Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I think ultimately the problem is that Starlin wanted to evolve Thanos beyond being a villain... but from marvels perspective, he was one of the best villains in the MU and one of the few with legit credibility. They don't need another hero... they have plenty. But they really need good event level villains that readers buy as super credible threats. And apart from maybe Doom, Thanos is probably the biggest and baddest they have.

Had Starlin kept him a villain, there wouldn't be this inevitable back and forth.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think ultimately the problem is that Starlin wanted to evolve Thanos beyond being a villain... but from marvels perspective, he was one of the best villains in the MU and one of the few with legit credibility. They don't need another hero... they have plenty. But they really need good event level villains that readers buy as super credible threats. And apart from maybe Doom, Thanos is probably the biggest and baddest they have.

Had Starlin kept him a villain, there wouldn't be this inevitable back and forth.
    If they want to keep him as a villain at least write him as a genius schemer with professorial dialogue and not as a jumping, thuggish brute. That's the Hulk style not Thanos.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-30-2019 at 04:17 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Back in the days when Thanos still had his Thanos Copter, and eventually was dragged away by the police:
    thanos 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    Back in the days when Thanos still had his Thanos Copter, and eventually was dragged away by the police:
    thanos 2.jpg
    That is not canon in the 616 universe.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    That is not canon in the 616 universe.
    It is. Starlin even told me this is where the Infinity Saga truly began.

He can, but I won't read it. I have never really liked any of Starlin's Thanos work. It feels way too self-important.
    Last edited by KC; 10-28-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    He can, but I won't read it. I have never really liked any of Starlin's Thanos work. It feels way too self-important.
    Not even his 1970's Warlock and the Infinity trilogy? Most people still regard those as some of the best Marvel stories.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-28-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It is. Starlin even told me this is where the Infinity Saga truly began.
    The Infinity saga started with his Captain Marvel run.

Did you really talked to him?

No doubt, Starlin writes Thanos best.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    No doubt, Starlin writes Thanos best.
    Don't care what Starlin haters says, even the most self-important Thanos is a more compelling character than a Thuggish Thanos who exists only to give big feats to the heroes. (My favorite character is stronger than your favorite character because he defeated Thanos with a punch)
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 10-29-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Not even his 1970's Warlock and the Infinity trilogy? Most people still regard those as some of the best Marvel stories.
    I have not read every Starlin book under the sun but from what I have read (like his Infinity books) his work has felt way too self-important in my opinion.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Don't care what Starlin haters says, even the most self-important Thanos is a more compelling character than a Thuggish Thanos who exists only to give big feats to the heroes. (My favorite character is stronger than your favorite character because he defeated Thanos with a punch)
    I mean, I dislike both Starlin's Thanos and the modern Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I mean, I dislike both Starlin's Thanos and the modern Thanos.
    I guess Thanos and Adam Warlock's monologues turned you off then.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Yes, yes he should.
    Nobody else get's Thanos.

I don't want the mustache-twirling idiot Bendis gave us, I don't want the daddy-issued space pirate Aaron gave us, I want Thanos as he was supposed to be.

Plus, he creates the most awesome space-Marvel stuff.
    Regarding Thanos Rising, i don't think the dumbing down of Thanos and Death Is entirely Aaron's fault. It's pretty obvious the editors wanted to make Thanks a more creepy and violent villain with none of the character development post-gauntlet and Death a more malevolent entity as to make their relationship less complicated.

However, i do agree with that Aaron has this tendency of writing powerful fantasy characters steeped in fanciful mythology like they are modern day americans. He's a competent writer who suffers from a lack of imagination. He's mostly confortable writing with the tropes of gritty and violent pulp thrillers. This helps him writing characters like Wolverine and Punisher, because Wolvy and Puny are a big pastiche of said pulp thriller tropes. But the people of Titan (they were originally conceived by Starlin as the actual titans of greek mythology before being retconned into being Eternals) and Thanos are not characters suited for a street level thriller story. If someone writes a origin story of Melko/Morgothr where he is a high school kid with daddy issues and no powers who has the hobby of killing small animals and claim it to be totally canon with the Silmarillion, Tolkien's fans would tear that story apart, and rightly so.

I've already made a thread about that story. Like how Kirby's Fourth World fans would likely trash a origin story that turns the New Gods into regular people and Darkseid into Space Ted Bundy with daddy issues.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-03-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    And that's why I'll never understand when people whine about Starlin retconning Thanos treatments of other writers.
    Why yes, [B]if Thor would suddenly go back to being a boastfull blood knight, wouldn't you want it to be retconned?[B/] If Spider-Man would go back to being a selfish wrestler, wouldn't you want it to be retconned? etc etc

Thanos abandoned his Unviersal Conquest/Genocide plans DECADES ago. He didn't even have an army anymore.
    It was all part of intensive character developement by Jim Starlin. And then other writers came along and ignored it.
    I would be pissed too.
    Jason Aaron took care of that and with no retcon in sight unfortunately.