Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Descender #1

One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet. A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham.
    Extra-sized first issue. 30 story pages for only $2.99!

Full preview here.

Amazing Member

That is just OMfG beautiful artwork.

Dear Image,

You want I should just sign my paychecks over to you all directly, or should I keep going to the comic shop and hand them over there?

Seriously, all the new Image titles coming up that I'm interested in are going to just kill my comics budget.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

wow, this looks incredible

Wow, that art is GREAT. And the lettering is very impressive and really improves the artwork. I think Lemire is kind of overrated but my interest in this just went significantly up.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Looks great. Really looking forward to checking this one out.

All-New Member

This looks INCREDIBLE! Between Dustin's art (which I love... sad to see Batman Lil' Gotham go away, but this looks incredible so I'll "suffer") and Jeff's writing (I wasn't a fan of Chew but Animal Man was top notch in my opinion) this has a lot of great things going for it. And while this is more a sic-fi than horror story (it seems), this was the creepiest preview I've read in a while.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by micharwood View Post
    This looks INCREDIBLE! Between Dustin's art (which I love... sad to see Batman Lil' Gotham go away, but this looks incredible so I'll "suffer") and Jeff's writing (I wasn't a fan of Chew but Animal Man was top notch in my opinion) this has a lot of great things going for it. And while this is more a sic-fi than horror story (it seems), this was the creepiest preview I've read in a while.
    Actually Jeff Lemire didn't write Chew, that was John Layman. Same initials though so I understand getting them confused. Also, seek out The Underwater Welder if you want t osee how great Lemire can be (to me he's a little uneven but can be amazing).

Another great Image title to check out! Great to see Dustin Nguyen jump on the creator-owned bandwagon. He's too creative to be just another cog in Establishment's wheel. Everything I've read of Jeff Lemire has been thought-provoking to me.

Dang this looks good! Though I like Nguyen's watercolours on Lil' Gotham even better, but that's probably because it's more colourful. Agreed that Lemire can be wonky at times, Trillium was so uneven at times. Just weird instances where the script didn't match the visuals; there's a bit in issue #1 where the dude character complains about the tough jungle undergrowth that's hard to move through - but there's no undergrowth drawn? Makes even less sense 'cause both script and art were Lemire's there. Nitpicky I guess. Anyway Descender looks good so far, considering picking this up.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This looks amazing. Lemire is one of the best writers in the industry (especially creater-owned work), and Nguyen is a perfect choice for this book. I predict heart string will be tugged. Can't wait!
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 01-16-2015 at 08:53 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Dang this looks good! Though I like Nguyen's watercolours on Lil' Gotham even better, but that's probably because it's more colourful. Agreed that Lemire can be wonky at times, Trillium was so uneven at times. Just weird instances where the script didn't match the visuals; there's a bit in issue #1 where the dude character complains about the tough jungle undergrowth that's hard to move through - but there's no undergrowth drawn? Makes even less sense 'cause both script and art were Lemire's there. Nitpicky I guess. Anyway Descender looks good so far, considering picking this up.
    Yeah, I loved Underwater Welder so much that I bought Trillium the day it came out as a trade. I read and literally sold it on Amazon the same day. I get that people love it because it did cool things with panel layout, but it just didn't hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny. I kept expecting them to get to some explanations for the weirdness, instead, they just introduced more weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    Yeah, I loved Underwater Welder so much that I bought Trillium the day it came out as a trade. I read and literally sold it on Amazon the same day. I get that people love it because it did cool things with panel layout, but it just didn't hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny. I kept expecting them to get to some explanations for the weirdness, instead, they just introduced more weirdness.
    Have you read his Essex County?
    BB

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    Actually Jeff Lemire didn't write Chew, that was John Layman. Same initials though so I understand getting them confused. Also, seek out The Underwater Welder if you want t osee how great Lemire can be (to me he's a little uneven but can be amazing).
    Egads... My face is red. You are correct. I guess once you hit 40, the memory really does go. Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Have you read his Essex County?
    I read the first volume and liked it a lot, but I have not yet gotten around to the rest. I rank the lemire books I have read as follows

1. Underwater Welder
    2. Essex County
    3. Sweet Tooth
    4. Trillium