Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Cool great magic stories

I've been reading quite some magic-centered series from Dc lately and was looking for some other nice stories. So far I have the Phantom Stranger Showcase Presents, everything Spectre worth having, Books of Magic and Hellblazer. I was considering Dr Fate by Giffen/DeMatteis and Madame Xanadu. Any other good stuff?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman...also Zatanna had her own solo series for a while.

you pretty much nailed it though.

I mean you got 300+ issues of Hellblazer to go through.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Justice League Dark and Wonder Woman...also Zatanna had her own solo series for a while.

you pretty much nailed it though.

I mean you got 300+ issues of Hellblazer to go through.
    Is Justice League Dark good? Ive read WW by Azzarello and, being a huge Greek mythology fan, loved it.

I'm currently at #10 of Hellblazer, still a very long way to go.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I really liked the new 52 JLD.

Also, people say that Demon Knights is quite good, but i haven't read it.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I liked Demon Knights alot. You could also look for the Shadowpact series.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Of the books you've listed and haven't purchased yet, Madame Xanadu is far and away the best book.

Swamp Thing during Crisis on Infinite Earths was really good. As was the annual around that time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing isn't all magic, but I think a lot of the magic books these days owe a huge debt to it. That's where Hellblazer came from and opened the door for Sandman.

Also worth noting is Promethea which is basically half superhero comic and half Alan Moore giving a lecture on "Magick". Personally I really enjoyed the superhero stuff and found the Magick stuff a bit boring - but a lot of people love it.

BANNED

-Sandman (should be a must have for any comic-fan in my opinion )
    -Shadowpact (much like Demon Knights, slipped by most people)
    -If you are into events, Day of Judgement, Day of Vengeance and Reign in Hell should be your thing (though RiH is a mess if you start to think about it).
    -JLD
    -Batwoman (but keep it to the first New 52 creative team)
    -I, Vampire
    -Phantom Stranger (surprisingly solid once Didio left it).

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is Justice League Dark good?
    Not really. Good concept, terrible execution. I read up to around #18 and had to quit afterwards: characters are thin/bland, good plots but terrible execution, Constantine is an unlikeable character and the authors clearly favor him above everyone else who are neutered or written to be lesser than him as he is basically the main character of the book.

I have no idea how the book is doing now but I definitely don't like the first half of it.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

JSA had a lot of excellent magic based villains and storylines.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Alisa Kwitney's Phantom Stranger oneshot is really good. Zatanna's Search that stretched title to title to introduce her, which has a nice slender collection. Vietch's The Question mini is a wonderful comic about magic, greed, jealousy, hope, the sun and the earth, and Lois Lane. The Zatanna mini from Seven Soldiers is more blatantly a discourse on magick and an adventure story, but all of Seven Soldiers is pretty thick on magic, spooks and spirits and faeries and things.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Is Justice League Dark good? Ive read WW by Azzarello and, being a huge Greek mythology fan, loved it.
    JLD, for me, was fantastic under Milligan. Creepy, sweet, weird, silly, scary, and some great character moments.

It fell apart for me within a few pages of Milligan's replacement.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 03-03-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

SHAZAM! By Geoff Johns & Gary Frank.

Last edited by Güicho; 03-03-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not really. Good concept, terrible execution. I read up to around #18 and had to quit afterwards: characters are thin/bland, good plots but terrible execution, Constantine is an unlikeable character and the authors clearly favor him above everyone else who are neutered or written to be lesser than him as he is basically the main character of the book.

I have no idea how the book is doing now but I definitely don't like the first half of it.
    I have to agree here. I really really tried to like this book but it just feels hollow most of the time. Like John Venus said it basically became a Constantine book with the rest of the team as supporting players. I liked the book a lot under Milligan and it was still pretty good under Lemire, but ever since DeMatties came on board with issues 24 the quality just kept falling until I dropped it with issue 32 (and I probably should have dropped it about 5 issues sooner to be honest)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have to agree here. I really really tried to like this book but it just feels hollow most of the time. Like John Venus said it basically became a Constantine book with the rest of the team as supporting players. I liked the book a lot under Milligan and it was still pretty good under Lemire, but ever since DeMatties came on board with issues 24 the quality just kept falling until I dropped it with issue 32 (and I probably should have dropped it about 5 issues sooner to be honest)
    Dang really. I was hoping this would pick up after vol 1.