Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Image Comics Introduces "Image Direct" Mail-Order Subscription Service

"Saga," "The Walking Dead" and more can now be delivered right to your mailbox, directly from Image. CBR has the first details of the new program.

Full article here.

All-New Member

For a direct subscription those prices are HORRIBLE.

Still not as good as DCBService which is 40% off at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fakemccoy View Post
    For a direct subscription those prices are HORRIBLE.
    It's better than the usual 20% discount at comic shops. Keep in mind that they don't have the same volume or advertising as regular magazines.

All-New Member

I just checked out their service you only get the 30 percent discount for 4 titles in shopping cart and they are charging full retail for the 12 issues so no initial discount not even a shop discount they are charging full retail as if you were getting from a shop than discounting but than the crappy 30 percent discount is washed away when you see the shipping charges literally a dollar an issue meaning if you got 4 titles 12 each is 48 seperate magazines you are getting charged plus 48 for shipping which washes any discount away, horrible subscription service its cheaper going to store you actually pay more with subscription about 3.59 an issue when you average it

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Also consider half the books will put out 6 issues and then a 2 month gap.. this has bad news written all over it, and will slop most likely within 6-8 months.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

All-New Member

Image is doing subscriptions wrongs they are doing subscriptions as if they were a shop but not even like with mid town a retailer is discounting the comics cheaper than them and there subscription ship charges are about the same, image is going to fail doing subscriptions both Dc and Marvel include ship charges in their subscriptions prices not add them on later defeats the purpose of subscription if the shipping charges wash away discount and I am literally paying more than if i went down the street.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Perhaps Image is charging more because they are shipping the comics in better boxes? I have heard the Marvel and DC direct subscription comics are folded in half, then sent in the mail.

All-New Member

If it weren't for my LCS, I never would've heard of any of the Image titles or any other good reads, for that matter. My LCS gives me a 20% discount, plus incredible service and selection. I totally understand the allure of DCBS, but I'd be lost without the recommendations of my LCS. So I can't justify getting titles straight from Image, no matter what the discount. Maybe my loyalty costs me some money, but I'd rather give it to a small, locally owned business.

My big issue with subscriptions is that I'd have to wait who knows how long until they get to me. Sure, I don't always get to the store on Wednesday, but that's in my control. With a subscription, it's not.

But you know what would probably turn me into a subscriber overnight? A print + digital subscription model, where the digital copy automatically appears in your account (or is automatically available for download or whatever) on the day the comic's released, then you get the print copy whenever it comes in the mail a week or so later. I don't usually mind reading digital instead of print (though I like having the print copy of stuff I really like), but I do mind waiting a couple of weeks to read the final issue in an arc that's been building up for six months...

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Whats the point of this?

It can't be to save readers money. You only get a discount if you subscribe to more than one book and you have to subscribe to ten to get a 30% discount. But the cheapest shipping option is a dollar per book, so even if you go for the $35 discount you still pay $3.59 for a $3.99 issue.

And if it's an attempt to get people physical copies when they don't have a LCS maybe they shouldn't have stuck to the Lower 48, since anyone who is applicable for this service can also shop at DCBS for a better discount.

This might have made sense if it was targeted at international readers with fewer options but as it is I can't imagine why anyone would pay for an entire year of issues at once (with creator owned books having much less reliable schedules than Big Two books) plus the higher shipping costs you'd need to avoid getting damaged books that don't take forever to get to you.
    Miller was right.

All-New Member

I get marvel subscriptions and dc and I will tell you pro's and cons, Marvel pros are great selections, discounts to up to 45 percent and no extra shipping charges and as well their mailers ship with a better backing board than dc not as flimsy I have never received them folded in half its says on mailer don't fold, cons their titles ship slow, I usually get my titles up to 3 to 4 weeks after its been released in stores but because bulk mail is slow. Dc pros are you get like 25 to 30 percent off retail and usually you will receive titles within a week of release in stores, cons **** backboard in mailer very flimsy and since they have a clear mailer people can see the cover, more likely to get stolen in transit unlike marvel that uses the back board to cover the cover to prevent people from getting sticky finger in transit. I dont have the luxury of going to a comic book store in my area, I get most of my marvel titles from subscription and as well as my DC titles, stuff that is not on subscription or image or top cow and zenescope related I get from midtowncomics.com great selection, great discounts and great ship rates and you cant beat their customer service.
    Last edited by NJMANGA; 01-15-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: adding more

BANNED

This makes me glad that I'm a digital-only reader! And maybe that's what Image is trying to force here?

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    This makes me glad that I'm a digital-only reader! And maybe that's what Image is trying to force here?
    Who knows? But considering the biggest push against digital comes from retailers I can't imagine this will help matters much.
    Miller was right.

All-New Member

Im old school I like the feel of comics and graphics novels in my hand, I read kindle books but I will usually buy the hard copy after reading a digital version with comics its hard to like the digital only option, even webtoons are being printed in hard cover for fans who dont want a web only option. I always think this what happens when the power goes out or the server crashes than you cant read your favorite comic or book, its always good to have a physical copy, dont get me wrong I would love more digital only readers but thats because I want my physical copies to go up in value because of low print runs lol
    Last edited by NJMANGA; 01-15-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: adding more