Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Even if this got introduced in the UK I wouldn't do it. Practically live in the middle of nowhere and would have to get a bus each week into the city centre to go to my local LCS which isn't feasible most weeks. There are many very well established comic sellers on Ebay who will sell comics with a nice discount on their RRP and great packaging. Sure I don't get my comics on the day, but 3/4 days after release is fine by me.

BANNED

I don't understand how is this any different to what DC comics and Marvel comics did before and mail the issues out to the subscribers ?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I don't understand how is this any different to what DC comics and Marvel comics did before and mail the issues out to the subscribers ?
    That's what it's trying to be. The difference is Image's pricing is atrocious. You can still get most Marvel and DC books through subscription and you get 30-40% off with no minimums or additional shipping fees.

With Image you need to get 10 titles to get the 30% off. And even then you have to pay $1 per book for shipping. Meaning a $2.99 book, minus 30% ($2.09) plus a dollar will be $3.09. so IF you get 10 books you have the luxury of spending 10 extra cents a comic. Less than 10 books and the initial discount is significantly less. If you only get 2 books that $2.99 comic will cost you $3.69.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fakemccoy View Post
    That's what it's trying to be. The difference is Image's pricing is atrocious. You can still get most Marvel and DC books through subscription and you get 30-40% off with no minimums or additional shipping fees.

With Image you need to get 10 titles to get the 30% off. And even then you have to pay $1 per book for shipping. Meaning a $2.99 book, minus 30% ($2.09) plus a dollar will be $3.09. so IF you get 10 books you have the luxury of spending 10 extra cents a comic. Less than 10 books and the initial discount is significantly less. If you only get 2 books that $2.99 comic will cost you $3.69.
    Okay I think I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I'd love it if I could just subscribe to the trades of my favorite books. This on the other hand seems like a poor substitute for existing preorder services like Midtown and DCBS.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Initial sub price for 1 issue is same price as digital and and still cheaper than the taxes and shipping my LCS and other shops I support charge. Even when I factor in transportation costs to get to the LCS this is still cheaper. I am in for the one comic but will continue to purchase from other outlets.

I really liked Midtown, but they force you to subscribe to 10 comics at the full cover price in order to keep a subscription service going every month. Once you factor in the increased postage etc., it's the same price. If you buy online a week before and get the 15% discount, the postage will still make this equal to Image's subscription cost. DBCS also does not carry the one Image title I subscribed to. *That said, props to folks who mentioned DBCS, if I want individual issues or trades of other series, I will definitely look into them first now.

Now that is for one issue and I understand why people think this is not economical: the postage costs beyond the economy ship are absolutely atrocious. I know the U.S. postal service have spiked prices considerably but what Image are asking is just plain greedy.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 01-18-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Perhaps Image is charging more because they are shipping the comics in better boxes? I have heard the Marvel and DC direct subscription comics are folded in half, then sent in the mail.
    They haven't done that in forty years.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.