Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Which Superman storyline would you like to see as an animated film that never will become reality?

We're not talking stories that were only half-way adapted (AS-S, Death of Superman) but rather, stories that you enjoy from the comics that will never likely even be considered for animated film adaptations.

Here are mine:

*The original Death of Superman: Luthor's "conversion" and team up with his old pal from childhood (though he never knew it) and working together to make the world a utopia, until...yep. I think this would be a very dark, fun, and interesting animated film and would also be a way to spotlight soon to be TV star, Supergirl.

*Electric Superman: Yep, I know. What am I smoking? Underneath the meandering and silly saga, there's a story that's pretty interesting: Superman loses the powers he's had most of his life and receives new and initially deadly ones. How does he cope? How does manage to control those powers without hurting his wife and others? How does he deal with a split in his personality and person? This story could be easily condensed into a 70 minute flick. Though it would be "fun," something that seems to be a no-no these days.

*Superman Red/Superman Blue: This is an epic story when taken as more than just a one and done"imaginary" tale from the Silver Age. The ramifications are tremendous: Superman, having hit a wall of personal failures (enlarging Kandor, persistent crime, etc) uses varieties of the only thing that can kill him to try and enhance his intellect, becoming two similar yet distinct beings in the process. The changes to Earth and human development are astonishing. The double weddings are the stuff of legend and the rebirth of Krypton is the capper on the ultimate, most fitting end to the Silver Age Superman imaginable. After all he did for us, Superman gets not one, but two happy endings. Again, this would involve a lot of that pesky "fun" stuff.

*Time And Time Again: Superman bounces around the timestream, going prehistoric and even becomes a meta-textual predecessor of his own heroic identity. Not to mention WW II and T-Rexes.

*Panic in the Sky: trim the fat of the 90s continuity trappings in this story and it's an epic tale: Brainiac secures War World and prepares to wreak havoc across the stars. Supergirl, Maxima, the JLA, other DC heroes. It could be epic, and much more fun than Superman Tightly Wound.

*Superman: Dead Again: Superman died and then returned...yet there he is in his coffin?! Is Superman really back or is it a clone, maybe that sand creature copy from Walt Simonson's Superman Special #1? (an inside joke for those of us who remember that book and the speculation that surrounded it during the Death of Superman and Dead Again) Or is Superman losing his mind? Who can he trust? Is he even really alive? Another great tale with tons of potential for an animated film.

*Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey: this might actually happen in Doomie ever makes it to live action, but it's not likely. Still, it was an exciting tale and I remember being besides myself with anticipation for it as a teenager: Doomsday was returning! To stop him last time, all Superman had to do was die! What's he going to do this time to stop this engine of destruction? And just who and what is Doomsday, and where did he come from? Not to mention ancient alien races, a massive nuclear explosion, and DARKSEID.

*Superman/Aliens: too much legal red tape and waning interest in the old beasties, but what a fun story this was. Superman's final solution to his own xenomorph infestation was great.

*Superman: Secret Identity: There's no better story to explore what Superman means as a fictional character to those who enjoy his exploits. Kurt Busiek created a classic that has sadly been lost in a sea of overrated mediocrity (I'm looking at you, For Tomorrow).

There's tons more, but these are the ones that sprung to mind during the morning commute. Please share your thoughts and your own ideas.

The first one that came to mid was "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?," but I'm sure there are others. I'd love to see Mark Waid's Birthright adapted for animation.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I agree, "Panic In The Sky" would make a great animated movie.

And I still think the "Doomsday" film was a joke. They could (and should) re-do the entire Death of Superman as a trilogy - one film each for "Death...", "Funeral For a Friend", and "Reign of the Supermen".
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Superman unchained

What Johns and Romita Jr. are doing currently and Superman: New Krypton. Oh and Lex Luthor Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    We're not talking stories that were only half-way adapted (AS-S, Death of Superman) but rather, stories that you enjoy from the comics that will never likely even be considered for animated film adaptations.

Here are mine:

*The original Death of Superman: Luthor's "conversion" and team up with his old pal from childhood (though he never knew it) and working together to make the world a utopia, until...yep. I think this would be a very dark, fun, and interesting animated film and would also be a way to spotlight soon to be TV star, Supergirl.

*Electric Superman: Yep, I know. What am I smoking? Underneath the meandering and silly saga, there's a story that's pretty interesting: Superman loses the powers he's had most of his life and receives new and initially deadly ones. How does he cope? How does manage to control those powers without hurting his wife and others? How does he deal with a split in his personality and person? This story could be easily condensed into a 70 minute flick. Though it would be "fun," something that seems to be a no-no these days.

*Superman Red/Superman Blue: This is an epic story when taken as more than just a one and done"imaginary" tale from the Silver Age. The ramifications are tremendous: Superman, having hit a wall of personal failures (enlarging Kandor, persistent crime, etc) uses varieties of the only thing that can kill him to try and enhance his intellect, becoming two similar yet distinct beings in the process. The changes to Earth and human development are astonishing. The double weddings are the stuff of legend and the rebirth of Krypton is the capper on the ultimate, most fitting end to the Silver Age Superman imaginable. After all he did for us, Superman gets not one, but two happy endings. Again, this would involve a lot of that pesky "fun" stuff.

*Time And Time Again: Superman bounces around the timestream, going prehistoric and even becomes a meta-textual predecessor of his own heroic identity. Not to mention WW II and T-Rexes.

