Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CarolStrick View Post
    They just don't get it. I'm not talking just the Finches here. Donna is the Girl Next Door, the DCU's Best Friend to Have. Of course, that's the DCU and not the nuDC. And WW is the very symbol of positive human empowerment, not like... What this creature being published under her name is.

Wonder Woman (and Donna Troy) died in 2010.

And hey, CBR: Donna Troy's first appearance was Wonder Woman #123, July, 1961, which makes her a Kanigher/Andru/Esposito creation.
    As did Wally West.

I can't speak to execution but I think reintroducing Donna Troy as a "villain" is a great way to rebuild the character. Do not get up in arms about the term "villain." Donna is a blank slate clay creature created by a villain. She is at the whim of her makers. It seems like she will be Wonder Woman's Winter Soldier. When she finally finds her "heart" she will feel the weight of her transgressions and want to atone. That can be very compelling.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I do agree that the New 52 has royally screwed over the original Teen Titans so I think this is the Finchs' attempt to make lemonade out of lemons for Donna. DC already has Cassie in place as this era's Wonder Girl(yuck!) and I doubt they're willing to retcon another Titan so quickly like they did with Kid Flash/Bart Allen.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    I can't speak to execution but I think reintroducing Donna Troy as a "villain" is a great way to rebuild the character. Do not get up in arms about the term "villain." Donna is a blank slate clay creature created by a villain. She is at the whim of her makers. It seems like she will be Wonder Woman's Winter Soldier. When she finally finds her "heart" she will feel the weight of her transgressions and want to atone. That can be very compelling.

I don't think they should have used the term "villain" to describe her based on what else they said about her. She sounds more like an old school Amazon extremist, merely set on continuing the old Amazon ideals. While Diana doesn't agree with those ideals, that doesn't make Donna a villain along the lines of Luthor, Joker, or Cheetah just yet.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Keep your hair on people, she's obviously not going to stay the villain. Wonder Woman will inspire her or something.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Didn't Wally die in 2011, Cmbmool?

Astonishing Member

I don't get why some characters had to be so changed in the nu52. In some ways, DC Comics now feel like Marvel's Ultimate line -- which is fine as long as you can still read about the characters you love. The new versions of Wally and Donna can't be as endearing -- because they are brand new characters who only have a minute connection to the originals. I guess this is why I'm only read Multiversity.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Keep your hair on people, she's obviously not going to stay the villain. Wonder Woman will inspire her or something.
    The problem is in their presentation. The point of interviews should be to get people excited and want to read their stories. When they take a character that is most known for her character traits of being the heart of a team, the compassionate hero and all they talk about is her being the villain, the opposite of Wonder Woman and heartless...there's not a lot of reason for people to get excited about a character they cared about to want to pick up the book.

I found the first two issues to be less barely average in story and all over the place in art (especially in the first issue.) Wonder Woman is my favorite comics character second to none and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my doubt grows more with every issue and just took a major leap with both of these interviews. Meredith said she only read what David worked on or what looked cool in his comp boxes (which didn't DC discontinue that some time back) so it seems like it's very possible she hasn't read much to none of Wonder Woman and absolutely nothing of Donna Troy (yes she said she researched her various origins...but you can do that in one-stop-shop Wikipedia these days.) I had hopes of them doing at least an interesting run on the title, even thought that them sticking around post Convergence would be potentially good. Now Im hoping they are done with the annual in April. Hopefully we will get an Editor who has some kind of interest in Wonder Woman as well. Idelson certainly doesn't seem to have much.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolStrick View Post
    They just don't get it. I'm not talking just the Finches here. Donna is the Girl Next Door, the DCU's Best Friend to Have. Of course, that's the DCU and not the nuDC. And WW is the very symbol of positive human empowerment, not like... What this creature being published under her name is.

Wonder Woman (and Donna Troy) died in 2010.

And hey, CBR: Donna Troy's first appearance was Wonder Woman #123, July, 1961, which makes her a Kanigher/Andru/Esposito creation.
    I so totally agree. The thing that made Donna who she was is gone. She was the girl next door with super powers. She was the best friend that everyone wanted. She was the modern day Amazon that represented men's world to the amazons. She had the bigest heart and always gave hope, but she could also do some real butt kicking.

I understand that the new creative team didn't want to bring back an exact duplicate of what Donna was pre-52, but bringing back a souless, magical copy, who is just doing what her maker wants her to do is so far from what Donna was and should be.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that in the end Donna will become a hero, but I'm extremely worried that she will become Diana's most powerful foe instead of her loving sister.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I do agree that the New 52 has royally screwed over the original Teen Titans so I think this is the Finchs' attempt to make lemonade out of lemons for Donna. DC already has Cassie in place as this era's Wonder Girl(yuck!) and I doubt they're willing to retcon another Titan so quickly like they did with Kid Flash/Bart Allen.
    It's not just the Titans...it's anyone pre Flashpoint that could have fit into Team Legacy. Outside of the Batman family...there isn't really anything in the "5 Years since Superman first appeared" for any legacy characters to be built. Hell they are reintroducing the Infinity Inc (the kids of the JSA) slowly in the Earth 2 books...but they of course are the same ages as the characters that would form the JSA team if DC allowed a JSA team to form on Earth 2.

Astonishing Member

In the Newsarma, interview, Meredith says

You are going to learn more about her, her impact on the Amazons we see today, as well as why Derinoe ultimately chose her to create Donna in the Wonder Woman Annual, out this April.
    Maybe we'll finally get some background on what--or who--fueled the Amazons' isolationism and antipathy towards men over the years. I always thought it should be revealed that some divinity manipulated them into hanging on to their old ways (and maybe developing them in the first place, although survival in a brutally misogynistic ancient world would have been enough to explain that part.) Hecate seems to me to be one of the best candidates to have been the manipulator.

Also, it's interesting that Derinoe was somehow in the position to "choose" Hecate, rather than the other way around. Did Derinoe have something to bring to the table? The interview mentions that Donna was made from clay; I'm again thinking that she might have been made from Hippolyta's clay statue, which Derinoe could have recovered from the sands where it was swallowed up in Secret Origins.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 01-15-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Wow, are people seriously expecting the villain thing to last?

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    Donna as a villain is annoying but hopefully this ends with Diana showing Donna the truth and gaining an ally (like she did with her villains back in the old days)
    This was a major theme in Azz's run, in fact, it is one of the reasons I like it so much.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    In the Newsarma, interview, Meredith says

Maybe we'll finally get some background on what--or who--fueled the Amazons' isolationism and antipathy towards men over the years. I always thought it should be revealed that some divinity manipulated them into hanging on to their old ways (and maybe developing them in the first place, although survival in a brutally misogynistic ancient world would have been enough to explain that part.) Hecate seems to me to be one of the best candidates to have been the manipulator.

Also, it's interesting that Derinoe was somehow in the position to "choose" Hecate, rather than the other way around. Did Derinoe have something to bring to the table? The interview mentions that Donna was made from clay; I'm again thinking that she might have been made from Hippolyta's clay statue, which Derinoe could have recovered from the sands where it was swallowed up in Secret Origins.
    Where in the interview does it say that Donna was made from clay. I read it twice and didn't see that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    Wow, are people seriously expecting the villain thing to last?
    No...not really.