Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    The question really depends on the state of Peter's supporting cast, considering it will reflect his age by who he is around. Like in the JMS run Peter seemed really old because he taught in highschool, and hung out with either MJ or Aunt May. But then whenever he was around the Avengers would seem like the youngest superhero because of how he acted.

Having a kid would age him, but not anymore so then him running his own company.
    Very much agree. Peter could easily be the parent of a baby, while working an entry level job at a research company, married to MJ who runs a not so successful bar. They're barely getting by. Pete has to choose between diapers, formula or rent, let alone food for himself. Aunt May could be the emergency babysitter. Now he only vists her when he needs her to watch the kid, which strains the relationship. You know, real problems like it used to be. A natural progression. It wouldn't age him anymore then he is now. Keep his daughter as a baby for the next 20 years. He and everyone around him can keep referring to him as a young parent. Done. What's so hard? He can still be young, have realistic problems and tell great stories at the same time. Works better then after OMD when his first panel was making out with a random chick at a club and saying he was too young to get married. We already knew better. There can still be sexual tension with others after he's married. Your junk doesn't fall off. Stuff happens. It's life. It's drama. No deals with demons needed...

Quote Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
    Very much agree. Peter could easily be the parent of a baby, while working an entry level job at a research company, married to MJ who runs a not so successful bar. They're barely getting by. Pete has to choose between diapers, formula or rent, let alone food for himself. Aunt May could be the emergency babysitter. Now he only vists her when he needs her to watch the kid, which strains the relationship. You know, real problems like it used to be. A natural progression. It wouldn't age him anymore then he is now. Keep his daughter as a baby for the next 20 years. He and everyone around him can keep referring to him as a young parent. Done. What's so hard? He can still be young, have realistic problems and tell great stories at the same time. Works better then after OMD when his first panel was making out with a random chick at a club and saying he was too young to get married. We already knew better. There can still be sexual tension with others after he's married. Your junk doesn't fall off. Stuff happens. It's life. It's drama. No deals with demons needed...

100% agree!

Thank you!

BANNED

Sorry that's stupid about the entry level job. He's not going back to the grunt work, it's regression at the worst. He's saved the world and made strides in scientific research with particles he's discovered plus more than once lead the other Spider-Totems to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Sorry that's stupid about the entry level job. He's not going back to the grunt work, it's regression at the worst. He's saved the world and made strides in scientific research with particles he's discovered plus more than once lead the other Spider-Totems to help him out.
    Well he's also unmarried and childless. I meant instead of killing baby May and going through OMD, they could have progressed his story more naturally. From photographer to entry level scientist would have been a step up. His Supervisor could be an ass and take all of the credit while Petes brilliance goes unnoticed. Parker luck, no Mephisto needed.
    Last edited by David_99; 01-18-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

What might have been ideal was for Peter to have started his relationship with either Liz Allan or Julia Carpenter, of whom are single mothers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    plus more than once lead the other Spider-Totems to help him out.
    He has'nt led jack or accomplished jack in Spider-Verse. He's not even the most important character in his own book, the Weaver is. Hell the most important Peter of the bunch, the Scion's father, is DEAD.

BANNED

Well he's also unmarried and childless. I meant instead of killing baby May and going through OMD, they could have progressed his story more naturally. From photographer to entry level scientist would have been a step up. His Supervisor could be an ass and take all of the credit while Petes brilliance goes unnoticed. Parker luck, no Mephisto needed.
    Then I'd rather he'd not get engaged or stumped to a woman which would have not made him achieve all these accomplishments he's made so far. Plus he's no longer a patsy grunt who works under people better than him and never progresses as his own leader.

Astonishing Member

Yep,thats something that would age the character.

The moment Peter doesn't have to go to school is the moment he's not young anymore. Everything that he does outside of school ages him, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    The moment Peter doesn't have to go to school is the moment he's not young anymore. Everything that he does outside of school ages him, everything.

The status quo of Peter Parker is to age. He has done it since the very first issue. To suddenly stop aging him is going against the grain of the character set forth from the beginning. I would say it is much of the appeal of follwing his character is that you get to watch him grow. When it is reversed or stalled, fans start to complain.

