Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've thought about something like this for a while - A few books have come close to the idea; All Star, Widening Gyre, Robin: Year One and parts of Morrison's run, particularity Time and the Batman. however I'd love to see it go further with more classic iconography and very knowing reinventions. I suppose it's first raison d'etre would be to explore the eras of the original Boy Wonders in their prime; so perhaps a 12 issues mini for Dick Grayson, then 12 issues for Jason and 12 issues for Time, each featuring villains, themes and creative sensibilities form their native periods, i.e the "pop crime" 50's & 60's, pulp opera mid 80's and mega-blockbuster 90's. But this time all Batjerk, grimdark and ultra violence dialed up to 100. Last time I mused on this I called it "Dick Sprang and Neal Adams kicked in the nuts by Frank Miller". Dark Batusi!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you read a lot of Silver Age comic books?

Were you alive back in the Silver Age and reading comic books then?

NOTE: I was.
    Not sure how this is relevant to anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    For a bit?
    He's referring to the comic based on the cartoon from a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you read a lot of Silver Age comic books?

Were you alive back in the Silver Age and reading comic books then?

NOTE: I was.
    Not sure how this is relevant to anything.
    I was curious if he was a reader during that time period who remembers the good and the dreck that was actually published back then, or if he only has a vague idea of what "the Silver Age" is to him from more selective tpb readings or something.

Extraordinary Member

I absolutely, positively do not want an in continuity Silver Age Batman series. I do, however, want a massive omnibus featuring all of Dick Sprang's Batman issues. And the only reason that's at the top of my wish list over a massive omnibus featuring all of Norm Breyfogle's stories us because I already own all of those.

Spectacular Member

Just make Batman 66 it's own universe in the multiverse, with all those DC tv era heroes a part of it. Still waiting for my Lois and Clark/Young Justice digital/bumper physical comics.

All those war comics DC has been throwing out and they could have just done a classic JSA WW2 era series. It's like they can't see it slapping them in their faces shouting at them to just do it. I don't know...maybe they are? Maybe Convergence is ultimately about setting up multiple DCU AGES lines. Clearly the current main universes only have certain big sellers. Trim the low-selling, simply have multiple ages of the DCU with only the best-selling of each. Could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    . . . All those war comics DC has been throwing out and they could have just done a classic JSA WW2 era series. It's like they can't see it slapping them in their faces shouting at them to just do it. I don't know...maybe they are?
    I would LOVE a WWII-era JSA series.

Problem is, too many of today's current fans probably think of that era as "ancient history" and could care less about anything that takes place before the 21st Century (unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    Maybe Convergence is ultimately about setting up multiple DCU AGES lines. Clearly the current main universes only have certain big sellers. Trim the low-selling, simply have multiple ages of the DCU with only the best-selling of each. Could work.
    Convergence is merely filling a two-month gap while the business offices relocate across country.

You could do like I do and pretend Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 are in continuity and everything else is not.
    It's a shame DC is down to two titles. ;-)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

I think Morrison's run came closest in the sense that he was the first writer in ages to ACKNOWLEDGE the Silver Age. And insofar as Batman Inc is still in canon, at least a tiny sliver of silver (!) is still part of the New 52.

I'd really love something like a DCU 'Ages' line. More than that, I'd love some kind of LOTDK-like series set in different eras of Batman's past, which would be sorta in-continuity (to the extent that the original LOTDK was). So, for instance, we could have a story with Batman and Robin (Dick Grayson), which would be part of New 52 canon (costumes and all) but could have a certain Silver Age sensibility to it.

Neal Adams' Batman Odyssey must be everything you want for a modern silver age story. However as far as I know it wasn't in continuity.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually interested in what someone said earlier about Grayson and Batgirl currently being Silver Age-like titles. Wonder what they meant by that?

Its also worth noting exactly what is meant by 'Silver Age Batman'? Is it based on a perception of Batman in the 60's TV show? Or is it based on a perception of Batman in the comics of the time? Also, what do you count as 'Silver Age' where Batman is concerned anyway? Is it the 'New Look' retool of 1964, which the TV show was based on? Or do you count the Batman of the 50's as Silver Age? Because, while both eras were light-hearted, they had their differences. In the 50's, Batman and Robin were on all sorts of weird sci-fi adventures and other assorted silliness. In the 60's, there were into relatively more grounded (but still campy) stories, fighting members of the rogues' gallery (which the TV show was based on).

So what do you think of when you think 'Silver Age'?

Is it this-

batman-20080327040146988-000.jpg

Or this-

555916309.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm actually interested in what someone said earlier about Grayson and Batgirl currently being Silver Age-like titles. Wonder what they meant by that?
    It meant they have no idea what they're talking about . . . Silver Age Batgirl was older and waaaaaaaaaay more mature, and Silver Age Robin was a high school student. (Not really getting either of those vibes these days.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

Its also worth noting exactly what is meant by 'Silver Age Batman'? Is it based on a perception of Batman in the 60's TV show? Or is it based on a perception of Batman in the comics of the time? Also, what do you count as 'Silver Age' where Batman is concerned anyway? Is it the 'New Look' retool of 1964, which the TV show was based on? Or do you count the Batman of the 50's as Silver Age? Because, while both eras were light-hearted, they had their differences. In the 50's, Batman and Robin were on all sorts of weird sci-fi adventures and other assorted silliness. In the 60's, there were into relatively more grounded (but still campy) stories, fighting members of the rogues' gallery (which the TV show was based on).

So what do you think of when you think 'Silver Age'?
    Both for me. Two versions of a Batman Silver Age.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”