Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hannibal Lecter runs the detective gauntlet

Hannibal Lecter (composite; any and all feats may be used) runs the following gauntlet whilst doing his usual murder-feast routines and toying with the pursuing detective/crime solver.

1. Nancy Drew (composite)
    2. Hardy Boys (composite)
    3. Encyclopedia Brown
    4. Ms. Marple and Jessica Fletcher team up
    5. Hercule Poirot
    6. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Joan Watson (Elementary)
    7. Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and Watson
    8. Sherlock Holmes (Cumberbatch) and Watson
    9. Composite Sherlock Holmes

How does he fare in each round? And at which round would he be caught and defeated first?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

He gets traced down in seconds by any of the Holmeses. For the others... I have never read Nancy Drew, and nothing of Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown since I was 8 or so. I don't know if any of those would have the resources to track him.

Let's not forget, Lecter actually got caught by the regular old FBI and convicted well before DNA testing would have made that a snap. He's not all that impressive, based on that.

Eyup.
    Hannibal's greatest skill is not making riddles or anything, it's manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    He gets traced down in seconds by any of the Holmeses. For the others... I have never read Nancy Drew, and nothing of Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown since I was 8 or so. I don't know if any of those would have the resources to track him.

Let's not forget, Lecter actually got caught by the regular old FBI and convicted well before DNA testing would have made that a snap. He's not all that impressive, based on that.
    The only person in the FBI who actually caught onto him was someone with a unique ability to empathize or see through others' eyes. TV Hannibal operates in the modern era where DNA testing and several advanced forensic techniques exist.

He is extremely meticulous to the point where the FBI's top forensic guys only find the things he wants them to find. And he typically does it to frame people for a wide variety of murder-sprees he committed.

His psychological manipulation skill is also not to be underestimated.

Let's also not forget that the only reason he got caught at all is cause Will Graham esentially got lucky. In fact, if you watch the scene from Red Dragon, Graham hadn't even got to the point of accusing Lecter, he had just noticed that Lecter missed the patern in the case, and Lecter decided he had gotten to close. Will Graham is a unique individual, as Sophicles has already pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Hannibal Lecter (composite; any and all feats may be used) runs the following gauntlet whilst doing his usual murder-feast routines and toying with the pursuing detective/crime solver.

1. Nancy Drew (composite)
    2. Hardy Boys (composite)
    3. Encyclopedia Brown
    4. Ms. Marple and Jessica Fletcher team up
    5. Hercule Poirot
    6. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Joan Watson (Elementary)
    7. Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and Watson
    8. Sherlock Holmes (Cumberbatch) and Watson
    9. Composite Sherlock Holmes

How does he fare in each round? And at which round would he be caught and defeated first?
    no Jane Tennison from Prime Suspect?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    The only person in the FBI who actually caught onto him was someone with a unique ability to empathize or see through others' eyes. TV Hannibal operates in the modern era where DNA testing and several advanced forensic techniques exist.

He is extremely meticulous to the point where the FBI's top forensic guys only find the things he wants them to find. And he typically does it to frame people for a wide variety of murder-sprees he committed.

His psychological manipulation skill is also not to be underestimated.
    It's been awhile, but in the book, didn't he toy with the FBI and Interpol for decades before Will Graham finally caught him?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HFMM View Post
    It's been awhile, but in the book, didn't he toy with the FBI and Interpol for decades before Will Graham finally caught him?
    Not on a daily basis or anything. He enjoyed some livers with some fava beans and a nice Chianti for a while before getting caught - it's what made him a serial killer, after all. Also, he was so ludicrously brutal with some of what he did that it was hard for the "normal" investigators to get a handle on it.

Thing is, if one of the Holmeses gets on his case, they will spot what everyone else missed nearly immediately, and none of them would pre-suppose a limit of human depravity (since many of their cases already involve things somewhat like that).

Now, it's slightly possible that Lecter could somehow toy with Miller-Holmes to get him to fall into drugs (his addiction and recovery is a key point in the show, after all), but that's something that would be really hard with his current supports. And it wouldn't be fast enough to stop him from catching the guy, in all likelihood.

Incredible Member

Just a couple of observations-

Lecter seems intrigued and charmed by clever female detectives, so I think he'd form a Clarise-like relationship with Nancy Drew.

If a Lecter-Graham type confrontation was ever to happen between Lecter and Downey Jr. Holmes, at least Holmes could probably bounce back from that first stab and beat the crap out of Lecter.

And one question. I haven't read any of the books, I've only seen the movies. How was it that the survival of Mason Verger didn't result in Lecter's immediate capture and prosecution for at least that one attack? Was he in a coma or something until after Lecter was caught?

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    How was it that the survival of Mason Verger didn't result in Lecter's immediate capture and prosecution for at least that one attack? Was he in a coma or something until after Lecter was caught?
    I gather that Mason didn't want him caught by the FBI, but to have his hirelings do it. He wanted to torment Hannibal and feed him, alive, to his pigs.

Also, I don't think Mason knew Lecter was the Chesapeake Ripper before Graham caught him. Unless I'm mistaken, all Mason knew was that Lecter gave him "poppers" and manipulated him into cutting off his own face.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Not on a daily basis or anything. He enjoyed some livers with some fava beans and a nice Chianti for a while before getting caught - it's what made him a serial killer, after all. Also, he was so ludicrously brutal with some of what he did that it was hard for the "normal" investigators to get a handle on it.

Thing is, if one of the Holmeses gets on his case, they will spot what everyone else missed nearly immediately, and none of them would pre-suppose a limit of human depravity (since many of their cases already involve things somewhat like that).

Now, it's slightly possible that Lecter could somehow toy with Miller-Holmes to get him to fall into drugs (his addiction and recovery is a key point in the show, after all), but that's something that would be really hard with his current supports. And it wouldn't be fast enough to stop him from catching the guy, in all likelihood.
    He doesn't have to do it on a daily basis. Being able to do so, in the way he did it, points to the fact that it'll take more then the regular old FBI to handle this guy. It take exceptional people like Homles to do so.

I see him getting past the first few rounds with stunning ease. Miller-Lock will be his first real challange, but I think he can get past him too, but he'll have to work a little. Once Lecter gets to Downey-Lock, he will get caught, and there is nothing Lecter could do to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalla_The_Black View Post
    Once Lecter gets to Downey-Lock, he will get caught, and there is nothing Lecter could do to stop him.
    In that situation, if Sherlock is anywhere within Lecter's ambit, Lecter would realize his danger and either disappear, or strike first and try to kill him.

I'm not entirely sure striking first would do it for him. Downey-Lock's level of perception, plus his combat pre-cog, would make a H2H fight a stomp. Plus, Watson will be with him, so Lecter will also have to contend with a military trained man with a sword.

Sherlock (BBC), had Sherlock go against a Hannibal type manipulator with a memory palace (purposely cast by using NBC-Madds-Hannibal's brother as the villain), and he had Sherlock (AND Mycroft) so screwed by situation that Sherlock's solution to the case was simply to kill him.

TV Hannibal has REALLY good H2H skills, but nowhere the level of precog Downey Sherlock, which is a problem. So, basically, it would probably come down to a similar manipulation type thing, with Hannibal on top, and then he gets killed by Downey.