Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaws vs Jaws

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The only exception was a well-placed kick in the crotch, which served to slow Jaws down for a couple of seconds once. Outside of that, Jaws liked to do the horror-movie villain walk, just slowly and inexorably strolling towards his intended victim, and this gave Bond the time to get away a couple of times.
    Going to note something you might have forgotten - when Bond kicked him in the crotch, it came after he punched Jaws in the face. BOTH impacts made a 'clank' of metal (yes, the crotch one as well), and Jaws just slowly smiled after the second one.

Also, if I recall correctly, he has a feat of Bond taking his parachute away in mid-free-fall from a plane. He then crashes through the roof of a barn into hay. Seconds later he wanders out of the barn, irritably brushing the hay off his suit.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Going to note something you might have forgotten - when Bond kicked him in the crotch, it came after he punched Jaws in the face. BOTH impacts made a 'clank' of metal (yes, the crotch one as well), and Jaws just slowly smiled after the second one.

Also, if I recall correctly, he has a feat of Bond taking his parachute away in mid-free-fall from a plane. He then crashes through the roof of a barn into hay. Seconds later he wanders out of the barn, irritably brushing the hay off his suit.
    Ah, yes, that was the opening scene of Moonraker.

Jaws is ridiculous.

Incredible Member

I remembered the parachute scene, but I must not have seen the one where he bites a shark to death because I would think that would have stood out in my memory.

For what it's worth, here are the feats of the shark. Before the men go out to hunt it down the only thing it does that displays great strength is to rip a dock out of its moorings with hardly any effort at all by pulling on a baited hook and chain, but once the hunt begins it's game on. It takes four steel harpoons into its body- if memory serves three in the back and one in the throat/lower jaw area that could have conceivably penetrated into its mouth- as well as a few bullets here and there without any apparent ill effect. After begining to sustain these injuries it rams a large boat several times with its body, doing damage to the boat that threatens to sink it but apparently no major injury to itself. It also pulls the heavy boat backwards through the water for a minute or so by ropes that are attached to the harpoons imbedded in its body. It destroys a steel shark cage, mangling it to shreds with its body and mouth just prior to its death, showing that it is still at full strength despite all those injuries and the strain it's put on itself over two days of battle. Its final act is to sink the boat entirely by throwing itself on to the deck and just driving the boat down with its full weight, which should have taken quite a toll on its already beaten and impaled body, yet even after that it eats Quint even with the harpoon in its mouth that should have made eating quite painful, and then comes after the surviving police chief seemingly still at full strength until the chief manages to toss a scuba tank into its mouth and then shoot it, exploding the shark's front half into a million pieces and killing it, the only thing that deters it in any way throughout the movie. And as one final thing, the shark is bleeding into the ocean for many hours from all those wounds which should attract a plethora of other sharks to tear it to pieces, yet none appear just because Jaws is so badass that no other shark will mess with it.

The biting a shark to death comes at the end of 'The Spy Who Loves Me', when Bond uses the electromagnet to pick Jaws up and drop him in the shark tank (comes after the 'Clank' groin shot and Jaws bouncing bullets off his teeth).

Jaws the Shark has some really grotesque feats of his own, mind, as you note. Impressive stuff. This is going to be a fight. I just put the weight to the guy who has pretty much shrugged off everything and anything thrown at him, rather effortlessly.

He's like a bloody cartoon character in that way.

Ah, yes, that was the opening scene of Moonraker.

Jaws is ridiculous.
    The one thing the dude is lacking is speed, otherwise he'd be a pretty insane street-level contender hereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    So Bond Jaws suffers none of the effects of being underwater- no air, slower movement, etc?
    Correct. each is in his preferred environment, which doesn't exist for the other character.

Shark Jaws see's a man walking on the ocean floor yet inexplicably not floating, not slowed, not even having his hair sloshed about.

Bond Jaws see's what for all the world appears to be a flying shark.

REALLY not liking Jaws-The-Shark's chances, then.

I guess I change my vote based on the feats for Bond Jaws recounted here, since it's been many years since I've seen those old Bond movies and the memory fades. I didn't realize those movies incorporated such cartoon level action at times, in stories that were supposed to take place in the real world. If the guy was that strong it's inconceivable that Bond ever beat or survived him.

Btw I do have fond memories of Richard Kiel playing two different antagonists on "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" since I have the series on VHS. He played an immortal Native American sorceror and a moss-covered swamp creature.
    Actually, Bond never really beat him, just avoided him and managed to get away. He used tech to try to eliminate him by dumping him in the shark tank and that didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, humans get shot with military-grade rifles, fall into the water, escape under their own power, and recovery fully without medical aid all the time.
    Yes Craig Bond has a healing factor that is superhuman plus a survival factor.

ok so the flying shark dives in from above and bites the bond villian in half? what happens then

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    ok so the flying shark dives in from above and bites the bond villian in half? what happens then
    Flying shark breaks his teeth on the guy who fell out of a lear jet at cruising altitude and impacted the ground in an uncontrolled fall, and responded by all of dusting off his suit? Also, it's not like being a flying shark makes Jaws particularly fast. Jaws can cruise along significantly faster than an ordinary Great White averages, but that's still just going to be 15-18 kts (25-28kph) or so.

Incredible Member

Flying shark breaks his teeth on the guy who fell out of a lear jet at cruising altitude and impacted the ground in an uncontrolled fall, and responded by all of dusting off his suit?
    But he landed in a haystack!

I would add sneeky stealth to Shark Jaws' feats as it passed by Hoopers' shark cage and disappeared into the gloom, and then as Hooper looked forward trying to spot it again it somehow turned up behind him and rammed the cage. I also realized that in my previous list of feats I shamefully neglected to point out that every harpoon imbedded in the shark was attached to a bouyant wooden barrel that it had to drag around, designed to exhaust it, and though it managed to bite the rope and sever the first barrel it then took three more that it dragged around for the rest of the movie and was able to pull them underwater with locomotive-like strength.

But he landed in a haystack!

I would add sneeky stealth to Shark Jaws' feats as it passed by Hoopers' shark cage and disappeared into the gloom, and then as Hooper looked forward trying to spot it again it somehow turned up behind him and rammed the cage. I also realized that in my previous list of feats I shamefully neglected to point out that every harpoon imbedded in the shark was attached to a bouyant wooden barrel that it had to drag around, designed to exhaust it, and though it managed to bite the rope and sever the first barrel it then took three more that it dragged around for the rest of the movie and was able to pull them underwater with locomotive-like strength.
    Yeah, there was always some flimsy in story excuse for how he survived. For instance, he survived the fall without a parachute by angling and falling through a circus tent and landing in the net for the trapeze artists. But those are like any comic book character that does superhuman things even when the writers say it's not superhuman. There's no way the net could have saved him. He survived terminal velocity falls including one from orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also, his superhuman ability not to portray any kind of emotion on screen is pretty crazy. Guy blends in really well if you put him in a room full of antique chairs, just disappears into the background.

It's like magic.
    Imagine the exchange between Craig and Keanu Reeves.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Imagine the exchange between Craig and Keanu Reeves.
    Hey, hey!

Keanu Reeves is a million year old alien vampire who has forgotten how regular humans interact.

Daniel Craig is an ornate wooden statue of a man.

They couldn't be more different!