Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    I just see those as unrealistic prices (as in I don't think beyond the short term they will retain that value) - like I remember the prices during the speculator bubble.
    My question to you now is, what do you consider realistic prices?
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I am going digital with comics. Save up on space.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    My question to you now is, what do you consider realistic prices?
    The easy answer is the cost is what the market can bare. I am just saying those very same comics I am seeing sell for $15 right now on Ebay - the spider-verse ones - I saw at the comic book store for about a dollar over cover price - which is what they normally charge all back issues not in the dollar bin. There are just not that rare. Supply and demand. I am sure you can make money regardless - I just don't feel confident I would make money selling recent issues for so much above cover.

I am 50/50 between digital and trades. I couldn't go 100% digital even if I wanted too. I only get digital books that I can't find in print. That and I'm too accustomed to actually feeling the book with my hands, and what if my internet is down? Then I'd be really screwed.

BANNED

One more thing about the digital comics, I have come to enjoy reading comics again like I did when I was a kid. As a kid, I would ride the subway and before I did that I would buy comics from the corner store and read them on the half hour trip on the train. Now as an adult, I can read comics again on my smartphone or tablet while commuting. I am really enjoying my new digital reading experiences.
    Digital comics rejuvenated my love for the medium. I can't see myself ever returning to print versions. I fully understand the few dangers of digital readership...BUT...I'm very convinced that electricity and wifi aren't going away any time soon and the publishers from whom I purchase the most titles now offer DRM-free PDFs, so I've got a file to read even if wifi is compromised. AND...above-and-beyond all...comics are just absolutely and breathtakingly beautiful on my iPad. Although I'm not a huge environmentalist, I still think it's good that I'm not purchasing paper, backing boards, mylar bags and long boxes any more.

FWIW

BANNED

I am DEFINITELY starting to think about abandoning monthlies, though. It's infinitely better to read a TBP straight through. BUT...it's hard to skip all of the nice Image, Oni Press and Valiant monthlies...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    I am DEFINITELY starting to think about abandoning monthlies, though. It's infinitely better to read a TBP straight through. BUT...it's hard to skip all of the nice Image, Oni Press and Valiant monthlies...
    I'm all digital, like you, and I've also done this. It does get tough waiting for a full arc with all the great series that are going on, but I much prefer an arc at a time rather than an issue at a time.

007 girl.

The easy answer is the cost is what the market can bare. I am just saying those very same comics I am seeing sell for $15 right now on Ebay - the spider-verse ones - I saw at the comic book store for about a dollar over cover price - which is what they normally charge all back issues not in the dollar bin. There are just not that rare.
    I only bothered with the 1st print, and managed to get some NM copies at cover price. The variant is selling for upwards of $200...that's one I'm not prepared to take a gamble on, I'd rather spend that money on back-issues that are tried and tested. Like silver-age Spideys in high grade.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I am fairly new to collecting so my collecting habits haven't really changed. I mostly do the digital thing, Marvel from Marvel Unlimited, the rest from sales from the Google play store/Comixology. The exceptions are Ms. Marvel, books with X-23 on the cover, all Dawn books and first appearances of character's I like.

I really only buy the Ms. Marvel books for support reasons as I never even read the physical copies.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    I only bothered with the 1st print, and managed to get some NM copies at cover price. The variant is selling for upwards of $200...that's one I'm not prepared to take a gamble on, I'd rather spend that money on back-issues that are tried and tested. Like silver-age Spideys in high grade.
    Back when there was hope comic book collecting was a good investment I liked knowing what I read had some sort of re-sale value as a validation of my reading choices. In other words, the comics I were reading must be good because others want to spend money to own them after the fact. I miss those days but I don't see them returning.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Reading comics on a smartphone will kill your eyes. If one wants to go the digital route, try tablets with 8 inch screens and up or a laptop.
    Reading on cell phones and tables ruins your eyes. I tried both, but anyway.... Now that I am giving up cell phones and mobile devices, looks like I'll stay with floppies, trades and buying digital to read on the computer (well one series anyway.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    Digital comics rejuvenated my love for the medium. I can't see myself ever returning to print versions. I fully understand the few dangers of digital readership...BUT...I'm very convinced that electricity and wifi aren't going away any time soon and the publishers from whom I purchase the most titles now offer DRM-free PDFs, so I've got a file to read even if wifi is compromised. AND...above-and-beyond all...comics are just absolutely and breathtakingly beautiful on my iPad. Although I'm not a huge environmentalist, I still think it's good that I'm not purchasing paper, backing boards, mylar bags and long boxes any more.

FWIW
    As a new reader to the digital comic book experience I will say that it has forced me to pay attention to the panel and slowed down my reading. That is a good thing. I tend to speed read and on a paper comic book I read without looking at the pictures. The way the digital arranges the word balloons within the panels forces me to slow down and look so I think that is a bonus. It looks like the digital codes I sell from my Marvel paper comics helps pay for my digital purchases via paypal this month so - so far so good with this mixed model approach of buying paper Marvel books - selling the digital codes and then getting everything else in digital.