Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    That's the reason why you could have characters as grandiose and powerful as Thanos. Because in the end these battles where about philosophical arguments.
    With abstract entities like death.

The CA scene from gauntlet is awesome because it is defiance against overwhelming odds. Thanos never treats CA as anything but a fly and that is what he is in that story. What he should be in a fight on that scale.

I think that's why Thanos needs opponents that operate in a larger scene. To not reduce him.

Which makes me think, that's exactly what Quesada did to Mary Jane. And I'd also argue that Brubaker, and I think Fraction did to Xavier And what Jason Aaron did to Thor and Odin. And the sad thing is, 90% of who Thanos was/had been developed was all Starlin up through Infinity Watch. And to be honest, that's really not that many issues to have to read through for background. So taking Thanos and making him just a mustachio twirling villain with cheesy dialogue who can be punked by the Bendis version of the GOTG is just lazy research. There plenty of other universal threats they could use.

All I can hope is there are a lot of future comics writers that were heavily invested in Game of Thrones and got upset over how piss poor the showrunners treated what had come before once they ran out of novels to adapt. Relegating characters to stereotypes, ignoring past developments, etc. Because that **** happens to comic readers all the time, and I don't think a lot of writers get that they do this. Maybe it'll at least create a few years of actual respect for the characters, but unfortunately I doubt it.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I think that's why Thanos needs opponents that operate in a larger scene. To not reduce him.
    This is the opposite of the problem Starlin's Thanos has.

He's gone out of his way to point out how Thanos is the greatest and most important being in the entire multiverse and nobody anywhere, no matter how high up on the cosmic scale they are can do what Thanos needs to do.

For somebody who claimed to have given up the quest for godhood (which he says basically every story Starlin has written for the guy since Infinity Gauntlet) he sure finds a lot of artifacts that makes him The Most Power Being In Existence!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

He's gone out of his way to point out how Thanos is the greatest and most important being in the entire multiverse and nobody anywhere, no matter how high up on the cosmic scale they are can do what Thanos needs to do.

For somebody who claimed to have given up the quest for godhood (which he says basically every story Starlin has written for the guy since Infinity Gauntlet) he sure finds a lot of artifacts that makes him The Most Power Being In Existence!
    And finds them almost immediately after someone else has established a new cosmic hierarchy. I'd bet money that if Starlin were allowed to return, he'd somehow have Thanos punk 'The One Below All' with some trinket Thanos just happened to have. While delivering some lecture about how Thanos is the real bad ass

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

I still take it over Hickman Thanos, Aaron Thanos and Bendis Thanos. Also Thanos never defeated a cosmic entity without the aid of some trinket, which isn't as bad as Cates King Thanos.

Thanos' character derailment Is not different from Aaron's version of Odin imho.

I will not stop repeating how i don't care for Modern Thanos.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Marvel needs to stop using Thanos period if there are no better alternatives.
    Never gonna happen. No other creator gets that kind of leeway and Starlin certainly won't. It sucks, but that's how work for hire is.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As long as I don't get crap like everything post-Secret Wars, I don't care who writes Thanos.
    "Cable was right!"