From Stan Lee on he has not stopped aging. Even OMD did not stop him from aging. It's the nature of sequential story telling, where one comic affects the next and past events are referenced and inform future events.

Even in school, we saw him progress through different grades, girlfriends, dances, seasons, etc.... It's not just after school, it's from the beginning. If they want to prolong Spider-Man they can slow and stall his aging, but he will never truly stop, and when/if they reboot, the cycle will start over.

I would prefer they make the cycle last as long as possible and cover as much of his life as possible. That would make for the grandest/most epic story possible, to follow Peter throughout his whole life. Whenever Marvel even whispers or thinks of a reboot for the character, they should first look at the next stage of Peter's life instead.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-19-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Spectacular Member

I would prefer to see a street-level Spider-Man but that is not the way of Dan Slott ( see the Silver Surfer and his love of Doctor Who). This belief goes straight to why you will not see him as a 30 something Father. He cannot be off saving the World and taking care of MJ and Baby Mayday. He could deal with the Kingpin's, Kraven's, Rhino's and even Goblins of New York, and still do that. But when it comes to Ultron, Galactus, Kang and Scrulls that is something very different. I think the biggest clues are the Teenage Mayday and the fact they end up in a place called Regency, not New York. If I saw her in NY and as a Newborn or Infant, you could say this is the 2015-2016 Peter Parker. But as a teenager, I see this as more like the 2030 version of Pete and family. Basically the End Game before the a Reboot. The one good thing is it would be canon and OMD/BND would be History ( I wish 'Sins Past') would join it in the "Asheap Of History.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    I would prefer to see a street-level Spider-Man but that is not the way of Dan Slott ( see the Silver Surfer and his love of Doctor Who). This belief goes straight to why you will not see him as a 30 something Father. He cannot be off saving the World and taking care of MJ and Baby Mayday. He could deal with the Kingpin's, Kraven's, Rhino's and even Goblins of New York, and still do that. But when it comes to Ultron, Galactus, Kang and Scrulls that is something very different.
    Why not? Going off to save the world is equivalent of a business trip. Many times a parent will be required to travel often in their job. I know people don't risk their life on business trips, but this is superhero comics. I don't see why MJ wouldn't be able to have Aunt May, Aunt Anna, or a close friend help her with May if Peter is away for something.

I think the biggest clues are the Teenage Mayday and the fact they end up in a place called Regency, not New York. If I saw her in NY and as a Newborn or Infant, you could say this is the 2015-2016 Peter Parker. But as a teenager, I see this as more like the 2030 version of Pete and family. Basically the End Game before the a Reboot. The one good thing is it would be canon and OMD/BND would be History ( I wish 'Sins Past') would join it in the "Asheap Of History.
    I'll have to rub my eyes and look again. Their daughter certainly does not look like a teenager in RYV's teaser. Maybe a couple years older than she should be present day if we are talking 616 clone saga May, but not THAT much older.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-19-2015 at 08:36 PM.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

It could be quite an interesting storyline. Even if Peter tried to renounce being Spiderman for his child, it would be extremely hard for him to do so. Imagine if he turns on the TV and there's the Hobgoblin throwing bombs on Times Square, or if he's walking down the street and Venom swings over head (and it's not Flash). Every time one of these villains did something bad, especially if they killed someone, Peter would feel the same guilt he felt when Uncle Ben died. This tension between the two great responsibilities of raising a child and fighting crime could create alot of good tension if done well.

