Originally started by Kid Omega on the old boards. This was one of my favorite threads when it was active, and I'd love to see it active again.

The List, Updated as Changes are Voted:

PEANUTS, Charles Schulz
FROM HELL, Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell
FANTASTIC FOUR, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
THE DUCK STORIES of Carl Barks
KRAZY KAT, George Herriman
THIMBLE THEATRE, E.C. Segar
LITTLE LULU, John Stanley and Irving Tripp
LIL' ABNER, Al Capp
HELLBOY, by Mike Mignola and others
LONE WOLF AND CUB, Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima
LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND, Winsor McKay
WATCHMEN, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
ACME NOVELTY LIBRARY, Chris Ware
LOVE & ROCKETS, Los Bros Hernandez
SANDMAN, Neil Gaiman and Various
ZAP, Robert Crumb, Spain Rodriguez, et al
CALVIN AND HOBBES, Bill Watterson
MAUS, Art Spiegelman
TERRY AND THE PIRATES, Milton Caniff
THE SPIRIT, Will Eisner, Various
POGO, Walt Kelly
PLASTIC MAN, Jack Cole
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Steve Ditko and Stan Lee
PROMETHEA, Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III
EIGHTBALL, Daniel Clowes

The Rules:

We start with the last version of the old list. If you disagree with a choice, or would like to see another comic on the top 25, you propose your choice, with a defense of the material, and eliminate one on the list with a critique.

The community then decides which stays and which goes, in an informal rolling poll, as we go. Cronin and I can change the list as the thread progresses, and the list is entirely decided by community reaction to defense of submitted titles.

For example, if you think that HOUSE OF MYSTERY (the 1970's DC horror anthology) deserves to rank rather than ZAP, you would write a proposal explaining gwhy HOUSE OF MYSTERY is great, and then, write a critique explaining why ZAP is not-so-great. Then, as other people submit and eliminate other titles, they will agree or disagree with your proposal.

1. You must have read a title to eliminate it.

2. This is the GREATEST, not "favorite", or "most influential". Just as a standard...

3. Try to be as specific as possible in narrowing down your choices.

4. You must DEFEND your choices. The better an argument you make, and the more articulate and detailed you can be, the better the list will end up being!

5. An addition (or deletion) will be made when FIVE people vote for (or against) it. If something you approve of is deleted, or something you diasgree with i added, you are still free to argue for or against. But you will have to out-vote the intial FIVE. Easy enough!

(More rules may be added as we go along- it's all going to be very fluid and we'll learn as we roll...)

This discussion will be moderated by myself (with possible others to follow, including Brian Cronin {or the Community Board's eventual moderator if it's not him}). I can change the list when there is a seemingly communal decision.

So take it away, CBR Assembled!

NOVEMBER 2011 Chris Nowlin Rule Additions:

I'll adjust and clarify the rules slightly.

1) The slate is wiped clean as of this post.
2) Once a substantiated nomination has been cast you can vote in that comics favor or against it. A total score of +5 will add it to the list.
4) Once a substantiated de-nomination has been cast, you can vote to approve of the removal or to support the comic. A total score of -5 removes the comic from the list.
5) Review the discussion thread to see what excellent nominations look like.
6) If swayed by eloquent arguments or further (re)reading, changing of votes is welcome.