Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Personally, I thought this was pretty good. It's not terribly original and it's clearly aimed more at a general audience than people who were already reading Star Wars comics, but Cassaday did a nice job nailing the look of the original trilogy and Aaron seems to have a handle on the characters. The obligatory big "cue John Williams" moments mostly landed, which helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    Random question. How much time passes between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?
    Three years, I believe.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 01-14-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Personally, I thought this was pretty good. It's not terribly original and it's clearly aimed more at a general audience than people who were already reading Star Wars comics, but Cassaday did a nice job nailing the look of the original trilogy and Aaron seems to have a handle on the characters. The obligatory big "cue John Williams" moments mostly landed, which helped a lot.

Three years, I believe.
    I'd love to hear the opinion of someone who HASN'T seen Star Wars.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm enjoying it, nice to have a in continuity story.

I've been looking forward to a comic like this ever since I heard Disney bought Star Wars. The wait was agonizing. This felt like one of those things that Marvel could either really screw up or really hit out of the park. In the end, it was a grand slam.

I loved this issue. It captured everything that makes Star Wars so awesome. It continues fairly seamlessly from the end of A New Hope. It feels like a logical progression, the Rebels attacking the Empire on other fronts. There's no negotiations, no trade federations, and no attempts to make brand new characters. It's just taking what worked so great in the first few movies and running with it. This was just the approach needed. Every character felt spot on. Every action felt genuine. It really was as great a start to this new era of Star Wars in comics as I could've hoped for.

As such, I gave this book a glowing review on my blog. If anyone is interested and if it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

My Review for Star Wars #1
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I really liked this. It's a more cinematic experience than I was expecting or even really needed but it worked. From the first few panels of the stars and the envoy to the language, it felt like Star Wars. And for something like this that's (mostly) all I need. A good adventure story with strong character beats to bridge the story between episodes.

Props to everyone who was involved with this issue.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Fantastic Member

Loved it. Makes Dark Horse comics look like amateur fan fiction. I loved how this felt like I was watching a long lost Star Wars episode. The cinematic feel was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Loved it. Makes Dark Horse comics look like amateur fan fiction. I loved how this felt like I was watching a long lost Star Wars episode. The cinematic feel was incredible.
    Definitely cinematic due to the art that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Loved it. Makes Dark Horse comics look like amateur fan fiction
    Sory, *how* many Dark Horse SW comics have you read? In 20 years they weren't all winners, but that's an unfair, sweeping, aand silly generalization. Go read any issue where Doug Wheatley was on art and maybe you'll change your mind.

BANNED

First Star Wars book that I've tried and liked (I never watched any SW movie or books and so on though).

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    First Star Wars book that I've tried and liked (I never watched any SW movie or books and so on though).
    You've never seen ANY of the movies?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I'd love to hear the opinion of someone who HASN'T seen Star Wars.
    I never seen SW and I liked this book. Not loved but it was nice, especially the art. Main problem with this sort of stuff always been seeing the faces of famous actors in a comic always put me a bit off. Helped that I didn't knew most of them except the guy that is Harrison Ford (if I am not mistaken).

Checked: the guy I recognized is Han Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Sory, *how* many Dark Horse SW comics have you read? In 20 years they weren't all winners, but that's an unfair, sweeping, aand silly generalization. Go read any issue where Doug Wheatley was on art and maybe you'll change your mind.
    Ahhhh don't play into the game of getting angry!

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I never seen SW and I liked this book. Not loved but it was nice, especially the art. Main problem with this sort of stuff always been seeing the faces of famous actors in a comic always put me a bit off. Helped that I didn't knew most of them except the guy that is Harrison Ford (if I am not mistaken).
    That was something I was very curious about. After reading it I couldn't help but think anyone who hadn't seen the movie would be lost as to who these people are and why it's so cool to see Han and his wit. Guess I'm wrong and people can enjoy it no matter if they saw the movies!

It was fun, definitely better than Star Wood. But after years of wonderful Dark Horse art, the art felt underwhelming to me. Liked the opening crawl! Jason Aaron has the voice of the characters down for sure.

Add me to the list of those who enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Wasn't even going to stop in this week, since I only had an issue of Eternal this week, but glad I decided to stop and try Star Wars as well. LCS was just about sold out today.