Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Was Hippy conscious at the end of Azz's arc while still turned to stone? If so, she was still stone, that is a fact at the end of Azz's run. An unfinished story arc unless he planned to leave Hippy as a conscious stone.
    He may have. As it was, she was still stone, but otherwise alive and kicking.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Oh. I didn't realize that 50-something was a passing grade, so to speak.

Comics aren't a college course. 5 is halfway between Excellent(10) and horrible(1) which equates to midway/average.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Comics aren't a college course. 5 is halfway between Excellent(10) and horrible(1) which equates to midway/average.
    A five is below average in the sense that most of the reviews on the roundup give ratings above 5. And if you read the actual words of the reviews, many that give ratings above 5 are very negative.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MTroy View Post
    This bothers me also. As some one else stated earlier. The clay origin wasn't good enough for Diana, so lets give it to Donna. At least when Diana was made of clay it was a happy thing. She was given life because Hippolyta wanted a child so badly, so the gods granted her wish. But this new origin for "Donna" is so dark. We see a dead amazon on the ground bleeding to death, we see a baby sacrifice to a crazy witch, and since that is not dark enough lets add that the clay we will use is the clay of the body of the dead Hippolyta. Add all these ingredients and what do you get a soulless, robot like creation that will follow the orders of her creator. Oh and her creator hates Diana. WOW this might be a great story, but I think I've read it quite some time ago in an old Wonder Woman comic. A creation that was made from clay that was Wonder Woman's equal but her opposite. wasn't that the story of Devastation.

Like I said this might be a great story, and they can call this new character Donna Troy, but if they want to change everything about the character that many fans loved why not just create a new Character? Let the old beloved characters stay in limbo until a writer comes along that actually wants to use the qualities of that character.
    Agree with everything here, very spot on the problem of this new origin

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    A five is below average in the sense that most of the reviews on the roundup give ratings above 5. And if you read the actual words of the reviews, many that give ratings above 5 are very negative.

That's because most reviewers only review books that they like. Once a reviewer stops enjoying a book they typically stop reviewing it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

That's because most reviewers only review books that they like. Once a reviewer stops enjoying a book they typically stop reviewing it.
    Yet very few reviewers actually rated the first 2 Finch runs well ... the majority of the reviews I read panned the writing and had variations on the theme "if the art wasn't so dynamic this would suck" ... I don't really 100% agree that the book is really bad, but I wouldn't go so far as to try and claim that it had generally positive reviews, and let's be honest here, the interviewer was clearly trying to spare Meredith by glossing over the reviews. Saying a 5 rating is good is like saying a 2.5 star hotel is good. You have to look at what else was reviewed in the timeframe too, and there were only like 2 books that got lower average ratings than WW, and the ratings from the previous run declined sharply, showing us a clear preference between creative teams.

Astonishing Member

5 is still a below-average rating among the books that have been reviewed.

Also, sites like Newsarama, CBR, etc. often keep reviewing books whether their reviewers enjoy those books or not. And when it comes to the first or second issue of a run, reviewers don't know whether they'll like it or not when they read it for the purpose of reviewing.

And I think you'll find that most of the reviews that give ratings from 5 to 7 or so make predominately negative comments about those books. It's true that comics aren't students in school, but in general, it does seem that reviewers tend towards the kind of scale that American schools typically use; anything below 7 (70%) or so is roughly the equivalent of a D or an F. I can understand the logic that would make a 5 middle-of-the-road, but, let's face it--grade inflation can show up anywhere, and not just in actual classrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius
    let's be honest here, the interviewer was clearly trying to spare Meredith by glossing over the reviews.
    Agreed--and I probably would have done more or less the same thing. They weren't, on the whole, good reviews, but I can relate to the reviewer not wanting to be mean about it.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 01-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.

5 is still a below-average rating among the books that have been reviewed.

Also, sites like Newsarama, CBR, etc. often keep reviewing books whether their reviewers enjoy those books or not. And when it comes to the first or second issue of a run, reviewers don't know whether they'll like it or not when they read it for the purpose of reviewing.

And I think you'll find that most of the reviews that give ratings from 5 to 7 or so make predominately negative comments about those books. It's true that comics aren't students in school, but in general, it does seem that reviewers tend towards the kind of scale that American schools typically use; anything below 7 (70%) or so is roughly the equivalent of a D or an F. I can understand the logic that would make a 5 middle-of-the-road, but, let's face it--grade inflation can show up anywhere, and not just in actual classrooms.

Agreed--and I probably would have done more or less the same thing. They weren't, on the whole, good reviews, but I can relate to the reviewer not wanting to be mean about it.
    Agreed ... I don't really put a ton of credence into reviews to begin with, I rarely read one before I've already read an issue and made my own opinions ... but if I see something getting less than 7/10 I immediately think it got poor reviews.

Well I think it is great that Donna Troy is a villain.

> Wonder Woman lacks a mirror villain
    > she looks villainous in the preview image
    > I like how she is being set up as representing old Amazon values (the man-killin', baby tradin' kind)

Already I'd give this issue a 10/10
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well I think it is great that Donna Troy is a villain.

> Wonder Woman lacks a mirror villain
    > she looks villainous in the preview image
    > I like how she is being set up as representing old Amazon values (the man-killin', baby tradin' kind)

Already I'd give this issue a 10/10
    I wonder why you think Diana lacks a 'mirror villain' since she already had atleast 3 in the guises of Ares, Circe and Cheetah?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I wonder why you think Diana lacks a 'mirror villain' since she already had atleast 3 in the guises of Ares, Circe and Cheetah?

As much as I love Cheetah and like the other two, none of them fall into the same category as Black Adam, Sinestro, or the Reverse Flash who all basically have the same exact abilities of their primary enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Agreed ... I don't really put a ton of credence into reviews to begin with, I rarely read one before I've already read an issue and made my own opinions ... but if I see something getting less than 7/10 I immediately think it got poor reviews.

So you think a "7" is average? What is a "5"? A "3"? A "1"?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Not really, I'm thinking more of 'Flash=Zoom,' 'Superman=Bizarro,' 'Batman=Prometheus, bunch of other stuff.'
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

So you think a "7" is average? What is a "5"? A "3"? A "1"?
    Depends on the reviewer, but I'll guess that most would reserve a 1 or 2 for something that they find really offensively bad, whereas a 5 or 6 would be something they disliked somewhat but considered more or less marginal. That would leave 3 and 4 for something that's seriously bad but not offensive. Really, I think reading the review gives us a much better sense of the reviewer's opinion than just looking at the numbers--and, numbers aside, most of the reviews I read for the Finches' first two issues were pretty negative.

Depends on the reviewer, but I'll guess that most would reserve a 1 or 2 for something that they find really offensively bad, whereas a 5 or 6 would be something they disliked somewhat but considered more or less marginal. That would leave 3 and 4 for something that's seriously bad but not offensive.
    Count me as another who thinks of it as a grading system. Just like in a grade, a 10-60 is essentially, 'this is absolutely terrible and not worth your time' (Grade F). 60-70 is 'pretty bad, wouldn't recommend' (D), etc.