Amazing Member

Default random question about hair

I don't know if this is true in all storylines, but in for all seasons when the barber tries to cut Clarks hair the scissors break...so how does he get a haircut? Does his hair not grow? It must because he went through that mullet phase.

Back in the silver age that was the exact reason given: So long as he was exposed to Earth's Yellow Sun, His hair DIDN'T grow.

EDIT: Except in such circumstances where Red Kryptonite was involved.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eternaldream24 View Post
    I don't know if this is true in all storylines, but in for all seasons when the barber tries to cut Clarks hair the scissors break...so how does he get a haircut? Does his hair not grow? It must because he went through that mullet phase.
    I was just musing about this very same topic a couple of days ago. In my post I was wondering if Superman should get a new hairdo? But now that you mention it I wonder (mullet aside) if Superman is capable of having a different hairdo. Is there something about his alien DNA that forces his hair to maintain the same style?

Also does the wind mess Superman's hair up? If scissors can't cut his hair I'm guessing that wind can't blow his hair around right?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eternaldream24 View Post
    Post-CRISIS, Clark's hair grew out like any normal human's (he would often need a shave as well) so he used his heat vision as a set of shears/razors to sut away the hair. The Mullet phase was after he'd been killed by Doomsday, as his body was 'mostly dead' (as in an imperceptible heartbeat and waning brain activity) but alive enough that his hair continued to grow while his body was healing (his body being brought back to the Antarctic Fortress of Solitude to take advantage of the hole in the Ozone Layer probably helped). When Clark finally regained consciousness, he had the mullet (but not a beard as I recall - maybe the robots had better shears?) and deciced to keep it for a while (He tied it into a ponytail as Clark Kent while letting the mullet flow free as Superman).

His hair does not grow in the Earths atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Oruncrest View Post
    Post-CRISIS, Clark's hair grew out like any normal human's (he would often need a shave as well) so he used his heat vision as a set of shears/razors to sut away the hair. The Mullet phase was after he'd been killed by Doomsday, as his body was 'mostly dead' (as in an imperceptible heartbeat and waning brain activity) but alive enough that his hair continued to grow while his body was healing (his body being brought back to the Antarctic Fortress of Solitude to take advantage of the hole in the Ozone Layer probably helped). When Clark finally regained consciousness, he had the mullet (but not a beard as I recall - maybe the robots had better shears?) and deciced to keep it for a while (He tied it into a ponytail as Clark Kent while letting the mullet flow free as Superman).
    Funny enough, when he awoke in the fortress (it was an Action Comics issue, not sure about the #), he had his classic short hair. It wasn't until he arrived in Metropolis & exited the Kryptonian Warsuit that he was revealed to have the long hair. I always thought that was funny.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Superman never really had a mullet. Thats just the way he styles his hair, combed back and on the sides and the fact it curls.

Heres panels from Superman 139, from the 60's, before mullets were even a thing.

Also proves what was said earlier about Silver Age era, the X-Ray and sun.

Retired

Mullets were kind of a thing in the '50s and early '60s before the Beatles came along--back then whenever there was a period piece on TV or in the movies, the male hero would have long hair, but groomed like a mullet. Probably because actors had regular short haircuts, so all they could do to make it look long was add a piece to the back. This is how we saw old fashioned people as looking--note that the Toyman who was old fashioned in his attire started out with long hair and moved to a mullet by the '50s. Given the way that the actors on the screen looked, this may have affected how Curt Swan drew Superman's hair in that Red K story. Once the Beatles made long hair popular, actors in period movies no longer had mullets but rather long hair front, back and sideways (unless they were older actors like Jimmy Stewart).

Nice inks from John Forte over Swan on that Red Kryptonite story. I was aware of this line of reasoning for Superman's hair growth when I was a lad; however, I had to wonder about it when the Sand Superman Saga came along and Clark started to have longer sideburns. Now you could backwards reason that the Sand creature was sapping Superman's powers and thus Clark's hair was growing a bit--but the fact is Clark had the longer sideburns before Sandy appeared on the scene. My personal explanation was that Superman often did lose his powers--and he vistied Kandor regularily. So even though he normally wouldn't grow a beard or longer hair, there was some growth over time, because of all the instances where he was depowered. This could suggest that Kal-El, Krypto and Kara would get together on a regular basis at the Fortress of Solitude for a barber session. Now if the other two helped Clark groom his hair to be in fashion with the times, did Kal-El also help out his cousin? Note that Kara started wearing her hair longer in the early '70s and she was wearing those short short hotpants.

But before one imagines Superman giving his cuz a bikini shave, there's a much more practical answer to how Superman and Supergirl could groom their hair--a Kandor hair salon. This seems more likely. I imagine Kal-El paid regular visits to Fel-Oyd the barber as part of his routine in ol' Kandor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Mullets were kind of a thing in the '50s and early '60s before the Beatles came along--back then whenever there was a period piece on TV or in the movies, the male hero would have long hair, but groomed like a mullet. Probably because actors had regular short haircuts, so all they could do to make it look long was add a piece to the back. This is how we saw old fashioned people as looking--note that the Toyman who was old fashioned in his attire started out with long hair and moved to a mullet by the '50s. Given the way that the actors on the screen looked, this may have affected how Curt Swan drew Superman's hair in that Red K story. Once the Beatles made long hair popular, actors in period movies no longer had mullets but rather long hair front, back and sideways (unless they were older actors like Jimmy Stewart).

Except we didn't call them "Mullets" in the 50's, we called them Pompadours up front and DA aka Duck A** or, Ducktails in the back - Which were held in place by the use of pomades like: Brylcreem, Butch Wax, Nu-nile, Murray's, Royal Crown or, good ole' fashion Petroleum Jelly, all to slick it back with