*Panic in the Sky: trim the fat of the 90s continuity trappings in this story and it's an epic tale: Brainiac secures War World and prepares to wreak havoc across the stars. Supergirl, Maxima, the JLA, other DC heroes. It could be epic, and much more fun than Superman Tightly Wound.

*Superman: Dead Again: Superman died and then returned...yet there he is in his coffin?! Is Superman really back or is it a clone, maybe that sand creature copy from Walt Simonson's Superman Special #1? (an inside joke for those of us who remember that book and the speculation that surrounded it during the Death of Superman and Dead Again) Or is Superman losing his mind? Who can he trust? Is he even really alive? Another great tale with tons of potential for an animated film.

*Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey: this might actually happen in Doomie ever makes it to live action, but it's not likely. Still, it was an exciting tale and I remember being besides myself with anticipation for it as a teenager: Doomsday was returning! To stop him last time, all Superman had to do was die! What's he going to do this time to stop this engine of destruction? And just who and what is Doomsday, and where did he come from? Not to mention ancient alien races, a massive nuclear explosion, and DARKSEID.

*Superman/Aliens: too much legal red tape and waning interest in the old beasties, but what a fun story this was. Superman's final solution to his own xenomorph infestation was great.

*Superman: Secret Identity: There's no better story to explore what Superman means as a fictional character to those who enjoy his exploits. Kurt Busiek created a classic that has sadly been lost in a sea of overrated mediocrity (I'm looking at you, For Tomorrow).

There's tons more, but these are the ones that sprung to mind during the morning commute. Please share your thoughts and your own ideas.
    That's a pretty fun list. I especially like the Aliens/Superman notion. I never actually got to read that one and have yet to hunt it down.

I'd like to see Morrison's opening Action arc made into a film (especially if Pak's Zero Year issue of Action was included somehow). And the first dozen or so issues from Action (1938) could be fun too if properly adapted and re-written with story-running plot threads and an overarching threat. Yeah, Im a fan of the Golden Age social crusader.

Pak's opening Action arc with Subterra and Baka.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Superman unchained
    Print that.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The Supergirl Saga (Superman vol 2)

Superman Exile (get some Mongul action)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Superman unchained
    I don't know i think it's fairly reasonable they might consider that sense they are on a new 52 adaption kick right now for there animated movies.

Superman: Man of Steel (John Byrne, Marv Wolfman): Seriously I would love to see several movies about that great run with Superman. It was my first taste of comic book Superman and I loved how good-hearted and light in a way it felt. It wasn`t overly serious and Superman was just a good guy boy-scout. I sort of miss that version of Superman

Superman For All Seasons (Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale): A lovely tale of Superman which shows how he came to be from Metropolis, showing his life in the Smallville and how helped people even there and it created good dynamic between the characters closely related with Superman such as Lois Lane,Lex Luthor and Jonathan Kent.

Superman: Secret Identity (Kurt Busiek,Stuart Immonen): Seriously love this other world story about Superman where Superman is just known as a comic book character where a boy named Clark Kent figures he has powers of Superman. A lovely story about life and growing up in general, where he just lives a normal life, saving people and tries to find a way so that the governement doesn`t get to know who he is. Great original concept and It`s overall a beautiful story about Superman growing up,falling in love and then getting old.

I would like tosee " For Tommorow " adapted in an animation movie. Not a big fan of the comics but I think it would make for a perfect movie since that's the way it have been written and I have always been curious to see what t would looks like

Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman: Trinity by Matt Wagner
    Superman: Eradication!
    Superman: Panic in the Sky
    Superman: Ending Battle
    Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
    Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
    Superman: The Return and Reign of Doomsday
    Justice League of America: The Nail
    Superman/Batman: Sorcerer Kings

Pretty much any story from the old DC Comics Presents title would be lovely , but I doubt it will ever happen.
    Last edited by Burning Eyes; 01-14-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

I think Doomed would be a good animated movie. Would bring in other characters like Supergirl and Wonder Woman. I think it would be a pretty good film.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

All-New Member

Brokeback Mountain Titanic Annual 1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    I don't know i think it's fairly reasonable they might consider that sense they are on a new 52 adaption kick right now for there animated movies.
    it has some chances, but I don't think this is what they want for the new animated universe from DC. Too classic and old school. It was also the only storyline that came in my head lol

Quote Originally Posted by TeenWonder View Post
    Superman: Man of Steel (John Byrne, Marv Wolfman): Seriously I would love to see several movies about that great run with Superman. It was my first taste of comic book Superman and I loved how good-hearted and light in a way it felt. It wasn`t overly serious and Superman was just a good guy boy-scout. I sort of miss that version of Superman

Superman For All Seasons (Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale): A lovely tale of Superman which shows how he came to be from Metropolis, showing his life in the Smallville and how helped people even there and it created good dynamic between the characters closely related with Superman such as Lois Lane,Lex Luthor and Jonathan Kent.

Superman: Secret Identity (Kurt Busiek,Stuart Immonen): Seriously love this other world story about Superman where Superman is just known as a comic book character where a boy named Clark Kent figures he has powers of Superman. A lovely story about life and growing up in general, where he just lives a normal life, saving people and tries to find a way so that the governement doesn`t get to know who he is. Great original concept and It`s overall a beautiful story about Superman growing up,falling in love and then getting old.
    good choices