Personally, I don't mind if Peter is aged a few years. To be honest, I would rather enjoy seeing him having to deal with a child roughly the same age as the girl on the front of Renew Your Vows as she could have a fleshed out personality and wouldn't just be some screaming, helpless baby. Can you imagine Peter getting an earful from her because he missed her ballet practice while he was out fighting Doc Ock? Or if he was racing against the clock to put down a riot at Ravencroft while getting to her birthday on time? Of course, things would have to be switched up but in the hands of a good writer, I think it could it could be an amazing next step in the Spiderman story. I for one would love to see Peter have to deal with a child with a similar personality to the girl in OMD (though less snotty and mean-spirited) who doesn't take any crap and sees through everything. Since Peter wouldn't register her as a threat and detect her on his spider sense, it's entirely possible that she could walk in on him changing into his costume. The possibilities for stories are limitless.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Honestly anything ages a character, and actually that's a good thing. Character's need to grow and change, or else they become Tom and Jerry shorts where nothing ever changes and it's the same old cat and mouse chase. Sure some of the antics can be funny, but over all it's the same plot, which is why characters grow and age. Having a child would age him but that's not a bad thing at all. There are tons of younger heroes that can easily take over for where Peter is right now in the single life, making him a parent would make him unique and one can easily use baby May or Benjy as a good balancing point. Heck there's only a handful of parents in the Marvel U, and those are really limited as they are.

People keep mentioning Reed but forgetting Scott Lang. As a father he did a lot better then Reed did given that Stature actually grew up being an over all decent and heroic character. Look at his actions during the Future group and how he took care of the kids there. We never look at Scott as an old man, and yes there was a lot there in regard to taking care of his daughter and being Ant man. That's going to be something that's going to be looked at in the new movie. It's something that makes Scott Unique and special and it also shows that you can do the balancing act (as long as your ex wife isn't a bit of a jerk about things).

Then there's another costume hero that I can point to that would easily fit what Peter would probably be like if he had a kid. Tiger from the series Tiger and Bunny. Wild Tiger is a single father who works as a hero in Stinebolt city. He has to balance the fact that he's dealing with a daughter that's a preteen who's recently discovered her powers, working with a new and younger partner, and also trying to come to grips that his powers are fading slowly away. Yet despite these factors he still comes off as really young, you would never guess that he's in his early fourties, or that he's also a widower. He's optimistic a lot of the time, trying his best. If anyone is like Peter in the department of "Life gives me a lot and I have to be responsible" it's Tiger from this show.

Peter could easily be a parent, you just have to realize what sort of drama can come with this, or comedic elements as well. For example, something dramatic could be the fact that peter has to deal with the fact that the baby has powers like he does. How dose he and, for this let's say MJ, find a way to deal with the baby crawling on walls or possibly reacting to danger like peter does with the spider sense. Could the child be a target, sure, at the same time she, or he, could also be a good thing for him, something that could remind him of why he has to be responsible about his powers, etc. Comedic stuff could be anything from him using, I don't know, a diaper bag as a weapon for a surprise attack, to something where the Avengers wind up involved in something and having a moment of Hulk going 'Don't hurt Hulk's baby." as just one funny thing in a short story. It all depends on how you use the child. Other dramatic things could happen as the kid ages. What's it like being the child of Spiderman? Dose she (or he) feel that they should follow in their dad's footsteps? Or what about if they don't have powers, are they jealous? Not to mention how do you keep that a secreat if people are mocking your family. Not an easy thing for either parent or child to deal with.

Let's also not forget that having a kid doesn't mean that the hero can't be heroic:

Scott Lang had his Cassie, Darkwing Duck (Disney owns marvel and he's a hero) has his Gosalyn, Black Lighting had two daughters, Bruce Wayne has Damian as well as raising Dick, Jason and partly Tim and Steph, Superman had Chris for a while, Wanda and Visions two sons Tommy and Billy, there are probably more where that came from. This is do able, as long as the writer has a good idea it's actually useful, and if you need some time away from family, have the kid go stay with May and JJJ sr. for a while. They do it all the time in Soaps, why not use the tatics in comics...Oh and I almost forgot Roy (Red Arrow) and his late daughter. I mean, come on, time to let the characters grow some marvel, or are they afraid of not being able to invent new ones?

eh. if it's tells a good story, it tells a good story. a kid is neither good or bad for a superhero to have.

general question for those who want peter to age- at what rate would you like to see this? would it be a consistent one comic year for each of ours? or 1/3 rate? or would it be defined chapters (spider man in his 20s, then 30s, then 40s etc). would you be prepared to have his story end for good?