Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Is Phil Jimenez Involved In The New 52 Debut of Donna Troy?

Phil Jimenez posted this on Facebook yesterday:

Wrapped my first piece for the nu52 earlier today; it's pretty solid. Strange that it's been years since I've worked for DC proper, tho!

Over the last few years when asked why he wasn't working on a New 52 title, Phil said there was little about the New 52 that interested him. I'm wondering if Didio or someone else that's high up at DC decided to lure him back with penciling the New 52 debut of Donna Troy in Superman/Wonder Woman? Perhaps when the "Doomed" storyline is over, a new arc will start that reintroduces Donna, which is drawn by Phil?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While that would be more than just pretty cool (downright awesomefantasticamazing might come close) I would say it is more likely an origin piece for the new Secret Origins book. But that could just be my New 52 pessimism speaking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Phil Jimenez posted this on Facebook yesterday:

Wrapped my first piece for the nu52 earlier today; it's pretty solid. Strange that it's been years since I've worked for DC proper, tho!

Over the last few years when asked why he wasn't working on a New 52 title, Phil said there was little about the New 52 that interested him. I'm wondering if Didio or someone else that's high up at DC decided to lure him back with penciling the New 52 debut of Donna Troy in Superman/Wonder Woman? Perhaps when the "Doomed" storyline is over, a new arc will start that reintroduces Donna, which is drawn by Phil?
    Your keyboard to God's ears. Why don't you go to Twitter and pump Phil for information? He may provide us with more hints.

BANNED

They probably changed things, WW needs a jump and Donna can help. Ocober and December has 5 wednesday, there's a chance for a WW annual

Hasn't Jimenez gone on record saying he hates the new 52?

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Well, IDK about that, but he has done work for the New52 before, apparently he's done some art on the Young Romance special so I can see him working more in the New 52.

He's not a big fan of Wonder Woman's direction, but I'm sure its not unheard of for a talent to work on a company owned character of whom things were being done that was not their own personal preference.

With that said he could be working on something completely removed from the WW line for all we know.

BANNED

Probably just a cover.

Phil got in touch with me late last night and told me that he is not doing a "book" for DC. That leads me to believe it's one of a few options:

1.) A Secret Origins segment.
    2.) A cover.
    3.) A pin-up for a celebratory issue of a comic.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post

I've never seen Phil say he hates the New 52 just that he has yet to find much of anything in it inspiring for him.

I think that all the post-Crisis tinkering with Donna's origin, as with Hawkman's, has made it difficult to bring her back, today.

The po-Cri Titans of Myth thing, from New Teen Titans, that made Donna the protégé of 'space gods' never felt organically 'Wonder Woman' to me, but felt more like Marv Wolfman showing off. Had John Byrne been allowed to junk the clunky Titans of Myth nonsense, I think he could have given Donna a nice, neatly unfolding linear origin. The editors should go back to basics with Donna - Wonder Woman saves infant girl from disaster and adopts her. I suggested this, last year in a thread, called "Easy Donna Troy origin?".

"Queen Hippolyta and the Amazons recovered an infant girl from a shipwreck, on the rocky shores of Paradise. As Hippolyta and Diana both adored her, this sole survivor of the time-lost 'Donna Troy', they welcomed the child into the Royal House and into their hearts. Named for the doomed ship that brought her to their island, young Donna was schooled in all the mysteries of the Amazons...

Until, not long after her thirteenth birthday, she mysteriously disappeared, during some great cataclysmic event on Paradise Island."

Back to basics, please.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-15-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think that all the post-Crisis tinkering with Donna's origin, like Hawkman's, has ruined her chances of being brought back, today. The editors should go back to basics with Donna - Wonder Woman saves infant girl from disaster and adopts her. I suggested this, last year in a thread, called "Easy Donna Troy origin?".

"Queen Hippolyta and the Amazons recovered an infant girl from a shipwreck, on the rocky shores of Paradise. As Hippolyta and Diana both adored her, this sole survivor of the time-lost 'Donna Troy', they welcomed the child into the Royal House and into their hearts. Named for the doomed ship that brought her to their island, young Donna was schooled in all the mysteries of the Amazons...

Until, not long after her thirteenth birthday, she mysteriously disappeared, during some great cataclysmic event on Paradise Island."

Back to basics, please.

If that were her origin, how would she get powers that rivaled Diana's?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    If that were her origin, how would she get powers that rivaled Diana's?
    Why can't she get her wonder-powers, the same way she did, pre-Crisis? Zap her with a purple ray or some arcane mystical ceremony! Something simple, like Byrne's 'magic mirror' story.

I understand that it may be commonplace in the gaming world, ..but, I just don't think Donna needs a 'Lord Of The Rings' length epic to explain her existence, Doctor. I don't understand why Donna's origin can't be told in one or two pages, ..instead of some preposterous six-issue miniseries! The idea that a longer story makes a better story just doesn't hold any water with me.

Anybody remember Cross-Gen? Most of us don't.

It's almost, as if people don't know how to write superhero origins anymore.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Personally, I'd always preferred the Silver/Bronze Age origin...rescued by Diana/adopted/purple ray stuff.... If you had to clomp in the Titans of Myth, I liked the idea of some larger destiny-- whereas the Titans of Myth plucked the infant Donna from the fire just before Diana rescues her-- They give her powers, train her, etc. Time moves differently on New Cronus than Earth, so they can return her to Earth at the exact moment she was to be rescued by Diana so that Donna can learn from the Amazons humanity and love, and help with her latent powers as they bloom ... I guess it's still messy, but all that Byrne/mirror crap...so bad, so very bad...

I do like your idea of the rescued child from a shipwreck... It certainly cleans things up and is more in line with her original story (to get rid of "Who Is.." makes me sad, but it's a new day...lol) the "cataclysmic event" you mention-- what would that be?

I think the real issue is that DC wanted the Nu-niverse to be so new and fresh-- so they reverted everyone back to 20-25 years old? There's no room for Donna, really, at that point. Which was part of the problem with the Post Crisis universe-- Donna and Diana were almost the same age.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Personally, I'd always preferred the Silver/Bronze Age origin...rescued by Diana/adopted/purple ray stuff.... If you had to clomp in the Titans of Myth, I liked the idea of some larger destiny-- whereas the Titans of Myth plucked the infant Donna from the fire just before Diana rescues her-- They give her powers, train her, etc. Time moves differently on New Cronus than Earth, so they can return her to Earth at the exact moment she was to be rescued by Diana so that Donna can learn from the Amazons humanity and love, and help with her latent powers as they bloom ... I guess it's still messy, but all that Byrne/mirror crap...so bad, so very bad...

I do like your idea of the rescued child from a shipwreck... It certainly cleans things up and is more in line with her original story (to get rid of "Who Is.." makes me sad, but it's a new day...lol)...
    Thank you, W-39.

The few New Teen Titans fans that I have corresponded with do not like what the Nu52 has done to NTT continuity/history. Under Nu52, it seems that Cyborg, Donna, Kid Flash and Nightwing were never Titans, and that the title's impact on the quality of DC Comics, overall - not to mention our memories of the NTT cast - means nothing to this publisher. We have been completely disrespected, here.

I agree with you that, if we must suffer the Titans of Myth junk (at ALL), their role in Donna's origin could be dramatically reduced, allowing her to grow up on the island, with the Amazons.

As for the hypothetical cataclysmic event in my suggestion, it's nothing more than a proposal explanation for how she becomes separated from the Amazons and their island.