View Poll Results: Which version of the Sentry/Void relationship do you prefer?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Sentry and the Void as two halves of the same person

9 37.50%
  • The Sentry and the Void as two completely different entities

4 16.67%
  • The Sentry without the Void

2 8.33%
  • The Void without the Sentry

0 0%
  • No Sentry or Void at all

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Sentry/Void Debate

In Earth-616 (mainstream comics), the Sentry was a superpowered man named Robert Reynolds who suffered a mental illness as his archnemesis the Void was his dark persona.

In Earth-1611 (Age of the Sentry comics), the Sentry was a mentally healthy superhero and the Void was a separate supervillain originally a gangster named Eddie Emmerick.

Personally, I prefer Bob Reynolds as a healthy individual with the Void as a separate character. This is, of course, an idea for my own version of the MU (Earth-1138), because my version of the Marvel Universe is designed to be accessible for children.

Which version of the Sentry/Void relationship do you prefer: two halves of the same person or two completely different people?
    Last edited by OptimusPrime114; 01-18-2015 at 06:34 PM.

I prefer the original way the character was. A mentally healthy hero, that's powers manifested as an evil opposite when used too much. Hated the schizophrenic crybaby version. So disappointing.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I like Bob and the Void being one and the same. Think it makes him stick out from the flying brick crowd a little.

BANNED

I like the idea of 616 Sentry. Involving him in a story instantly added weight. But in the post-Civil War pre-Heroic Age gap he was overused to the point of losing his effect. At this point there's no reason why anyone should trust him at all.

i liked to watch him struggle with the void, who's the evil half of the sentry
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

What about...?

The Sentry and Void "exist" as the psionic creations of the reality warper, Joseph "Licorice" Calhoun. Robert Reynolds was actually a down on his luck drunkard that happened to be in the alley the night that Calhoun was beaten into a coma by the mob. Not wanting any witnesses, the mob also killed the real Bob Reynolds that night. Calhoun, left for dead, transfixed on Bob and created the Sentry persona with Reynolds as his psionic template after Calhoun lapsed into a coma. The "Void" that Bob fears is really the truth, a metaphor for the harsh reality of the real world that all men fear. This would explain the Sentry's feats and his entire retcon. It would explain why Reynolds is as powerful as he is. It would explain why his psionic defenses are off the charts. And it would explain why he has almost complete control of his molecular structure. He isn't real. He's the construct of a very, very powerful mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    What about...?

The Sentry and Void "exist" as the psionic creations of the reality warper, Joseph "Licorice" Calhoun. Robert Reynolds was actually a down on his luck drunkard that happened to be in the alley the night that Calhoun was beaten into a coma by the mob. Not wanting any witnesses, the mob also killed the real Bob Reynolds that night. Calhoun, left for dead, transfixed on Bob and created the Sentry persona with Reynolds as his psionic template after Calhoun lapsed into a coma. The "Void" that Bob fears is really the truth, a metaphor for the harsh reality of the real world that all men fear. This would explain the Sentry's feats and his entire retcon. It would explain why Reynolds is as powerful as he is. It would explain why his psionic defenses are off the charts. And it would explain why he has almost complete control of his molecular structure. He isn't real. He's the construct of a very, very powerful mind.
    Whoa. Kinda ties together the whole "Bob took the serum to get high" origin that was floating around.

By the way, is there an actual in story explantation for the Sentry's powers? I thought they had finally decided to SSS times a million explanation for him but then I remember the Bendis comics that had the Void as this ancient powerful and evil entity.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I think Bob Reynolds is the Sentry but he creates the Void due to his psychosis. He doesn't know how to deal with his powers and he loses touch with reality. He wants to be good like most of us do so he has created the Sentry persona but his darker urges manifest in the Void. It's rather brilliant when used effectively and it makes him one of the most interesting Marvel characters. I'm glad he's back but I hope only a great writer will be able to use him. They should keep him off the board awhile longer.

Since "616" is the only version I'm familiar with, I'll go with that one..

I think the Sentry, got a bad wrap, because he couldn't be f'd with, so he easily bruised ego's..
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I think Bob Reynolds is the Sentry but he creates the Void due to his psychosis. He doesn't know how to deal with his powers and he loses touch with reality. He wants to be good like most of us do so he has created the Sentry persona but his darker urges manifest in the Void. It's rather brilliant when used effectively and it makes him one of the most interesting Marvel characters. I'm glad he's back but I hope only a great writer will be able to use him. They should keep him off the board awhile longer.
    He is, where'd he show up at, I'm interested to see what they do with him this time around...

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I only hated the fake back canon write ins. I was cool with the idea of the crazy and powerful be brought to 616.
    But none of that dated Rouge,BFF with Nate Grey off panel crap.
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 01-19-2015 at 02:09 AM.

If you remove the Void, the Sentry is no longer the Sentry. His duality is at the core of the character. Sentry without the Void would be Superman or Sungod or Hyperion or Blue Marvel.

I'm not sure what to make of the Bob/Sentry/Void relationship. Sometimes Bob and Sentry are completely different characters, sometimes Sentry is Bob with superpowers, sometimes Sentry seems to be sort of an illusory projection.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Sentry/Void should exist in a universe unto itself and never be mentioned.

But I really don't see the point in having one without the other. Without the Void, Sentry is just a Superman pastiche with blond hair. And we've got Hyperion for that.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

The Sentry bored the crap out of me to be honest. So I would never buy a solo with him, with or without the Void personally speaking.

Fantastic Member

I like a Void-based Sentry, who temporarily comes back to the Marvel Universe in 2015, is humbled by a more confident Owen Reece, and slithers back to the annals of history, never to be heard from again.