Default Avengers 40 *Spoilers*

avengers 40 spoilers

spoilers:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/...medium=twitter
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Default Avengers 40 *Spoilers*

Hickman's slow burn is starting to really heat up the last few issues:

Reed reveals the plan to settle up with the Cabal and surprisingly, Steve agrees.

I think it's finally revealed why exactly Steve is chasing them: the destruction of the Great Society's Earth and probably the creation of the bombs in general, unless I'm reading it wrong.

The plan involves Namor trapping the Cabal on the Mapmaker world, Thanos and Maximus say that time is running out and therefore requires the whole Cabal to go.

T'Challa makes his move by stabbing Namor and Black Bolt blasting him off the world shield platform, but lets him wake up to know that this is how he plans to kill him.

T'Challa detonates the bomb destroying the Mapmaker world and the Cabal (presumably).

T'Challa returns with Steve asking him where Namor is, he replies he's not coming to the shock and sadness of the assembled heroes.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well, T'Challa finally lives up to his promise to kill Namor. Seemingly at least

Ending the Cabal like that...even if they end up coming back for Secret Wars felt like such a waste.

It was interesting how they convinced the UN to let them operate freely, and even more so how Thanos had been learning stuff about the incursions...and now they are just gone.

I kinda expected them to do more (now, not later).

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Ending the Cabal like that...even if they end up coming back for Secret Wars felt like such a waste.

It was interesting how they convinced the UN to let them operate freely, and even more so how Thanos had been learning stuff about the incursions...and now they are just gone.

I disagree, it's about time the Marvel heroes start being smart for once. They would have been annihilated in a straight up fight, might as well hoist them by their own petards.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

thought hickman picked an awful choice to serve as an accomplice in t'challa's cold blooded murder.

the only consolation i have at the moment is the hope that hickman makes t'challa suffer an even worse fate and or death before his final issues are finished. there is no coming back from what t'challa and blackagon have done.

Despite the outcome I actually thought it was a very good showing for Namor.

He admitted he would do it again (which frankly is more than fair to say since not doing what he did would have resulted in the destruction of the universe), but he admitted it was wrong and was willing to surrender himself and go to trial over his actions. That legitimately impressed me.

And Steve was surprisingly reasonable. They built him up to be so obsessed over getting the Illuminati, yet it really only took 5 seconds for them to convince him to work with him. In hindsight I wonder if they maybe should have just surrendered to Steve right at the start. It really didn't seem like it took that much to get them to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post

We didn't see any bodies, so I'm pretty darn skeptical that the Cabal ended right there. Maybe comics just desensitived me to death too much, but I'm assuming he got out of it.

Still, I do wonder if Reed has a plan for dealing with the NEXT incursion. Because the Cabal did serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I disagree, it's about time the Marvel heroes start being smart for once. They would have been annihilated in a straight up fight, might as well hoist them by their own petards.
    That's true, I guess I'm mainly annoyed that we didnt get more Cabal.

Ultimate Member

No it's a bunch of "hero vs. hero" garbage that relies on massive plot contrivances and heroes acting like idiots and a-holes. In other works, the same crap that we've been seeing over and over and over again for years now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Despite the outcome I actually thought it was a very good showing for Namor.

He admitted he would do it again (which frankly is more than fair to say since not doing what he did would have resulted in the destruction of the universe), but he admitted it was wrong and was willing to surrender himself and go to trial over his actions. That legitimately impressed me.

And Steve was surprisingly reasonable. They built him up to be so obsessed over getting the Illuminati, yet it really only took 5 seconds for them to convince him to work with him. In hindsight I wonder if they maybe should have just surrendered to Steve right at the start. It really didn't seem like it took that much to get them to work together.
    Agreed.

I was happy Namor said he was wrong and isn't afraid to face the consequences of his action. It was a necessary evil but an evil nonetheless.

Steve was very reasonable here. At the end of the day, it just seemed all the bluster was unnecessary.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Great issue, and a fantastic character moment for T'challa.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    thought hickman picked an awful choice to serve as an accomplice in t'challa's cold blooded murder.
    Why? Namor killed a world, unleashed Thanos who was responsible for the Inhumans present situation, and is a king himself, so he understands T'challa POV pretty well.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post

the only consolation i have at the moment is the hope that hickman makes t'challa suffer an even worse fate and or death before his final issues are finished. there is no coming back from what t'challa and blackagon have done.

You mean executing a mass murderer of his sovereign state. Everyone there is also operating as rogues and without Wakanda's resources the universe would've died long ago, so do tell me, who is going to make T'Challa suffer and why?

Pretty epic end to Namor I think. I really loved how Hickman used the flashbacks to give the sword a symbolic meaning. That means his actions meant more than just a last second decision but years in the making!

I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Great issue, and a fantastic character moment for T'challa.

Why? Namor killed a world, unleashed Thanos who was responsible for the Inhumans present situation, and is a king himself, so he understands T'challa POV pretty well.
    It likely had to be Namor. He's the only one powerful enough to decisively put down Namor that quickly and easily, and one of the few willing to personally get their hands dirty to do it.