Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Giant-Sized up until Claremont's departure. That will always be the X-men, to me...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Giant-Sized up until Claremont's departure. That will always be the X-men, to me...
    In retrospect, Claremont should not have left the X-men around the time of Jim Lee's tenure in 1991. If he had stayed, he would had see Jim Lee's departure. But I think that marvel should revive Avenging Spider-man and allow Claremont the chance to write Spider-man once again.

"My" X-Men are Giant-Sized X-Men up to John Romita Jr leaving. Claremont's writing was already weakening (imo), but Silvesteri's era was a shark-jump for me. One of the things I loved about the X-Men up to that period was that they were under-appreciated underdog heroes who were generally less powerful and less respected than the Avengers; after JRjr left we entered the "legendary" period of the X-Men, where the writer really began to talk the team up and make it plain that the X-Men were second to none. I still feel this was probably to do with things behind the scenes as much as anything.

Mighty Member

Yup.

There were a lot of writers I liked post Claremont, but he'll always be the god of X books to me.
    Like your avatar!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Yup.

There were a lot of writers I liked post Claremont, but he'll always be the god of X books to me.
    Like your avatar!
    I never understood why Marvel won't let Claremont do a Spider-Man series? Imagine if he place Wolfsbane into Spider-Man's world as part of the NYPD?

Of course I do. Can't beat 80's X-Men...

All-New Member

Of course I remember. I'm really digging what they're doing currently too though. Its been a while since i actually cared about what is going to happen next.

All-New Member

errrrrrrrr OK, i'll agree with you. The lee/clarmont years were really good too though.

BANNED

I technically started shortly after GSXM1 but I didn't really get into it until it got to JR jr and New Mutants too. Rogue and Rachel were wonderful additions.
    Last edited by DDD; 05-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Naaaaw, its only when i started reading the X-Men.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Remember it? I lived it. God, I feel so old.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Remember it? I lived it. God, I feel so old.
    I lived it, as well, I just don't feel old yet...

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Who remembers them? I remember them, everyday. Early 80's X-Men (CC + Smith & JRJR) are my X-Men. I like all the run from Giant Size #1 to the Outcast team (inclusive), but the Golden Years are those for me. And I honestly think those were golden years for CC, too, 'cause he seemed very comfortable with his writing and his characters. Through 70's he was still knowing about them, and from 90's the whole thing started to get out of his hand. Just some days ago I tried to re-read that era, circa Gambit's introduction to the division in Golden & Blue Teams, and I found out to be unbearably boring and overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    "My" X-Men are Giant-Sized X-Men up to John Romita Jr leaving. Claremont's writing was already weakening (imo), but Silvesteri's era was a shark-jump for me. One of the things I loved about the X-Men up to that period was that they were under-appreciated underdog heroes who were generally less powerful and less respected than the Avengers; after JRjr left we entered the "legendary" period of the X-Men, where the writer really began to talk the team up and make it plain that the X-Men were second to none. I still feel this was probably to do with things behind the scenes as much as anything.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-28-2015 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    One of the things I loved about the X-Men up to that period was that they were under-appreciated underdog heroes who were generally less powerful and less respected than the Avengers.
    I hadn't thought about it until reading your comment but, looking back on it, that's exactly the way it was. I remember them being in Secret Wars and it was almost like they didn't belong there with the A-listers. Wish we could get back there...

Astonishing Member