Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you date a telepath? (Comicstrip)

wwtcomics.com/comic20/ Did this strip inspired by the relationship between Scott and Jean. I don't think I would be able to be with a telepath myself, as I would not like the lack of privacy, or the fact that she could control my mind whenever she wanted. Which brings me to the question, would you date a telepath?

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonywwt View Post
    wwtcomics.com/comic20/ Did this strip inspired by the relationship between Scott and Jean. I don't think I would be able to be with a telepath myself, as I would not like the lack of privacy, or the fact that she could control my mind whenever she wanted. Which brings me to the question, would you date a telepath?
    It would depend on the telepath.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tonywwt View Post
    wwtcomics.com/comic20/Which brings me to the question, would you date a telepath?
    Yes, but only if I was living in the fictional world of the MU. I don't think a telepath in the real world would be able to have any healthy relationships; unless they could genuinely avoid temptation and stay out people's heads(unlikely). We just have way too many nasty, wretched, private thoughts and feelings floating around in our heads. Anyone who's privy to them would likely go insane.

Also, I'd be genuinely terrified of someone who could read and control my mind. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprior93 View Post
    Yes, but only if I was living in the fictional world of the MU. I don't think a telepath in the real world would be able to have any healthy relationships; unless they could genuinely avoid temptation and stay out people's heads(unlikely). We just have way too many nasty, wretched, private thoughts and feelings floating around in our heads. Anyone who's privy to them would likely go insane.

Also, I'd be genuinely terrified of someone who could read and control my mind. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them.
    Pretty much this.

I think not but love is complicated if true the more you try to get away greater the desire and temptation.

There would be no place for secrets but the connection between the couple would be extremely powerful in a unique way.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Pretty much this.
    Ditto. Only in a fiction world, and maybe not even then.

Maybe if said telepath is Jean or Emma, otherwise, i dont think so.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Definitely depends on the telepath!

I wouldn't want to be ever close to a telepath, period.

I mean, even if she's somebody you wholly trust, how can you be sure that trust is natural, and not a compulsion implanted by that telepath? Even if I don't remember that telepath ever doing anything disrespectful or dishonest with her power, how can you trust you memories?

Merely being around a telepath would destroy your sense of self at its fundations. Are you really you, or a creation of somebody else?

That's the reason I find either unbelievable or creepy how the X-Men accept having telepaths messing with their heads all the time, and the reactions of the telepaths when they react as if protecting your mind were a personal offense against their right to peek into you thoughts and manipulate your mind.

I find it unbelievable because anybody normal would feel uncomfortable about the issue, and even if the X-Men have been thoroughly trained by their mentor to accept that, they all have had their trust betrayed by their fellow telepaths (Xavier erasing Vulcan and the others from the X-Men memories, manipulating their loved ones' minds so they would forget about the school/accept their children going there, Emma violating Jean and Storm during her villainous stage...etc.).

I find creepy because the unfortunate implication is that the non-telepath X-Men have been conditioned by their telepath teammates so they don't care the constant mental intrusion.

And the reaction of the telepaths when they find somebody is shielding their mind is cringe-worthy: "If you weren't planning something heinous you wouldn't protect you mind against intrusions and manipulations!".

If it was Emma, sure, why not.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Spectacular Member

I would sleep with one but never marry.Can you imagine the constant fights we would get?I can't keep a secret, surprises are out of the window not to mention possible mind control now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by drauglin View Post
    I would sleep with one but never marry.Can you imagine the constant fights we would get?I can't keep a secret, surprises are out of the window not to mention possible mind control now and then.
    Who says you would have a choice about marrying or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I wouldn't want to be ever close to a telepath, period.

I mean, even if she's somebody you wholly trust, how can you be sure that trust is natural, and not a compulsion implanted by that telepath? Even if I don't remember that telepath ever doing anything disrespectful or dishonest with her power, how can you trust you memories?

Merely being around a telepath would destroy your sense of self at its fundations. Are you really you, or a creation of somebody else?

That's the reason I find either unbelievable or creepy how the X-Men accept having telepaths messing with their heads all the time, and the reactions of the telepaths when they react as if protecting your mind were a personal offense against their right to peek into you thoughts and manipulate your mind.

I find it unbelievable because anybody normal would feel uncomfortable about the issue, and even if the X-Men have been thoroughly trained by their mentor to accept that, they all have had their trust betrayed by their fellow telepaths (Xavier erasing Vulcan and the others from the X-Men memories, manipulating their loved ones' minds so they would forget about the school/accept their children going there, Emma violating Jean and Storm during her villainous stage...etc.).

I find creepy because the unfortunate implication is that the non-telepath X-Men have been conditioned by their telepath teammates so they don't care the constant mental intrusion.

And the reaction of the telepaths when they find somebody is shielding their mind is cringe-worthy: "If you weren't planning something heinous you wouldn't protect you mind against intrusions and manipulations!".
    I agree. I would have serious trust issues if I was with one.

If you are into BDSM, telepathic mind-control might be a turn on.