Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Empty, #1

Tanoor lives in an empty apocalyptic world of poison and decay. Her village is all that remains of humanity as they struggle against mutant beasts and rotting bones.But Tanoor finds a chance to save her people when a stranger drifts into town. A stranger armed with the power to grow life from death. A stranger who could change the world-if Tanoor can keep them alive in the deadly world of The Empty.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Hey what's up CBR readers? I'm Jimmie Robinson. Creator, writer, artist, colorist, letterer for THE EMPTY, which comes out Feb. 11th from Shadowline Comics / Image Comics.
    If you have a question about the series feel free to ask me.

Somehow, this flew under my radar until now. It sounds really cool though. I really love the lettering. I'll happily check this out.

All-New Member

Thank you. Yes, I was a bit concerned about the lettering. I know it's not completely new or original to *free float* text in comics, but I wanted to do it for the entire run. It creates a few challenges in my art -- I have to make sure there's another empty space for lettering, and that it still flows between characters. Also, it affects the coloring, because I can't make it so dark to be unreadable. Thank you again for considering my work.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Somehow, this flew under my radar until now. It sounds really cool though. I really love the lettering. I'll happily check this out.
    Yeah. I'll give it a go. How many issues are you planning?

All-New Member

Thank you! At this point The Empty is a 6 issue story arc. I know some folks might trade-wait for that, and I fully understand that. I have the story plotted out beyond six issues, but I need to see where this goes before taking the next step -- which would be like Saga, where I take a small break between story arcs.

Thanks for the reply. I'm way to impatient to trade-wait. Single issues all the way.

All-New Member

Another sample of the art and lettering style... TE_02_20_WORKER.jpg

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack80 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm way to impatient to trade-wait. Single issues all the way.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. Helping the singles is the best way to help the trades. That way everyone wins. But I understand fully about singles and I hope The Empty keeps you wanting to come back for me. I didn't decompress or drag things out for this story arc. My job is to grab people's attention as best I can with every issue. Love cliffhangers.

All-New Member

Examples of the cover design...
    Also, for the record... I am 3 issues ahead of shipping, so the book will NOT be late.

TE_HEAD.jpg

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie_Robinson View Post
    Examples of the cover design...
    Also, for the record... I am 3 issues ahead of shipping, so the book will NOT be late.

TE_HEAD.jpg
    Love the subtle use of colors on those covers. They remind me of the East of West covers in the best possible way. I'll be excited to give this a shot.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    Love the subtle use of colors on those covers. They remind me of the East of West covers in the best possible way. I'll be excited to give this a shot.
    Thanks, Agent John. Yeah, I took a chance with the covers. Even Image thought it was a good idea to leave the front cover as open as possible and put all the legal information on the back cover.

Jimmie, you're a mad man. You're going to be doing this AND Five Weapons? (And I'm sure you have some more goodies for us)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Jimmie, you're a mad man. You're going to be doing this AND Five Weapons? (And I'm sure you have some more goodies for us)
    Actually, I am only doing The Empty. Five Weapons was cancelled due to low sales. It was a mere 300 copies from the cancel cut off point, so it ceased publication at issue #10 (though I had it written out to #20). So I'm only doing this now. I LOVED Five Weapons, but it didn't get enough traction to keep it alive. At a certain point, I would have to *pay* to keep it in print (which, I was about to do), however the opportunity to do The Empty came up, so I put my energy into this. This time I am doing *everything* on the book, thus I won't have to split the profits which will help keep the book alive for all six issues (and hopefully MORE).

All-New Member

Here's an early version of one of the main characters... (Tanoor)
    TE_TANOOR_WORKER.jpg