Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would Peter Parker having children age the character?

Would it? I think some times that compared to other men(heroes) in the marvel universe, Spidey is known the most as the most unprepared for fatherhood due to being known as the man child of the group. BIut I notice that Wade Wilson has a kid and despite is wonton immaturity is a good father to his daughter when they are together. So spidey should have no problems raising a kid, but only if he changes in a big way and pretty much stops being the spiderman we all know and love in general.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by Heasensy32; 01-16-2015 at 06:35 AM.

BANNED

It's quite an issue, and mostly an untested one

While 2008's Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man caught a short-lived glimpse of what functioning as Spidey while his kid was an infant was like, we know canonically that MC2 Peter became a bit of a grouch in his later years, probably not helped by his leg injury and the constant reminder being Spider-Man cost him something, sometimes his attitudes towards Mayday's activities led to some arrogant decisions (like dressing up as vigilante Wild Card and confronting her purely as a scare tactic).

I imagine Renew Your Vows will answer the question of what being Spider-Man means long past a child being in the stages of infancy, which Mayday was still in when Peter retired.

Well, sort of yeah. Since many heroes from the very start of their respective series were full-grown adults, Peter Parker on the other hand was a teenager when he started out, he was basically a high-school student trying to live a normal life and date girls while also fighting crime. The growth story was interesting but even today in most interpretations of the characters, Peter is often just seen as a young-adult at best. Especially considering Marvel Now which sort of makes him appear even younger in my eyes. However, considering how long the character has gone, him having a child perhaps wouldn`t be a bad idea. He could be one of those young adult fathers, however personally I think that he should keep himself still as sort of a man-child like he always was, being very witty from his mouth and never taking anything too seriously.

However personally, I have always viewed as one of the younger superheroes so seeing him as a father, personally would be odd.

If Spider-Man was in his own universe without 616s flowing time line he probably would've had children a long time ago and gotten quite a bit older. The problem is if Peter gets kids now and then they age to about 7 or 8, you gotta age up everyone else in the universe to accommodate. Now for some characters this isn't a problem like Black Widow, the Asgardians, Inhumans and Captain America cause they all have some immortality/prolonged youth thing going on.

But guys like Tony, T'challa, Reed and basically everyone who doesn't would have to be aged up those six or seven years otherwise it would be a big WTF when Tony Stark looks 35 when Peters kids are born and then seven or eight years later hes still 35.

BANNED

The problem is that Peter would be a pretty good dad...if he gave up being Spider-Man. Maybe not right away, but he'd probably start heading in that direction. He'd want to be there for his child and in the process sacrifice time swinging around the city.

Not to mention that babies suck in comics. They do nothing. They're there to be imperiled so the parents can worry and eventually come to the rescue. With a sliding timescale, that would get old fast. You just look like a bad parent after a while. I'm looking at you, Reed Richards.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 01-16-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Spectacular Member

Even "Man-Child's" can grow up and face responsibility (Adam Sandler's 'Big Daddy' is an example of this). But I do not think that is what Marvel wants for Peter Parker. Everything points in the Direction of 'Renew Your Vows' to becoming the "End Game" for Pete & MJ ( the 'How I Met Your Mother' Epilogue ending that I mentioned months ago is very possible ( along with Otto ending up with Anna Maria,and Norman getting his)). After that 'Amazing' picks up right after to 'Learning To Crawl' and Pete is back in High School.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    The problem is that Peter would be a pretty good dad...if he gave up being Spider-Man. Maybe not right away, but he'd probably start heading in that direction. He'd want to be there for his child and in the process sacrifice time swinging around the city.

Not to mention that babies suck in comics. They do knowing. They're there to be imperiled so the parents can worry and eventually come to the rescue. With a sliding timescale, that would get old fast. You just look like a bad parent after a while. I'm looking at you, Reed Richards.
    so if you wrote peter parker having a child pre-may day teen years how would you write his run?

I don't think it would age Peter, or people overestimate how much it would.

