Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Star Wars #1 Spoilers

Well now, this was a nice surprise in the dialogue department. I found it enjoyable, although the stakes and mission at hand weren't anything bigger than what we've seen before. Sort of like a "just another mission" story. I gave it a full review with pictures here if anyone is interested.

spoilers:
    The book opens after A New Hope, Luke, Leia R2-D2 and Han are pretending to be emissaries of Jabba on Corellion Cymoon 1 to negotiate a deal to supply weapons.Or so it seems. Luke and Leia are undercover, but Zuckus the bounty hunter is there to greet them and knows who Han is and that he has a bounty on his head.

Chewie is outside with a sniper weapon and C-3P0 is at the Millennium Falcon ready to aid in escape if need be.

With their weapons taken away R2 sprays a sludge on the floor and zaps it to take out some stormtroopers. Luke wanders off and finds some slaves who have been doing all the work in an "automated" factory. He frees them, but the negotiator shows up, none other than Dark Vader. Leia tells Chewie to take the shot and kill him but he obviously is too good to be taken out like a chump. He uses two StormTroopers as a shield even. Yipes.

C-3P0 can't get the ship off the ground due to some local scavengers but Han decides to steal a AT-AT to make a getaway. Darth senses Luke and seeks him out. The final page shows them ready to duel and Obi-Wan's spirit tells Luke to run.
    end of spoilers

What did you guys think?!
    Last edited by Nosocialize; 01-14-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

I really would prefer something else than the same old Luke/Han/Leia story once again. It looks good though.

Does anyone know if the great novel Shadow of the Empire is no longer in canon? I think it isn't but damn would that be sad. Not that it matters here that's between Empire and Return of the Jedi.

Ultimate Member

I think I'll give this a try.

I've only heard good things about it.

It was a pretty good first issue, but I'm not certain that I'm sold on this series, yet. I get why Marvel wants all three of these Star Wars books set during the same time, but I couldn't help thinking this book would be better if it was just about Han, during his Pre-Rebel, Smuggler days. He was easily the best part of this whole issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Does anyone know if the great novel Shadow of the Empire is no longer in canon? I think it isn't but damn would that be sad. Not that it matters here that's between Empire and Return of the Jedi.
    I'm pretty sure it's Legends now, along with everything else.

It's been a long time since I read the novel or the comic adaptation, but I remember Xizor and Dash "Han Solo-wannabe" Rendar, being pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    It was a pretty good first issue, but I'm not certain that I'm sold on this series, yet. I get why Marvel wants all three of these Star Wars books set during the same time, but I couldn't help thinking this book would be better if it was just about Han, during his Pre-Rebel, Smuggler days. He was easily the best part of this whole issue.

I'm pretty sure it's Legends now, along with everything else.

It's been a long time since I read the novel or the comic adaptation, but I remember Xizor and Dash "Han Solo-wannabe" Rendar, being pretty lame.
    I'm in a similar boat I think I read that book a good 15 years ago! My memories were very positive though!

The Black Sun organization introduced in the novel/comic/video game is still part of canon-they appeared in the Clone Wars CG series, which is still considered canon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Black Sun organization introduced in the novel/comic/video game is still part of canon-they appeared in the Clone Wars CG series, which is still considered canon.
    Aha good to know! Thanks!

My only complaint was the extra pages to show us previews for Darth Vader and Princess Leia. Not sure this issue was worth 5 dollars since the previews didn't really give us anything. Those pages could have gone to the story and that would have made this issue worth 5 dollars.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    I really would prefer something else than the same old Luke/Han/Leia story once again.
    Which is why I passed on it. Maybe when Marvel does something with the new or existing characters I might take a peek.

Thanks for that page count update Pabst, another reason why I passed.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Only the OT, PT, Clone Wars cartoon and Rebels cartoon are considered official canon now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Han was great in this issue
    Is it so hard to write leai well? Yeah trying to kill vader is clearly more important than the mission at hand and chewbacca is gonna take him out like a chump that easy. -_-
    Luke well.... I've read worse novels with him in it so this was okay

Nice addition to the new star wars eu

Random question. How much time passes between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Han was great in this issue
    Is it so hard to write leai well? Yeah trying to kill vader is clearly more important than the mission at hand and chewbacca is gonna take him out like a chump that easy. -_-
    Luke well.... I've read worse novels with him in it so this was okay

Nice addition to the new star wars eu
    I feel like Brian Wood wrote Leia very well in his Star Wars series. https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-8...w-of-Yavin-TPB

I feel like Brian Wood wrote Leia very well in his Star Wars series. https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/19-8...w-of-Yavin-TPB
    Kind of funny Dark Horse ALREADY did this #1 Star Wars between New Hope and Empire.