Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default When did Batman evolve into the modern master planner?

    Hello people..
    Couple of batman questions here..
    Question one.. We all know modern Batman as the master planner always one step ahead with a contingency plan in place for any event.. though batman was not always written this way,could anyone tell me what year did batman first change and start to be written as the master planner?

    My second question is thus..
    There are many comparisons that you can make between Marvel's Black Panther and DC's Batman especially as modern black panther is also written as a master planner..
    Both these character's started less so,so who started being written with the character trate of master planner first in modern comic's times?
    Modern Batman or Modern Black Panther?
    Last edited by Dr.Octagon; 01-17-2015 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Your killing your father Larry!

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default

    i don't think there's a specific issue number you can point to and say "this is where this change happened". it would happen on and off through the years, depending on the needs of the story being told. in recent years, it just has started to happen much more often.

  4. #4
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twiztor View Post
    i don't think there's a specific issue number you can point to and say "this is where this change happened". it would happen on and off through the years, depending on the needs of the story being told. in recent years, it just has started to happen much more often.
    Yeah but when did it first happen? And did it pre-date when it first started to happen concerning black panther?

  5. #5
    Mighty Member LifeIsILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    He started plan more in the 70s I assume. When Denny O'Neil started writing him.

    And Black Panther was a fairly invisible and forgettable character before Priest wrote his solo series in 98, and he made him like Batman with all the gadgets and everything....which was ridiculous but it worked and gained lots of readers.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,583

    Default

    Batman '66 and the "Bat-Get-Out-Of-Everything" capability. His Utility Belt was always a bit of a trick, but before Batman '66 obviously it was some combination of his manly brawn, wits and having some great gear in his belt getting him out of trouble.

    Once Batman '66 hit it was a whole other story, as Batman's Utility Belt had an "Answer for Everything" and therefore, Batman himself must have had an answer for everything. Since then it's grown steadily and progressively for years, although it was probably Morrison's JLA Batman thesis (Victory in the preparation, AKA Bat-God) that firmly cemented this as his sort of master strategist position. But it was a natural extrapolation of all the 1970s master of very martial arts directions.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Incredible Member the nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I think that the Bat-God era started around the Paul Dini 90s animated Era and Morrison era. Basically the 90s. I might be wrong but usually isn't that time period considered to be the Gold Standard for how Batman Should Be.

    Also. I think I'm the only one that doesn't even consider Batman and BLack Panther comparable. Sure they both have money and gadgets but their ideology are nothing alike. Black Panther will kill you. You screw with Wakanda and that's all she wrote. Just ask Namor in Avengers #40. If anything Black Panther is comparable to Aquaman. Both rulers of Kingdoms and prefer to play in their own sandbox until someone drags them out...i.e Justice League or the Avengers/Illuminati.

    Batman is more comparable to Daredevil. tragic childhood. War on Crime. Crazy villains. More women than they know what to do with. Both are total buzz kills.

    Just my two cents.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member resipsaloquitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Yeah, I'd pin it on Morrison's JLA run right at the outset. The whole JLA gets taken down by disguised Martians, with the exception of Batman. Crap like this tended to happen in pretty much every issue:


  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Nite-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,571

    Default

    it started in the 70s but now it has been amped up to a much more epic scope within the DCU
    Batman is prepared for pretty much everything and when he isn't he comes up with plans on the fly.

  10. #10
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Yeah, I'd pin it on Morrison's JLA run right at the outset. The whole JLA gets taken down by disguised Martians, with the exception of Batman. Crap like this tended to happen in pretty much every issue:

    Hmmm interesting.. thanks for the replies guys..

    So did morrissons JLA run pre-date Priests Black Panther run.. concerning the whole master strategist angle?

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Tupiaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Batman '66 and the "Bat-Get-Out-Of-Everything" capability. His Utility Belt was always a bit of a trick, but before Batman '66 obviously it was some combination of his manly brawn, wits and having some great gear in his belt getting him out of trouble.

    Once Batman '66 hit it was a whole other story, as Batman's Utility Belt had an "Answer for Everything" and therefore, Batman himself must have had an answer for everything. Since then it's grown steadily and progressively for years, although it was probably Morrison's JLA Batman thesis (Victory in the preparation, AKA Bat-God) that firmly cemented this as his sort of master strategist position. But it was a natural extrapolation of all the 1970s master of very martial arts directions.
    There is a difference between being a master planer and using the utility belt as a Deus Ex Machina

    Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I think that the Bat-God era started around the Paul Dini 90s animated Era and Morrison era. Basically the 90s. I might be wrong but usually isn't that time period considered to be the Gold Standard for how Batman Should Be.

    Also. I think I'm the only one that doesn't even consider Batman and BLack Panther comparable. Sure they both have money and gadgets but their ideology are nothing alike. Black Panther will kill you. You screw with Wakanda and that's all she wrote. Just ask Namor in Avengers #40. If anything Black Panther is comparable to Aquaman. Both rulers of Kingdoms and prefer to play in their own sandbox until someone drags them out...i.e Justice League or the Avengers/Illuminati.

    Batman is more comparable to Daredevil. tragic childhood. War on Crime. Crazy villains. More women than they know what to do with. Both are total buzz kills.

    Just my two cents.
    The thing is Matt's personal life is a really important part of Daredevil and his enemies has often been personal towards Matt and not Daredevil (Born Again is a great example). However Bruce Wayne is not that important for a Batman Story to work.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 01-18-2015 at 06:22 PM.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,416

    Default

    I'd say it started in 1960 when Batman became a member of the Justice League of America. They needed a reason as to why a regular human with an utility belt would be an asset to a team of gods. They had to play up Batman's strategic brilliance.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    it started in the 70s but now it has been amped up to a much more epic scope within the DCU
    Batman is prepared for pretty much everything and when he isn't he comes up with plans on the fly.
    If you're on the same team as the Flash, Green Lantern and Superman....that pretty much comes with the territory....

  14. #14
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    There is a difference between being a master planer and using the utility belt as a Deus Ex Machina



    The thing is Matt's personal life is a really important part of Daredevil and his enemies has often been personal towards Matt and not Daredevil (Born Again is a great example). However Bruce Wayne is not that important for a Batman Story to work.

    Hmm on further investigation it would seem the batman and black panther characters both moved up to the more extreme level of master strategist around the same time.. circa 1997-98 onward.. interesting!
    Last edited by Dr.Octagon; 01-19-2015 at 02:18 AM.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Tupiaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Octagon View Post
    Hmm on further investigation it would seem the batman and black panther characters both moved up to the more extreme level of master strategist around the same time.. circa 1997-98 onward.. interesting!
    Not according to this (I haven't read the old JLA issues, so I can't tell for sure).

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I'd say it started in 1960 when Batman became a member of the Justice League of America. They needed a reason as to why a regular human with an utility belt would be an asset to a team of gods. They had to play up Batman's strategic brilliance.
    However the master planner and Batgod as seen later on is to different things. Yes Batgod is a master planer but Batgod can easily be a master planner with out being a Batgod. Batgod is more less taking all Batman's abilities and take them into overdrive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •