Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Agni is a Vedic fire god, but it also means regular fire in Sanskrit. I sincerely doubt there would have been an uproar against using that name. Could have used a more generic term like Tejas(fire/light) or Ravi(sun) if they wanted to be extra careful. Thunderbird was a dumb cop-out.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Who is Scout? Haw dare she steal Billy’s code name!

India is often one of the highest revenue markets for Marvel films. Now that China's prowess at generating box office moolah has led to Shang-Chi being dusted off the shelf, time to finally bring Neal back into the spotlight too.

India has a huge population, right there with China, but they still only represent a fraction of global box office revenue(largely due to extremely cheap theater tickets). Even the UK and Japan, who have much tinier populations, make more. I'm not sure they represent the same kind of interest to studios like China does, but I'm down for more Indian representation anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    India has a huge population, right there with China, but they still only represent a fraction of global box office revenue(largely due to extremely cheap theater tickets). Even the UK and Japan, who have much tinier populations, make more. I'm not sure they represent the same kind of interest to studios like China does, but I'm down for more Indian representation anyways.
    They aren't usually a big market for Hollywood because their own homegrown film industry is so strong. But the Marvel films, especially from Thor: Ragnarok onwards, have been breaking out like crazy (as well as the occasional Disney live action remake like The Jungle Book or The Lion King). So they would be of key interest to Disney, even if not at the "primary target level" as China.

Of the OG Marvel superheroes of Indian origin, Neal is still the best bet as Claremont pretty much envisioned him as a 'dashing Bollywood hero'.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-27-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Well, Neal's canon is remarkable thin, all things considered. He has just two short runs, really. That said, as we can see from the Eternals casting, Marvel can easily just reconfigure characters not previously of a certain origin to suit the global market of today.

Well, Neal's canon is remarkable thin, all things considered. He has just two short runs, really. That said, as we can see from the Eternals casting, Marvel can easily just reconfigure characters not previously of a certain origin to suit the global market of today.
    Well, I would hope the MCU has a MORE prominent Latinx superhero than Ajak on the big screen, awesome though Salma Hayek is.

Also, the fact that Neal is still pretty much a blank page means a new writer can do so much more with him. Provided there is motivation (of which there seems to be none).

Yeah, it's wild how little Latinx representation there is in mainstream superheroes.

As for Neal, yeah, similarly I don't see a ton of X-Men comics selling in India, so I doubt Marvel has much incentive to focus on him. He was okay in Claremont's original presentations, but I wasn't particularly impressed. Certainly a writer could expand upon him to great length, but they can do that for any character they put their minds to.

If we want characters from India to expand upon, let me speak for Haven and her brother Monsoon!

They were my absolute favorite part of 90's X-Factor, and despite having a cool set up, were woefully used past the first establishing arc. I would retool Haven to have the powers herself, not completely tied to her unborn child, but I love the new age empowerment/apocalypse Mahapralaya self-help author angle. A powerful, mature, charismatic, entrepreneurial woman from India was a refreshing angle.

Her brother was really just a special effect, so plenty of room to expand there. I would also make them more morally grey or even heroes. It is annoying to reform all the X-Villains, but there are so few people of color in these stories, let's have some more heroes.

Yeah, it's wild how little Latinx representation there is in mainstream superheroes.

As for Neal, yeah, similarly I don't see a ton of X-Men comics selling in India, so I doubt Marvel has much incentive to focus on him.
    Carol Danvers can't sell a ton of comics anywhere and that didn't stop Marvel from pushing her for years in hopes that the investment would be worth it once she hit the big screen (a gamble that paid off). Don't see why they can't give Neal focus on a team book, not even a solo like Captain Marvel.

If we want characters from India to expand upon, let me speak for Haven and her brother Monsoon!

They were my absolute favorite part of 90's X-Factor, and despite having a cool set up, were woefully used past the first establishing arc. I would retool Haven to have the powers herself, not completely tied to her unborn child, but I love the new age empowerment/apocalypse Mahapralaya self-help author angle. A powerful, mature, charismatic, entrepreneurial woman from India was a refreshing angle.

Her brother was really just a special effect, so plenty of room to expand there. I would also make them more morally grey or even heroes. It is annoying to reform all the X-Villains, but there are so few people of color in these stories, let's have some more heroes.
    Interesting. I think I'm vaguely aware of Haven's existence, never heard of Monsoon. I'm down for this even if the MCU knowing them make her a Lily Singh turned superwoman equivalent (which admittedly still sounds amazing).

I love that Lifeguard has had more off-panel mentions since X-Treme X-Men than total appearances. Never forget Utopia's Aryan street team.

Thunderbird isn't that compelling of character, I think they can do better but there is so little to be used with him and he has been gone so long that. They can go in any direction they want with him personality wise and let the backstory of the time that he was a away from X-men be flesh out to make basically a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Thunderbird isn't that compelling of character, I think they can do better but there is so little to be used with him and he has been gone so long that. They can go in any direction they want with him personality wise and let the backstory of the time that he was a away from X-men be flesh out to make basically a new character.
    The name Thunderbird needs to go. I’d call him Solarr since Silas King will likely never come back.

As for Heather, I liked her until the whole Shi’ar thing. Then quickly lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So basically what they seem to be doing with Kwannon in the Fallen Angels book.

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    I love that Lifeguard has had more off-panel mentions since X-Treme X-Men than total appearances. Never forget Utopia's Aryan street team.
    Dazzler, Lifeguard and who else was on that roster again? I like how Ali just dumped them in a matter of months (weeks?) and headed out on her X-Treme multiverse adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    No more death to Men of color mutants. We have had enough unnecessary death. You might not like the character. That is your prerogative. But I am sure a young male of color (particularly south Asian ) appreciates seeing him in a book. Just ignore him if you happen to stumble upon him.
    Hmmmmm I'll say no. I want him dead. I'd rather they introduce a new minority character than keep him around simply cuz he's a minority

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Hmmmmm I'll say no. I want him dead. I'd rather they introduce a new minority character than keep him around simply cuz he's a minority
    LMAO. What purpose would his death have other than more violence being shown on a brown body? He is virtually a blank canvas that a talented writer could work with. How would his death improve the X men? How would a character with a limited history impact the narrative with his death?