Peter has aged regardless of not having a child. Clone saga was 5 years after Gwen's death so Peter was about 25 when he lost his baby daughter. Now he's 28, so she would be 3 years old by now if they kept her around. Note this happened despite them keeping him from beings a young adult daddy.

Also, he could still act just as young at heart as he is today. Look at Goku in Dragonball. Started as a child, became a father in first episode of DBZ, and became a grandpa at the end of series, yet stayed active and young at heart through it all.

Also note that Pete's college buddy Harry has been a father since the 80s now,and we dont think of Harry as any older than Peter.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-16-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Also note that Pete's college buddy Harry has been a father since the 80s now,and we dont think of Harry as any older than Peter.
    Does little Normie show up often? If not, that's probably why.

As to the OP, I do think it would age Peter but not by some substantial margin especially if the child is a baby/toddler.

I also don't think it would be that hard to right around and may actually give Marvel to tell some fresh stories. I mean if you can have a nurse that patch up heroes in the wee hours, lawyers that not only represent the interest of heroes and villains but may have a costumed identity all their own and a corporation that thrives on the havoc and reconstruction efforts after the latest superhuman escapade, why can't their be a special nursery/babysitter for the children of costumed heroes?

It's something that Marvel has been very reluctant to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Does little Normie show up often? If not, that's probably why.

As to the OP, I do think it would age Peter but not by some substantial margin especially if the child is a baby/toddler.

I also don't think it would be that hard to right around and may actually give Marvel to tell some fresh stories. I mean if you can have a nurse that patch up heroes in the wee hours, lawyers that not only represent the interest of heroes and villains but may have a costumed identity all their own and a corporation that thrives on the havoc and reconstruction efforts after the latest superhuman escapade, why can't their be a special nursery/babysitter for the children of costumed heroes?

It's something that Marvel has been very reluctant to explore.
    Normie has shown quite a bit at different periods. Compared to some villians he is much more prominent. They also continue to age and develope him slowly. Just look at the.end of superior.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-16-2015 at 08:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    so if you wrote peter parker having a child pre-may day teen years how would you write his run?
    I imagine he'd hire someone to wear the webs and stay on as their consultant, as well as supplying equipment through Parker Industries. Or use Living Brain's computing system inside a Spider-Man construct that can solve criminal problems. Of course at some point it'll turn on Peter, but I like to think that'd be towards the finale of the book.

I think Peter wouldn't make it to the birth as Spider-Man. Once the kid screams for the first time, he'd be done.

iMan 42s

I think Peter can work fine as a father. Personally I would drop the book should they back track to Peter in High school. We have seen that a dozen times now move on! Besides, doesn't Miles already fill that role? Wouldn't that also negate Kaine, Ben Reilly, Superior Spider-man ,etc..
    It would age Peter but not as much as people think it would. With the way time is now she could be an adult by the time renew your vows ends and then it is back to the Marvel universe. Time could be so strange right now that Ben comes back from the dead and handles being spider-man while Peter raises the kid. There are ways around raising the kid.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Pretty much.

One aspect is that as the kid grows, it'll be obvious how much older Peter has grown.

From a storytelling standpoint, it would be something that becomes a permanent part of the character, one of the aspects of the status quo that defines him.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I think Peter wouldn't make it to the birth as Spider-Man. Once the kid screams for the first time, he'd be done.
    I think he'd try to quit, but somethiing would always pull him back into being Spider-Man. He can't live his life and ignore crime when he has the power to stop it.

I don't think it would be any less responsible than say, Batman constantly recruiting kids to work with him, for Spidey to continue on after having a child. Cuz... comic books.

Depends on the age of the child really. If the kid is a teenager or young adult than yes, if the kid is a toddler or baby than not really. Lots of people in the 18-21 range have kids nowadays. Considering Peter is no longer in high school or college in the 616 books, and owns a business I don't think having a kid would make him look any less youthful than he already does. If Marvel wants a younger hipper Peter Parker they need to just reboot and leave him perpetually a student at Midtown.