Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Wonder Woman's" Meredith & David Finch Discuss Donna Troy's New 52 Introduction

The married creators discuss bringing fan-favorite DC Comics character Donna Troy back to comics with one major change: she's now a villain.

Full article here.

Looks like Hecate was the sorceress, which is a little disappointing.

I mean, I get that they had to use her full name, but if she is being created by Hecate and that Amazon, it feels weird that she is referred to as having a last name. Wouldn't it have been just "Rise Donna" lol. That read so weird.
    Richard Alexander

Fantastic Member

I almost stopped reading this interview whne the interviewer began with that Taylor Swift reference to not mixed but mostly 'positive reviews'. SMH. I was more impressed with the Finche's responses however. I've hated these two issues. I imagine introducing Donna Troy as a villian will not endear the Finches to many Donna Troy fans either but I kind of like the idea of this is Wonder Woman without the heart. Wonder Woman has been affecting 'villians' with her spirit since her conception and this gives Meredith the ability to show one of one of Wonder Woman's best qualities at work. I just have little faith that Meredith will get it right and write the transformation of Donna Troy in a compelling way. Here's hoping I'm proven wrong.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Looks like Hecate was the sorceress, which is a little disappointing.

Agreed. Like this book really needs another public domain character introduced into it. I'd rather the Finchs had used Dark Angel. Ah well, at least they brought Donna into the book and the story is interesting so far.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

So they have basically 'Wally-fied' Donna because Meredith couldn't bother with a little research on her own... yeah, that will endear both character and creator to the fans...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    So they have basically 'Wally-fied' Donna because Meredith couldn't bother with a little research on her own... yeah, that will endear both character and creator to the fans...
    "When I found out that I was going to have the opportunity to bring Donna back into the DCU I researched her various origin stories."

Donna as a villain is annoying but hopefully this ends with Diana showing Donna the truth and gaining an ally (like she did with her villains back in the old days)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    "When I found out that I was going to have the opportunity to bring Donna back into the DCU I researched her various origin stories."
    And than she proceeded to remove Donna's greatest feature: her heart. Sorry, but from the sounds of it, Meredith has read about the various origins from somewhere other than in actual comicbooks.

Marked up as another Titan nearly completely ruined by the New 52.

They just don't get it. I'm not talking just the Finches here. Donna is the Girl Next Door, the DCU's Best Friend to Have. Of course, that's the DCU and not the nuDC. And WW is the very symbol of positive human empowerment, not like... What this creature being published under her name is.

Wonder Woman (and Donna Troy) died in 2010.

And hey, CBR: Donna Troy's first appearance was Wonder Woman #123, July, 1961, which makes her a Kanigher/Andru/Esposito creation.

"Your first issue received mixed reactions -- mostly positive --"

Really? I remember those "mixed reactions" being mostly negative. Am I misremembering?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Newsarama had another interview/article in which Meredith said the following:
    Nrama: Wally West was returned very differently than from his pre-New 52 days, and now Donna (at least initially) looks like she'll be very different. As a brand new creative team, is there any temptation to give fans exactly what they want and the Donna they remember?

Finch: It is very important to remember that it is the fans that buy the comics and allow us the opportunity to do what we do and be creative. I think that if we had brought Donna back as a character that was even remotely similar to who she was in old continuity it would have definitely been a very difficult temptation to avoid. Because we are bringing Donna back as a villain as Diana’s current rival, I have felt a lot more freedom to make her the character I want her to be and less the person fans expect.
    Emphasis mine, but something to point out. She JUST said that it's the fans who make it possible to do what they are doing and she knows that Donna is character with a huge fan base, BUT she is going to make the character she wants to make and not the one the fans want to see. That's an incredibly callous statement to make, I would think.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 01-15-2015 at 08:17 AM.

As much as I like the classic Donna Troy(not that Titans of Myth garbage), I have to say that this sounds like an interesting development for for Donna and Diana. With Donna becoming an antagonist, I think we could finally see a proper anti-Wonder Woman ala Reverse Flash, Bizarro, Sinestro, Black Adam, etc. Being born without a heart but matching Diana in every other way sounds like just what a mirror opposite of her should be about and this interests me a heck of a lot more than Devastation, Genocide, and the First Born combined. It's interesting that they were going to use Circe instead of Hecate until Circe was claimed by someone else(obviously Tomasi for Magog's creation) but at least Hecate has a cool design.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    And than she proceeded to remove Donna's greatest feature: her heart. Sorry, but from the sounds of it, Meredith has read about the various origins from somewhere other than in actual comicbooks.

Marked up as another Titan nearly completely ruined by the New 52.
    I have to say the New 52 is just killing the former history of the Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    "Your first issue received mixed reactions -- mostly positive --"

Really? I remember those "mixed reactions" being mostly negative. Am I misremembering?

If you look at the reviews on Comic Book Roundup, the majority of the reviews are above 5 on the 10 point scale.