• Kieron Gillen

12 10.00%
  • Simon Spurrier

2 1.67%
  • Other

18 15.00%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Easily Ewing. I feel he's been Marvel's best writer over the past year or so, and I'd like him to have a higher profile. (Just not so high that he leaves 2000AD.)

Spurrier would be interesting, though.

Joe Casey seems invested in creator-owned work and Captain Victory at the moment, but I wouldn't mind him returning to Marvel and writing Avengers, which was always his favorite book.

I love that Ewing is the clear leader in this poll... too bad I doubt he'll be getting the main book after Hickman. He's my choice, with Slott, Gage (both not in the poll), Waid, David and Robinson as my other top choices. They all know how to write great stories, and actually develop the characters at the same time, all while referencing the continuity of the greater MU too.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I love that Ewing is the clear leader in this poll... too bad I doubt he'll be getting the main book after Hickman. He's my choice, with Slott, Gage (both not in the poll), Waid, David and Robinson as my other top choices. They all know how to write great stories, and actually develop the characters at the same time, all while referencing the continuity of the greater MU too.
    I know Ewing is a great writer and a popular guy but I really wasn't expecting him to run away with the poll. As much as I would like to see him get it I think it'll end up with Aaron, Remender or Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    With Robinson though, and this is what I love about him, he uses history to make new history. To me, him and Waid are the best at building new stories with the old as a foundation. When he brings back concepts, they're ones that little have been done with or are now forgotten. He uses history as a tool instead of a crutch, like a lot of writers tend to do.
    These writers are my favourite kinds of writers, in pretty much any medium.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I voted James Robinson, but Al Ewing would likewise be a good choice by me. However, whom ever gets the gig (or has gotten it as I am sure they already have that set in stone) my wish would be to see the book go back to basics...but then of course I would like to see the Marvel U go back where heroes were heroes and not constantly fighting each other. I want to see some good ol' bad guy trouncing.

The one writer I would NOT want taking the series is Remender. He doesn't seem to be able to write a story in-universe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I voted James Robinson, but Al Ewing would likewise be a good choice by me. However, whom ever gets the gig (or has gotten it as I am sure they already have that set in stone) my wish would be to see the book go back to basics...but then of course I would like to see the Marvel U go back where heroes were heroes and not constantly fighting each other. I want to see some good ol' bad guy trouncing.

The one writer I would NOT want taking the series is Remender. He doesn't seem to be able to write a story in-universe at all.
    Yeah, for me he's one of those writers who are better on the side. Uncanny X-Force was great because he had quite a lot of room to tell the stories he wanted, away from the main X-Books.

I agree on the "back to basics" approach. I wouldn't mind if they had a rotating crew of writers. EG. Waid does an arc, then Ewing does an arc, then Robinson does an arc ... a kind of "best of" for Marvel's writers.

Although Mighty Avengers is kind of that "back to basics" series, isn't it?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Rob Liefeld

No i vote for Robinson since i like what he have done with the invaders and FF

wouldnt mind Busiek of Slott too.

well in fact anyone but Bendis or Remender

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I think Jason Aaron or Greg Pak would be good. Aaron because I loved what he did with the X-Men when he was given a team book and Pak because I think he can write good characters and action stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I'd probably like Aaron myself.

Perhaps not the most consistent writer but when he's on form he's amazing. I really like the fact he often uses lesser used characters or creates his own (Orb, Doctor Midas, Gorr etc) and we already know he writes a great Thor.

He's a big enough name and he's paid his dues.
    That's kind of an important point, and it's why I'm guessing Aaron will do it. I like Ewing's writing, but I'm not sure one can claim he's "paid his dues" at Marvel yet. He's only been at Marvel for a couple years, and none of his books have been either top-sellers or top critical books. Compare that with Brian Bendis, who'd been at Marvel for a few years, who had a high-selling book with Ultimate Spider-Man, and who had a critically acclaimed book with Alias.

Soule and Robinson are in much the same boat. Neither have been at Marvel long enough to be likely candidates to take over the Avengers.

I would guess that Aaron, Spencer and maybe Remender as the top three most likely choices.

Does anyone have a list of the writers who attended the Writers Retreat? That could actually help narrow things down. I would imagine the book would have been assigned to someone then.

A lot of good writers to choose from. I was torn between Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing, voted for Kieron, I think he would be able to follow up on the big concept ideas from Hickman's run better. Was shocked to see how much Al is leading by, wow. I really like his writing, I read both Loki and Mighty Avengers and love both, but was not expecting that.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Soule, Gillen, Hopeless, Wilson or David.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    A lot of good writers to choose from. I was torn between Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing, voted for Kieron, I think he would be able to follow up on the big concept ideas from Hickman's run better. Was shocked to see how much Al is leading by, wow. I really like his writing, I read both Loki and Mighty Avengers and love both, but was not expecting that.
    Do you think Kieran really wants it? He's going to have three creator-owned books going monthly this summer, and The Wicked and The Divine is something of a sales hit for a book of its type. No reason to think that Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl wouldn't be, too. I'm not sure that Kieran needs Marvel so much now as Marvel would like to keep Kieran. He's not one of those guys whose career aspiration was to write corporate superhero comics forever.

I don't think that's gonna be a problem... as far as I know during this run Hickman also has at least three creator-owned books (East of West, Manhattan Project, God is Dead).

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I voted for Ewing, but would not be surprised to see a architect group of Nick Spencer, Ewing, and Remender, writing the satelite books, and Aaron and possibly Robinson leading the charge on the core Avenger books.