Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    So Claremont re-used Jade for Jean Grey?
    As I understand it, Jade was a girl possessed by the "firebird" entity. Only similarity with Jean is the bird motif.
    It's in New Avengers that they tried to make a link with Jean and/or the Phoenix by introducing Fongji, who isn't Jade. It only shows what most Marvel authors want to write stuff about the Phoenix but none can come-up with something even remotely as good as the original Phoenix Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    This was always a head scratcher to me. How did Feron's ancestor even know that the Phoenix Force existed? Maybe there's more to the story, especially since Feron's people are native to a parallel Earth?
    Excalibur was more or less happening in its own universe, ignoring everything else (even phone lines and post office obviously). Maybe that reflect how american think about england (or the reverse)

Anyway, it discard that it was stated several time that Jean was the first being contacted by the Phoenix. Whatever Jean was possessed (host) of the Phoenix or a copy created by it, the explanation was that it purpose was corrupted by the limitation of being incarnated into a mortal. It found itself traped and forgot who/what it was and thought it was only Jean Grey. If it wasn't the first time that the Phoenix took a mortal host, it should have know what to expect and should have avoided doing the same mistake again. But authors just want to use the Phoenix concept as they see it and don't care about consistency or what was writen previously.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Excalibur was more or less happening in its own universe, ignoring everything else (even phone lines and post office obviously). Maybe that reflect how american think about england (or the reverse)

Anyway, it discard that it was stated several time that Jean was the first being contacted by the Phoenix. Whatever Jean was possessed (host) of the Phoenix or a copy created by it, the explanation was that it purpose was corrupted by the limitation of being incarnated into a mortal. It found itself trapped and forgot who/what it was and thought it was only Jean Grey. If it wasn't the first time that the Phoenix took a mortal host, it should have know what to expect and should have avoided doing the same mistake again. But authors just want to use the Phoenix concept as they see it and don't care about consistency or what was writen previously.
    I totally agree. If Jean wasn't the first mortal host of the PF, then it should have known the dangers of taking on a mortal form. If Jean wasn't the first human host, that point is only amplified. The writers really are crapping all over the epic telling of Jean Grey and the Dark Phoenix Saga with the Fongji/Iron Fist/whatever retcon.

At any rate, I am satisfied that the Firebird essence and the Phoenix Force are two separate phenomena. It will make writing a story about Bonita Juarez (aka, Firebird) that much easier.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    So Claremont re-used Jade for Jean Grey?
    It's not uncommon for concepts to get reused, albeit in a better more detailed and pertinent way. I think the concept of the Firebird as a being that exalts the better parts of humanity's nature, is a great concept. It's a great counterbalance to the Void. I also think that the Phoenix Force, at least as it was created initially, was a great concept. Fortunately, the Firebird entity hasn't been ruined by post-Claremont writers. I can't say the same for the Phoenix.