feature.

Speaking of the Red Room, where does it make appearances in the comics? There is no wiki article so I don't know when it was first mentioned nor its later appearances. Can anyone give any guidance on that as I got interested in it recently.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    Speaking of the Red Room, where does it make appearances in the comics? There is no wiki article so I don't know when it was first mentioned nor its later appearances. Can anyone give any guidance on that as I got interested in it recently.
    The Red Room first comes up in Devin Grayson's Black Widow v1. When Yelena Belova introduces herself, she says that she is a student of the Red Room - just like Natasha. It's implied that the Red Room is the section of Soviet/Russian intelligence responsible for training and directing the Black Widow. It's very briefly mentioned in the sequel miniseries (Black Widow v2) by Grayson and Greg Rucka where we also see Yelena's superior, General Stalyenko, again.

There's a little more of the Red Room in Greg Rucka's Black Widow MAX series, where they send Yelena Belova on an investigation. It's treated more or less as a component of the GRU (Russian Military Intelligence) in that story, too.

Then, in Richard K. Morgan's "Black Widow: Homecoming", he uses the Red Room again and changes it so that the Red Room is this organization that takes little girls and brainwashes them and molds them in killers (among other things). The Agent Carter thing seems to be taking its cues from that interpretation.

Aside from that, it's touched upon for a little in Paul Cornell's "Black Widow: Deadly Origin" (although in his version of events, Natasha just happens to attend an oddly military-focused school for Soviet orphans and then trains to become a Black Widow later in life). There's a long flashback to the Red Room in the first issue of "Black Widow & the Marvel Girls," although that was an all-ages book so idk if it's in continuity? It contradicts Deadly Origin which came out at around the same time, I think. There's also a brief-ish scene of a trashed Red Room facility in "Widowmaker."

And, looking at the Wikipedia page, the Red Room apparently used Omega Red in some 2008 issues of Uncanny X-Men! I haven't read those so idk what the deal is with that.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 01-31-2015 at 11:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    If you like Black Widow and you haven't been watching Agent Carter ... I think now is the time to start.
    I saw that moment and I couldn't help but think, "That looks familiar..." And sure enough I looked at a few sites and I wasn't the only one.

The Red Room first comes up in Devin Grayson's Black Widow v1. When Yelena Belova introduces herself, she says that she is a student of the Red Room - just like Natasha. It's implied that the Red Room is the section of Soviet/Russian intelligence responsible for training and directing the Black Widow. It's very briefly mentioned in the sequel miniseries (Black Widow v2) by Grayson and Greg Rucka where we also see Yelena's superior, General Stalyenko, again.

There's a little more of the Red Room in Greg Rucka's Black Widow MAX series, where they send Yelena Belova on an investigation. It's treated more or less as a component of the GRU (Russian Military Intelligence) in that story, too.

Then, in Richard K. Morgan's "Black Widow: Homecoming", he uses the Red Room again and changes it so that the Red Room is this organization that takes little girls and brainwashes them and molds them in killers (among other things). The Agent Carter thing seems to be taking its cues from that interpretation.

Aside from that, it's touched upon for a little in Paul Cornell's "Black Widow: Deadly Origin" (although in his version of events, Natasha just happens to attend an oddly military-focused school for Soviet orphans and then trains to become a Black Widow later in life). There's a long flashback to the Red Room in the first issue of "Black Widow & the Marvel Girls," although that was an all-ages book so idk if it's in continuity? It contradicts Deadly Origin which came out at around the same time, I think. There's also a brief-ish scene of a trashed Red Room facility in "Widowmaker."

And, looking at the Wikipedia page, the Red Room apparently used Omega Red in some 2008 issues of Uncanny X-Men! I haven't read those so idk what the deal is with that.
    Thank you for that very informative!

Have a great week everyone!
    marco santucci.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Some Awesome New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Promo Art From Fathead Wall Decals..

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=114726
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Black Widow by AH!
    Black Widow by AH.jpg

I've always enjoyed AH's work.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    The Red Room is a key feature.
    The Black Widow episode of Agent Carter "the Iron Ceiling" airs tonight

Black Widow 1969 by Ron Frenz...
    marvel 1969 ron frenz.jpg

New Black Widow?

This is a great summary!

There are two training places Natasha gets sent to in Deadly Origins: one is referencing Wolverine Origins #9, which doesn't feature the Red Room but does feature a generic killing academy for small children principle that Logan helps Natasha escape from. IIRC the boss of that orphan school was the evil mastermind of that whole series. Like much of Wolverine Origins the continuity made no sense and the writing was poor, so I'm kind of in favor of pretending it never happened.

I don't think BW & the Marvel Girls is supposed to be in continuity, but it does seem to match up with Tobin's Marvel Adventures Natasha, who expressed anguish about losing her childhood.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Some Awesome New AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Promo Art From Fathead Wall Decals..

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=114726

I know they "needed" to expand the Widow's offensive capabilities but...

Mockingbird_AA_h.jpg
    #donttellbobbi #swaggerjack